TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Also, I just wanted to add that after years of keeping my old 40" 1080p TV, I finally took the plunge and picked up a black Friday 60" 4k Smart TV. The first thing I watched on it, you ask? Fury 325 POV on Youtube.

People freak out way too much about tornado warnings, but if the entire city of Charlotte is under a tornado warning and you want to be concerned about something, Hurler should be at the bottom of your list.

Your list of priorities should be something like...

1) Fury 325

2) The 800,000 people in harms way and the potential catastrophic damage and loss of life.

3) Afterburn

4) The wing place at the Epicentre

etc.

Those are the correct priorities.

But yeah, living in Tornado Alley, where we have weekly tornado warnings all summer, sometimes even multiple times a week, these things aren't nearly as scary as people seem to think. Most of the time they don't actually touch down, and when they do, the area of effect is very small. A tornado can destroy one building while missing the adjacent one entirely. Once every few years there will be one a mile wide, like the one that leveled half of Joplin a few years ago (that's a city of about 100,000 on the border of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Kansas). But those are very rare indeed.

I had a great time at Carowinds this year during my first ever visit. Check out my video blog! Any comments about it would be appreciated.

Great video! It's really funny to me though how Cedar Point employees can't say anything bad about anything at a Cedar Fair park though. It's funny watching you try to restrain yourself when giving a review of the kiddy hang and bang.

Great video! It's really funny to me though how Cedar Point employees can't say anything bad about anything at a Cedar Fair park though. It's funny watching you try to restrain yourself when giving a review of the kiddy hang and bang.

The only thing I don't do in regards to being a CP employee is film on rides, and that's mainly because I think filming on rides is silly (I wouldn't want to lose my camera because it was expensive and a safety hazard). If I truly don't like a particular ride, I would say so. I wasn't trying to "restrain" myself when I briefly talked about their kiddy coaster. Unlike hardcore coaster enthusiasts, I don't like given a detailed explanation of every single coaster/attraction I ride. In general I try to stay positive about every aspect in life so even though I did find the coaster rough, I just didn't feel like explaining precisely how rough it was, what exact spots, etc.

That's cool, I'm just messing with you. I have noticed though that Cedar Point employees refuse to say anything even slightly negative about a Cedar Fair park ever and it's kind of funny to watch. As I said though, really cool video and I hope you do more of them. I'm really starting to enjoy vlogs all of a sudden. As usual I usually get into new trends about a decade after the rest of the world does.

I had a great time at Carowinds this year during my first ever visit. Check out my video blog! Any comments about it would be appreciated.

First, I want to say that I've enjoyed every one of your video blogs so far. I also envy you that you have a group of your friends who are interested enough in the parks to travel with you. Are they buddies from work or outside of work?

I like watching your videos and you have some good shots, but I wish to offer a suggestion. I would either add a little to the ride recaps or pretty much get rid of them. "It was good" after every ride doesn't really explain much and I know you know more about this hobby in order to elaborate a bit.

"Fury was great, because it maintained its speed throughout the entire ride, it had quick transitions, and plenty of airtime. It was better or worse than ride X."

"Afterburn was great, because it was an old school B&M with plenty of forces. The Batwing under the bride was my favorite part, because of the strong positive G's."

I don't mean to be offensive at all and even if you changed nothing, I'd probably still watch your videos as you post them, because they're entertaining. I just figured I'd offer a suggestion to cater to us coaster geeks who have possibly never experienced some of the rides you're recorded. Since you and your buddies have been to so many parks, I'm more interested in your opinion of what makes the rides "good" or standout good or bad features of the rides. I don't think you have to elaborate too much, since you said you don't want to get too detailed. It can be just as quick as "It was fun," just maybe three to five seconds of a quick description. Or, maybe you're like me. Maybe you don't want to try too hard to figure out why you like a particular ride, and instead you'd rather just appreciate that you did in fact enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the video. I enjoy anything Fury 325 related.

^This is very good advice.

The personal touch in trip reports, blogs, etc.. is what sets them apart. I like to get a feeling of who is talking and what their opinions are of rides I have ridden or rides I might get to ride

That is some good advice. I feel like I am different than your usual "person who really enjoys riding roller coasters (and dark rides too)." I don't have anything like a top 10 list nor do I keep track of my coaster count. All I know is that I've ridden a lot of coasters and I have a lot of favorites. Personally, I don't like comparing things in general (this goes for much more than just coasters). I find many coasters to be very fun and I try to find the positives of each one, even if most people think a certain coaster is not fun. In my Carowinds vlog, for example, we rode Hurler. From what I've heard, many people think it's rough and don't like it. In my opinion, it wasn't like the "best experience I've ever had on any coaster" or anything but it certainly wasn't bad by any means. I did enjoy it.

When I say that I don't like comparing coasters, what I mean is that I know of people that will nitpick minor details. For example, the minor differences of Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure and Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. I don't feel the need to do that. Yes, they are both B&M hyper coasters but I think both coasters are fantastic in their own way. I don't find it necessary to critique them and have a battle to figure out which one is "better." That's also why I don't like making lists of my top favorites. It's just another way for people to argue with your list.

So what I'm trying to say is that when I do my video blogs, I try not to go into too much detail. I will admit that after I edited together my Carowinds video blog, I did realize that I said something along the lines of "it was good, not bad at all" after several different rides and I did annoy me but unfortunately there was nothing I could do at that point. As usual though, I am always open to suggestions on how to make my videos more enjoyable so I do appreciate constructive criticism. I'm happy that there are viewers who enjoy my vlogs because I really enjoy making them.

In my Carowinds vlog, for example, we rode Hurler. From what I've heard, many people think it's rough and don't like it. In my opinion, it wasn't like the "best experience I've ever had on any coaster" or anything but it certainly wasn't bad by any means. I did enjoy it.

For the record I totally agree with you on Hurler at Carowinds. There's nothing wrong with it at all and it's actually a pretty fun little coaster. There are very few coasters I ride and don't enjoy. People are often way too critical.

There are very few coasters I ride and don't enjoy. People are often way too critical.

I feel like the majority of people really disliked Mean Streak. Personally, I never found that coaster to be rough. I didn't think it had a very interesting layout but it was never rough in my opinion and quite fun still. I guess my opinions don't really matter at this point.