TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Don't know if it's typical, but we arrived at 9:30 this morning and the park was open and Fury was running. We walked on and then had a station wait for the 2nd ride before 9:45. No ERT was listed for today and everyone was going in.

In other news, holy hell the airtime on Fury 325! What a great coaster.

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Carowinds, my experiences there have felt like it's more a Six Flags park with a Cedar Fair name. However if they are getting a Mack coaster and it's not spinning haha then this is on my must visit list in 2019.

If this indeed turns out to be a Mack coaster of some sorts, that makes me a happy camper. I’m glad to see Cedar Fair finally start purchasing from a variety of coaster manufacturers rather than just B&M all the time. Now we see them have a relationship with RMC, Gerstlauer, and Mack in addition to B&M and GCI.

I wouldn't say I get a "Six Flags vibe" from Carowinds, but my kids and I just went a couple weeks ago, and all of us just came away feeling like coaster-wise, it's really Fury-winds, and then some other stuff. Afterburn and Marginalized: The Coaster are both solid, but beyond that... Meh. That's why I think if this next addition is a large and thrilling coaster, it's certainly something the park could use as Cedar Fair continues to try and bolster its position in the Southeast. Here's hoping!

I wouldn't say I get a "Six Flags vibe" from Carowinds, but my kids and I just went a couple weeks ago, and all of us just came away feeling like coaster-wise, it's really Fury-winds, and then some other stuff. Afterburn and Marginalized: The Coaster are both solid, but beyond that... Meh. That's why I think if this next addition is a large and thrilling coaster, it's certainly something the park could use as Cedar Fair continues to try and bolster its position in the Southeast. Here's hoping!

This is essentially how I feel. After the REALLY solid top 3 (two fantastic, but very different, hypers and a kicka$$ invert), the park falls kinda flat coaster-wise. Some of the flats are good like Electro-Spin, Drop Tower, and Windseeker, but the rest of the coasters are mediocre at best.

I am 100% behind a Mack launch coaster, spinning or not, coming to this park next year, if that turns out to be the case.

Exactly how I felt. For a first timer, there were plenty of credits to grab but on a return visit, I see myself sticking heavily to the Big 3 plus the rumored new for 2019 coaster.

Carowinds app was useless. It said "Let's go! No line" for every ride I checked all day even when Intimidator's queue was out to the entrance sign and Fury 325 was probably at 90 minutes. Luckily we got multiples on Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn with our longest wait being about 30 minutes. We have Platinum passes so we bailed around 2:30 when the lines were getting ridiculous.

We also have platinum dining passes so I opted for the ribs at Harmony Hall. They were not as good as the smokehouse at BGW, but not bad for a theme park. We walked through Camp Snoopy on our way to Afterburn and it looks really good, best looking area of the park IMO.

I guess I will echo some of the above sentiments and say that as someone who just wants to ride coasters, this park is Fury, Intimidator and Afterburn and not much else. I wanted to ride Goldrusher for nostalgia reasons (it's been over 30 years), but the line was crazy by the time we thought about it. My one ride on Hurler convinced me Carowinds should RMC that one and get a new woodie. Fury 325 is probably my new favorite. I thought I preferred more compact inverts with lots of inversions, but this coaster changed my mind. I'm sure I will be making trips to Carowinds a few times this year just for Fury and Afterburn.

I'm in the minority, but the fact that Carowinds has the big three and not much more doesn't bother me. This is because the park has a great vibe and the atmosphere is great. It allows me to have a beer and relax without being torn between rides. The park has come a long way since it had the "big 1," being Top Gun. We've all become spoiled.

Fury-winds

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Carowinds, my experiences there have felt like it's more a Six Flags park with a Cedar Fair name.

tenor.gif

Carowinds isn’t that nice. It’s Fury and Afterburn you go for and everything else is pretty lackluster imo.

The attractions may be lackluster, but the overall atmosphere of the park doesn't remind me of Six Flags at all. The rides blend in well with the shaded scenery and I like the park's atmosphere. I enjoy the mixture of the very modern entrance plaza and main street followed my Carolina charm throughout a large portion of the park. I also like the park's small size. Beer man's rocking chairs are a nice added touch in my book.

I hope the new roller coaster will round our the selection nicely between Afterburn, Intimidator, Fury, and whatever this thing is going to be.

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Carowinds, my experiences there have felt like it's more a Six Flags park with a Cedar Fair name.

tenor.gif

Carowinds isn’t that nice. It’s Fury and Afterburn you go for and everything else is pretty lackluster imo.

The attractions may be lackluster, but the overall atmosphere of the park doesn't remind me of Six Flags at all. The rides blend in well with the shaded scenery and I like the park's atmosphere. I enjoy the mixture of the very modern entrance plaza and main street followed my Carolina charm throughout a large portion of the park. I also like the park's small size. Beer man's rocking chairs are a nice added touch in my book.

I hope the new roller coaster will round our the selection nicely between Afterburn, Intimidator, Fury, and whatever this thing is going to be.

The atmosphere is terrible. Everything is plopped in the middle of nowhere.