TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^ Even before they were painted, Millennium Force and Afterburn never jumped out at me as needing paint, I wasn't going out of my way and looking for problems but at a lot of Six Flags parks you don't have to look. Talon has always been so vibrant that it almost doesn't look real. That ride has always looked like the park paints the entire thing on a daily basis. I can't speak for Diamondback, but to compare any of these things to what goes on at a park like Six Flags Great Adventure or La Ronde is ridiculous on so many levels.

^Superman at SFGAd literally looks like an abandoned coaster in a third-world country. It's really been getting ugly recently.

Exactly, this is not an exaggeration at all. And keep in mind that Superman has the most prominent location of any coaster in the park. It's right next to the front gate and everyone walks right by it on the way in. Nitro looks equally awful and Bizarro is getting there.

I can only speak for Six Flags ATL. Goliath looks horrid to be a front entrance coaster along with Georgia Scorcher that's right near the walkway the pedestrians have to walk to get to the gate. Scorcher is peeling very badly and Goliath so very faded smh. I'm not going to even discuss Superman in the back of the park it's just horrible,

With in Cedar Fair, to me Carowinds have always been the better park to keep up with their rides looking there best and vibrant. I mean Intimidator is 7yrs old and they train seats were replaced with brand new one last season while Diamondback and Kings Island is 8yrs and the seats and restraint handles are just freaking nasty. The head rest itself looks like its full of diseases in the black dirt filled area of the head rest. This just unacceptable.

I have to say, we drove past Carowinds a few weeks ago on our way to a family wedding in South Carolina. Fury looked even crazier than I imagined seeing it in person (albeit for just a minute or so).....I have a feeling I would totally dig that ride. Definitely need to return to the park sooner rather than later to check it out! Our 2-year-old daughter noticed it out the window as well as we passed by and said "Ooooo, ride!! Go ride it??" Yeah, she's my kid all right!

I like the look of their new County Fair section for this year. I seem to remember during our one visit years ago that the flat selection was fairly thin, but they seem to be bolstering that up now.

I can only speak for Six Flags ATL. Goliath looks horrid to be a front entrance coaster along with Georgia Scorcher that's right near the walkway the pedestrians have to walk to get to the gate. Scorcher is peeling very badly and Goliath so very faded smh. I'm not going to even discuss Superman in the back of the park it's just horrible,

With in Cedar Fair, to me Carowinds have always been the better park to keep up with their rides looking there best and vibrant. I mean Intimidator is 7yrs old and they train seats were replaced with brand new one last season while Diamondback and Kings Island is 8yrs and the seats and restraint handles are just freaking nasty. The head rest itself looks like its full of diseases in the black dirt filled area of the head rest. This just unacceptable.

Luckily Superman is in the process of being repainted (although it is sadly losing the yellow rails).

I agree Scorcher is a complete mess and at this point would come across as dangerously neglected to non-enthusiasts. I think Goliath looks fine though. Sure it is faded, but the shade is solid throughout and there is no chipping of paint, so it just looks like it is supposed to have that faded hue. It was gorgeous when it was new though.

Overall, I agree that Carowinds does a significantly better job though.

Then there are the coasters who fade and are famous for it, like Xcelerator. They repainted its supports only to keep the famous pink!

But yes, there are sadly others that are the abused step children of the parks. My question is: why do parks put off such an important thing for so long?!

Well to vouch for Intimidator and Xcelerator or any coaster at a park that deals with extreme UV rays and above 90 degree temps in the summers, red pinks blacks are highly prone to fading vs other colors in the direct sunlight. Intimidaor at Carowinds was supposed to be repainted this off season, however obviously that's not the case because Cobra had to be repainted for the new theme it will have in the new Coutny Fair section. They'll probably do it next off season, at least they replaced the seat cushions and restraint bars on the trains hell even Hurler got new cushions on its trains last season. They're rather comfy. Lol

Edited by pproteinc

Then there are the coasters who fade and are famous for it, like Xcelerator. They repainted its supports only to keep the famous pink!

But yes, there are sadly others that are the abused step children of the parks. My question is: why do parks put off such an important thing for so long?!

Because the paint is not important, and by important I mean vital to operation.

