TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Cedar Fair is largely investing in Carowinds. Fury 325 has completely revitalized the park and has made a gargantuan impact on the industry, as well as the Charlotte community. With the recent announcement for the Spring Hill Suites Charlotte Carowinds, and the strong possibility of another coaster to come in 2019. Carowinds seems like the southern optimum of Cedar Fair.

I think Carowinds is beyond just Fury 325 and Afterburn. Intimidator is a very good coaster. It is one of the better hypers out there. I don't have a problem with Hurler or Nighthawk. Neither are an elite coaster but I will ride them. They also have quite a few options for family coasters. The park is clean and with the rumor of them getting a launch coaster in 2019, they are a wooden roller coaster away from having a line-up that could match up to most parks.

The attractions may be lackluster, but the overall atmosphere of the park doesn't remind me of Six Flags at all. The rides blend in well with the shaded scenery and I like the park's atmosphere. I enjoy the mixture of the very modern entrance plaza and main street followed my Carolina charm throughout a large portion of the park. I also like the park's small size. Beer man's rocking chairs are a nice added touch in my book.

The atmosphere is terrible. Everything is plopped in the middle of nowhere.

Uh, I think I must have visited the same park as Zach as opposed to this mystical "plop in the middle of nowhere" one you visited. I thought it was a nice park -- perhaps not as nice as some of the other Cedar Fair parks but still a wonderful park to walk around, ride, and relax. But IDK man, you do you I guess.

I'm really looking forward to getting back down there later this month. It's been over a year since my last and only visit, and I'm planning on taking my time rather than rushing to credit-whore everything in the park.

Carowinds is now my home park. I am originally from Cincinnati where KI was my home park as a kid/teenager. It took me some time to appreciate Carowinds since it wasn't on the level of KI and KD, but once I started going and researching it's history, I found that it has a unique charm (southern?) all it's own.

If you were to visit carowindsearlyyears.com you will see that it had just as much impact (historically) on anyone that grew up in Charlotte as much as any other parks did for their respective time. A lot of folks that are true Charlotteans (made up word) have a very special place in their heart for this park and I, for one am glad CF sees potential in it enough to make sizable investments.

Ride On!

The atmosphere is terrible. Everything is plopped in the middle of nowhere.

Well that's like... your opinion, man.

Ozp7qQ7.jpg

Also, out of my three visits to Charlotte, we've encountered some of the most friendly and hospitable people we've ever encountered on trips. We experienced this anywhere from the employees at local commodities stores, to restaurant wait staff, hotel staff, and any of the people we contact in the general public. The racial divide appears to be exponentially less than my hometown of the St. Louis burbs.

I've got a couple weeks until my Carowinds stop on the way to the Atlantic ocean. Unlike last year, I'm going to spend more than 2 hours at the park

If the weather is warm enough, I'm definitely going to check out the water park. Looks great!

For those who enjoy BBQ - check out Mac's Speed Shop not too far from Carowinds.

http://www.macspeedshop.com/southend/

Excellent beer selection, great smoked wings that don't even need sauce, and a variety of delicious fried things.

http://www.macspeedshop.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MacsMenuWeb.pdf

Last year it was bumpin' on a Friday night. You know you're in for good food when there are 50+ motorcycles parked out front. Looking forward to making a stop back there after my Carowinds run!

Mac's Speed Shop is tits. We have one in Greensboro that I can walk to. Best wings in town and killer beer selection. If we didn't have platinum dining passes we would have gone there to eat on our recent trip.

The one on Sandy Porter Rd. Is closer if you're going from the park to lunch: http://www.macspeedshop.com/steele-creek/

Mac's Speed Shop is tits. We have one in Greensboro that I can walk to. Best wings in town and killer beer selection. If we didn't have platinum dining passes we would have gone there to eat on our recent trip.

The one on Sandy Porter Rd. Is closer if you're going from the park to lunch: http://www.macspeedshop.com/steele-creek/

Tits! Look at that, it can be used in different ways.

That's the one we went to, not the one closer to downtown. I was looking at the map and kinda shrugged off the '18 minutes from Carowinds' since I couldn't remember how long it took to get here. Thanks for the link!

I, for one, haven't been bothered by the Carowinds criticism in the thread, since it basically matches my experience. I thought Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, and Dorney had a better atmosphere. It was my least favorite Cedar Fair park until a particularly lackluster visit to Dorney. That said, it's clearly one of those CF parks that has improved a ton since my visit.

And I didn't realize "top drawer" was ever used as general slang. That's the name of a boutique near me, and it always throws me off because it doesn't stick in my mind or really fit what the store is like to me.

I've got a couple weeks until my Carowinds stop on the way to the Atlantic ocean. Unlike last year, I'm going to spend more than 2 hours at the park

If the weather is warm enough, I'm definitely going to check out the water park. Looks great!

For those who enjoy BBQ - check out Mac's Speed Shop not too far from Carowinds.

Excellent beer selection, great smoked wings that don't even need sauce, and a variety of delicious fried things.

http://www.macspeedshop.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MacsMenuWeb.pdf

Last year it was bumpin' on a Friday night. You know you're in for good food when there are 50+ motorcycles parked out front. Looking forward to making a stop back there after my Carowinds run!

Charlotte honestly has so many great restaurants. I really miss living there sometimes - agree on Mac's, great place!

My friend and I stumbled upon this place. It was pretty good with a decent BBQ type atmosphere.

Also, right before the entrance is Frugal MacDoogal where you can see reflections of Fury in the front windows!

http://www.frugalmacdoogal.net/

I almost learned the hard way what I already knew, which is not to drink parking lot beers at Amusement parks... Next time we'll be more discrete.

Mac's Speed Shop is tits

I’m only 20 and this new slang is getting over my head

:O WAIT, we should do a daily slang forum where everyday we teach everyone a new slang word people use in this generation. ((((:

• 3 weeks later...

“Cedar Fair Roller Coaster Construction” FB page just posted these photos:

46D1E7D9-4BE4-40F2-AA52-FEBFD1B35709.thumb.jpeg.d3592c96cef422f211b1c89f02f5bea3.jpeg

E759AA7D-B396-4BCE-8E66-491CFBE851BC.thumb.jpeg.512688c82efc096208068ee1516f6323.jpeg

6CB37120-CFE6-4412-9419-CE043D34B190.thumb.jpeg.0a7ff13cde774835d47ed6906af15a20.jpeg

C9DA8993-A041-4126-8388-5C84F8C5C39D.thumb.jpeg.6c14b0c8bf5dffb25f9f8738c564cd28.jpeg

When compared to Helix’s construction photos, you can definitely see the resemblance...

5D30874D-E960-496F-AACD-1A658FEF8A97.thumb.jpeg.f1dfc2bae91f10011409a0c556253688.jpeg

Edited by DJeXeL

Mac's Speed Shop is tits

I’m only 20 and this new slang is getting over my head

i work on cars, and it is, or was a pretty prevalent saying back in the day in the garage. i don't hear or see it too often these days. guys would also say the other body part as well.