TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

If you want a "trick" for stand up coasters, slightly bend your knees until they lock the seats in place, and then fully lengthen your legs. It gives you a gap between the base and your privates

The ops at Carowinds actually instruct you to do this and then check to make sure everyone does, which was surprising to me! I already knew but most people don't know the trick and the dedication from the employees impressed me.

The Comfort Inn across the street wasn't bad...and was quite reasonable in terms of price.

I wanted to think that we paid about $100 or so on a summer weeknight. Their site says that it's an eight minute walk to the park, but when we went it was like 150 degrees so we drove over and got the nice preferred parking that they have for platinum pass holders.

The Comfort Inn across the street wasn't bad...and was quite reasonable in terms of price.

I wanted to think that we paid about $100 or so on a summer weeknight. Their site says that it's an eight minute walk to the park, but when we went it was like 150 degrees so we drove over and got the nice preferred parking that they have for platinum pass holders.

I can get it for 80 right now. Pretty alluring since it's right across the street. I don't have a car so as long as they'll hold my crap while I'm at the park on Friday that's a DEAL

I highly highly highly recommend staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Charlotte Pineville. Rooms are amazing. Staff was wonderful! It's maybe 5 minutes from the park, you make maybe two turns if that. So recommend this place!!

IMG_1605.thumb.PNG.128d59281edafebd3b42e4234adf5e9f.PNG

It. Is. HAPPENING.

I'll be visiting the park for the first time since we called the coasters "BORG" and "Top Gun".

Any recommendations on hotels close to the park?

Excited to finally ride Fury after flying over it 48 effing times.

Well, if you're on a budget, I might not be the best person for this, seeing as I've worked in the hotel industry before and usually willing to pay a little more for a place that's nice, but I stayed at two places down there last year and really liked both of them.

The first was the Best Western Plus Sterling Hotel & Suites, and the second was the Hampton Inn just off of Arrowood Road. Not sure what the rates are, but if I had to go one way or the other, the Hampton Inn is closer and getting to and from the park is a bit easier, it was also a bit better furnished, and also had a better breakfast buffet. They both have waffle makers, though, which is the important thing. Nothing like trying to kill yourself with a cup or two of freshly ironed waffle batter smothered in syrup to kick off a day of walking in a miasma of oppressive heat and tourist BO.

Seriously though, both are nice, quiet, well put-together places that you can't go wrong with.

I almost always stay at a Marriott or Hilton hotel and I'll diddo that Hampton. As long as you don't make a wrong turn you'll be at the park in five minutes or so. I paid about $90.

I went to the park for the first time yesterday; the weather was absolutely perfect. Fury exceeded my expectations (which were already high!). Definitely my new favorite steel! I was surprised to find that the park wasn't busy at all, despite it being a Saturday. Maybe I'm just used to Cedar Point.....

When I went on a Saturday in July last year, lines weren't too bad. I got a FastLane to ensure many rerides on Fury, but most of the coasters were walk-ons with the exception of Nighthawk (looked to be about an hour), Fury (30 minutes midday, more at night), and Intimidator (15-30 minutes). Even Afterburn had no line all day.

The park really hauls in getting out dispatches.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to the park at opening today and had 7 rides on Fury325 to start the day. I did a couple of laps around the park but didn't ride much. Afterburn still runs great. The ride cycle on Woodstock Gliders seemed much shorter than I remember. I really like Plants vs. Zombies, even though I had to rude 3 times before i got a decent gun. I think the County Fair area looks great. I was going to turn the new restraints on the Boomerang, the crowds started picking up by the time I thought about it at 3PM.

Comfort Inn booked @ $80. Pretty solid deal AND I'm neighbors with a Culvers.

I'm making sure to get in at a solid time on Thursday night so I can go out and relax. Anyone have reccos for dinner/bar close to the park? I'm all down for solid bar food, but also love trying new things like Bolivian food, etc.

I'm making sure to get in at a solid time on Thursday night so I can go out and relax. Anyone have reccos for dinner/bar close to the park? I'm all down for solid bar food, but also love trying new things like Bolivian food, etc.

Hi Jizzman, Carowinds is my home park and one of the best kept secrets near the park is "A Piece of Havana" cuban restaurant. It's about 9 minutes outside the front gate on South Tryon St and has a full bar. I can recommend the Cuban Press if it's a sandwich your looking for and the Lechon Asado (Roasted Pork) is a must. Of course a couple of Mohitos from the bar are mandatory if you drink.!!

^^Also if you decide on a chain place, there is a TGI Fridays, Buffalo Wild Wings and a place called Hickory Tavern (Sports bar with pub grub) on S. Tryon St @ Steel Creek Rd south of the place listed above. Those seem to be the closest places to the park. If all else fails, you can just get some liquor next door to your hotel at Frugal MacDoogals. It's a huge liquor store.

Hi Jizzman, Carowinds is my home park and one of the best kept secrets near the park is "A Piece of Havana" cuban restaurant. It's about 9 minutes outside the front gate on South Tryon St and has a full bar. I can recommend the Cuban Press if it's a sandwich your looking for and the Lechon Asado (Roasted Pork) is a must. Of course a couple of Mohitos from the bar are mandatory if you drink.!!

This sounds right up my alley.

If all else fails, you can just get some liquor next door to your hotel at Frugal MacDoogals. It's a huge liquor store.

Also thank you for pointing out there's a liquor store right next to me! I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of that...but that is a fantastic plan b!

Even Afterburn had no line all day.

This could very well be one of the most under-appreciated coasters out there...

Ok... I've gotta' say it... The whole "Afterburn is one of the most under-appreciated coasters out there" line, mostly coming from enthusiasts, is SO commonplace now, it's actually become almost overrated in my opinion! I mean, I enjoyed it more than Raptor, the middle of the road Inverts, and the Batmen, but not as much as Banshee, Alpengeist, or Montu. After how much enthusiasts had hyped it, I guess I had expected it to be more in line with those fantastic inverts, but did not. To each their own I guess!

When I went on a Saturday in July last year, lines weren't too bad....... The park really hauls in getting out dispatches.

Hauling on dispatches is an understatement with Carowinds! Every time we've been there we are more and more impressed.

I got to the park at opening today and had 7 rides on Fury325 to start the day. I did a couple of laps around the park but didn't ride much. Afterburn still runs great. The ride cycle on Woodstock Gliders seemed much shorter than I remember. I really like Plants vs. Zombies, even though I had to ride 3 times before i got a decent gun.

Hey Larry, can you try to explain what you like about Plants vs. Zombies? When we rode it last year we thought it was the stupidest thing on the planet. We had no idea what we were doing except sort of shooting at things, but there didn't seem to be any way to tell who shot what or when or why. Boyfriend thought it was horrible. It's got air conditioning and you sit down for several minutes so I really want to like it... convert me, please!