I'm pretty stoked that Cedar Fair is putting this much money into Carowinds. I was hopeful when they entered the picture, as I'd been going there since the beginning (yep, last century), and there's more to do, but what they have done to this point is amazing. County Fair is precisely what the place needed, and it looks like they are going to hit it out of the park.

P.S.

Afterburn crushes Intimidator.

100% yes. Nighthawk and Carolina Cobra should be must rides as well. Both are decent coasters

Thanks guys. Figuring this may be one of the only times I go to this park as I'm from Erie PA and don't make it south all that often.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Nighthawk and Firehawk at Kings Island are the same, correct? I know they're both Vekoma Flying Dutchman but didn't know if there's an element difference. (I rode Firehawk when it was at Geagua Lake as X-Flight way back in the day).

I appreciate all the thoughts.

Hey all, I'm hoping to make it to Carowinds this year (Fall/late summer), other than Fury which is an obvious must ride what would you Carowinds experts advise that I make sure I leave time for? I'm going to try to hit all the coasters obviously but have really only heard much about Fury and Intimidator.

You'll have time for everything. I really really like this park, but it really doesn't have much to offer, outside of its two and a half excellent offerings. Fury (Excellent), Afterburn (Excellent), Intimidator (half....). Their mine train is 'ok', but if you're not a glider fan, there's not much else you'll want to do. There's no log flume, train, or sky ride and most of the other coasters, aside from nighthawk, will be 5-10 minute waits at most.

Don't get me wrong, Fury is worth going out of the way for all on it's own and it's perfectly complimented by Afterburn. In fact, I enjoyed both so much that it motivated me to buy last minute plane tickets in the fall. My only suggestion is to go to Nighthawk at rope drop to beat the long lines due to slow loading. Other than that, this park is really well landscaped for a large corporate park and it provides some really scenic views of the roller coasters and park attractions. It does so with a mixture of old school feel and 'modern sports complex' style, neither of which fail to impress in their own way.

Damn. Now I want to go ride Fury...

Also, if you're old enough to drink, stop at Frugal MacDoogal liquor store on the way. It has an awesome selection of local beers to enjoy in your hotel room. Not the parking lot, as I found out that security doesn't take kindly to this (dunce hat). It's my favorite liquor store ever. Why? Because if you're standing at the front of the store you can clearly see Carowinds' reflection on the front glass. Look to your left and there's Fury. God, I hate myself for being this way.

Great evaluation of this all. I may just have to stop at Frugal MacDoogal's. It would be nice if they didn't mind you partaking in a beverage in the parking lot, but oh well.

You know I've seen a lot of POVs of Carrowinds rides but I guess I have to go see one for Afterburn now as there are plenty of suggestions to ride that.

Thank you.

Carowinds gave a hard hat construction tour today. Some of the things we found out today.

The Troika came from Japan and the rest of the rides came from Europe.

The Zephyr sits on the state line so you will be swinging in two states.

Each car of the train for The Flying Cobras will have it's own theming.

They are adding some menu items to Wings and Dockside Fries. Things like Fried Corn.

Construction is on schedule and is expected to be completed on time.

Electro Spin will be repainted when it is finished be assembled.

White Water Falls will not be returning for 2017 and it was not told or even hinted at what might be coming in the future for that area.

Here is a link of some pics I took today.

Carowinds County Fair Hard Hat Tour

Carowinds gave a hard hat construction tour today. Some of the things we found out today.

The Troika came from Japan and the rest of the rides came from Europe.

The Zephyr sits on the state line so you will be swinging in two states.

Each car of the train for The Flying Cobras will have it's own theming.

They are adding some menu items to Wings and Dockside Fries. Things like Fried Corn.

Construction is on schedule and is expected to be completed on time.

Electro Spin will be repainted when it is finished be assembled.

White Water Falls will not be returning for 2017 and it was not told or even hinted at what might be coming in the future for that area.

Here is a link of some pics I took today.

Carowinds County Fair Hard Hat Tour

I'm very excited to visit here in a few months bc this my CF home park and the new addition is coming along great!

I think I'm way to excited about the top scan ride and the fact that the music express will be partially enclosed with the tunnel portion in the back half as they should be. The other sisters at Dorney and CP are not so this one will stand out and have an edge if you will in excitement. Fried CORN? bring on the fatty foods!!!!

Edited by pproteinc