TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Looks AWESOME. (Actually looks better than Blue Fire, which I really liked).

I love that the Great America coaster and now this coaster are incorporating air time bumps in their launches (or shortly thereafter) -- cool new development.

My favorite coaster announced so far, and there have been a lot of good ones (Kennywood's might still be the dark horse, but CW, SFMM, SFGaM and now this one all look great -- and UNIQUE).

2019 is shaping up nicely.

Ever since it was "leaked" that this would be a Mack (when the parts started showing up) I've been super excited about this project. Blue Fire and Icon are two rides I've been dying to try. This so far is the 2019 coaster I'm most excited for!

Also the whole new Blue Ridge Junction themed area sounds like a fantastic idea. Assuming the flyers will be coming back in this area. Looking forward to seeing what the other surprises are they mentioned to be announced later.

Hopefully this is the first coaster in a nice healthy business partnership between Mack and CF. I would love more Mack Rides to make their way to US parks!

I'm super happy to see Mack really getting more big coasters into the US, but the ending on this one seems a bit drawn out...dare I say "Great Bear-ish". At least the first part of the ride is awesome and long enough that I won't let that ending bother me!

There can never be enough Mack launch coasters! They are all fantastic, enjoyable rides. Dang, I am so jealous right now

When I saw the airtime hill during the second launch, I immediately thought of Pulsar. That's the best element on that ride.

DSC_0512.thumb.JPG.44ff1617bbee406b0e6b31175d8ed4a2.JPG

Pulsar - Walibi Belgium

I'm super happy to see Mack really getting more big coasters into the US, but the ending on this one seems a bit drawn out...dare I say "Great Bear-ish". At least the first part of the ride is awesome and long enough that I won't let that ending bother me!

I thought that a bit too, but it will depend on the speed of it, I think. The POV made everything feel very leisurely (and that may be the most accurate), but the third animation (I think it was a mix of off-ride and some POV) had everything sped up and those turns looked intense, so who knows?

The launch air-time hill, the compactness of it, this will be an awesome. It's like Maverick evolved into a beast.

I get what you mean by calling it Maverick but I think this one will be tamer yet tons of fun. I love Mack coasters and this will be an amazing addition to Carowinds!

Cedar Fair just crapped all over all Six Flags' 2019 additions. Well done!

The launch air-time hill, the compactness of it, this will be an awesome. It's like Maverick evolved into a beast.

I get what you mean by calling it Maverick but I think this one will be tamer yet tons of fun. I love Mack coasters and this will be an amazing addition to Carowinds!

Cedar Fair to date

Yukon Striker

Copper Head Strike

Frontier chellenge island thing

Please help me on the rest

Kings Mills autos

WOF?

Dorney?

MIA?

VF?

Knotts?

CGA?

KD?

Six Flags

1 giant discovery

2 giga discovery

1 S&S free fly

Endeavor 24

S&S air launch

Premier lsm launch

Chance freestyle

Snake halfpipe slide

Funtime star flyer

bucker blaster ride

Frontier city kids area

Larson super loop

Larson loop

Cedar Fair has not annoucned enough rides yet to compare

Edited by grsupercity

This looks like a nice ride, but I think Maxx Force and West Coast Racers are also both just as strong. I don't expect every single Six Flags park to get a giant new coaster every single year, and I don't think that Cedar Fair is being that different from Six Flags by giving a couple of parks major new attractions, a couple of parks medium-sized new attractions, and then everything else.

Personally I think that Six Flags and Cedar Fair are about on par with each other if you look at the bigger picture. Just my personal thoughts...

Edited by robbalvey

this looks great, although it does appear (at least to me) that the hang times in the loops & JoJo are slowed down for effect in the animation.

but it looks fantastic, if maybe a bit too meandering in the last third. . .

makes me wanna go back next year to Carowinds.

This is really an incredible addition to Carowinds! Man this park has been killing it for a while now, Cedar Fair is really investing the money they need to to make it a destination park. My only complaint when I went this year was their staffing issues where many many rides didn't open until 1pm or so, but in previous years I had never seen Carowinds have that issue. Seems like that might not be unique to Carowinds w/ the issues Kennywood is having right now.

As for the Cedar Fair vs. Six Flags thing, it just seems like Cedar Fair views their parks as more long term investments where Six Flags scrounges up some pennies to toss a ride where possible. For example, this Copperhead Strike addition comes with a refurbed restaurant, it's own area, a really long coaster layout from a comparatively expensive manufacturer, the hotel... this is a ton of cash invested. When I see that and compare it to my home park of SFGAm I can't help but see the huge difference. YES an air-powered launch is going to be very intense and unique, I cannot wait to ride Maxx Force (that inversion looks insane) but it's a ~15 second ride. Joker and Goliath, our last 2 coasters, are also infamously short and neither of them came with other large investments into the park. That said, I'll take one of those 400' Star Flyers or 17 story Giant Discoveries any day of the week, Six Flags is doing that part right at least.

So far I think this will be my most anticipated U.S. coaster next year.

Those circular loops could offer some really interesting forces or be the tamest thing ever. It's hard to tell. Overall this is probably the second strongest mega-coaster layout Mack has done after Helix and a pretty good one considering its making do with flat terrain.

This is really an incredible addition to Carowinds! Man this park has been killing it for a while now, Cedar Fair is really investing the money they need to to make it a destination park. My only complaint when I went this year was their staffing issues where many many rides didn't open until 1pm or so, but in previous years I had never seen Carowinds have that issue. Seems like that might not be unique to Carowinds w/ the issues Kennywood is having right now.

As for the Cedar Fair vs. Six Flags thing, it just seems like Cedar Fair views their parks as more long term investments where Six Flags scrounges up some pennies to toss a ride where possible. For example, this Copperhead Strike addition comes with a refurbed restaurant, it's own area, a really long coaster layout from a comparatively expensive manufacturer, the hotel... this is a ton of cash invested. When I see that and compare it to my home park of SFGAm I can't help but see the huge difference. YES an air-powered launch is going to be very intense and unique, I cannot wait to ride Maxx Force (that inversion looks insane) but it's a ~15 second ride. Joker and Goliath, our last 2 coasters, are also infamously short and neither of them came with other large investments into the park. That said, I'll take one of those 400' Star Flyers or 17 story Giant Discoveries any day of the week, Six Flags is doing that part right at least.

I dont understand why we have to continue to compare the 2 park chains. Both chains are getting some great rides. They ALL look like a blast, and I can't wait to ride them. Both park chains have pros and cons.

With that being said, I wonder if the theaming in the video will carry into real life? I'm loving the barn theme and launch area.

This looks fantastic! I'll have to plan another trip down to Carowinds next year. It'll be great to have another solid (non-skippable) coaster in the lineup to tear me away from Fury a bit. The theming looks great, and I'm also interested to see how that airtime launch bit will feel!

You know how Cheetah Hunt's 3rd launch isn't all that intense... that's how I imagine the 2nd launch on Copperhead, but with a normal airtime hill thrown in. I don't think that this element is going to be all that revolutionary. Remember the shed people, don't set yourself up for disappointment. Heck, it's only labelled as a second launch, they didn't even mention it has an a.t. hill in it.

With that said, I'm freaking excited for this coaster! The entire thing looks fun from start to finish. I love the theme, the name, the trains look awesome and its a Mack ride to boot! I haven't been on Fury, and I haven't been in a hurry to get back to Carowinds since my last trip in 2010, but this makes me want to go back!