TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Anyone else here think Vortex might be converted into a floorless coaster in 2018 if Patriot does well?

I'm a little bummed about that, because I feel Vortex here is a significant step up from its California cousin. But yeah, I think it's probably on the table.

I just don't know how well exactly converting these tiny stand ups will work. I mean, at least floorless Carowinds Vortex wouldn't have a far better and larger floorless just a short drive away to compete with, but with both these coasters, taking away the standing is to take away the one interesting thing about the ride. Both are pretty underwhelming, average little rides. Making them sit down--floorless or not--essentially removes a lot of the uniqueness in the first place.

That's where Carowinds Vortex has an advantage. It DOESN'T suck so much at being a standup, which is about the best you can hope for with standups. But it would be a pretty forgettable sitdown coaster. I'd like Carowinds to just save their money.

Crap. We just checked the weather and Friday and Saturday night switched from a reasonable low of mid 50's to a 40 degree low. Looks like it's going to be a thermal base layer filled weekend. My main concern is Fury. Is this thing still going to haul as$? I want Emily to experience the WTF just happened moment of Fury, like I did.

Crap. We just checked the weather and Friday and Saturday night switched from a reasonable low of mid 50's to a 40 degree low. Looks like it's going to be a thermal base layer filled weekend. My main concern is Fury. Is this thing still going to haul as$? I want Emily to experience the WTF just happened moment of Fury, like I did.

We rode Fury on it's opening day last year when we actually drove through flurries on I-77 and for the first 2 hours of the day it was closed because it wasn't quite 40 degrees yet (it was 39... it was honestly ridiculous. The line was 3 hours long, every radio station in Charlotte was there and the Arrows, Vekomas and B&M standup were all running and they were freaking out over one or two degrees for 2 hours, Meanwhile Great Adventure happily dispatches empty trains on Nitro when it's 29 degrees with gale force winds but whatever). Anyway when it finally opened we were on one of the first few trains because we had Fastlane and it hauled complete a**. Fury is completely incapable of running at a slow or even normal speed. It hauls ass all day every day. Afterburn is the same way.

Now Intimidator... grab some beers and watch that piece of crap crawl ass through the entire ride. And don't worry, every last trim still kicks on. Every... single... one.

I went in late September on a cooler day and on our runs it was a little slower, but likely just to me since I've ridden it countless times. I think the cause was not the temperature, but the half-full trains they were dispatching due to no crowd. I told my buddy it was running a little bit slow today. His response? "That was slow!?" Lol. I think you'll be fine. Like Bill, I've ridden it in the lower 50's, in the 90's, in the rain, morning, night... It takes names any day of the year.

Spent all night at the park last night. With the lack of well rounded attractions, I shouldn't love this place, but for some reason I do. Fury is still amazing in fifty degree weather. Even Emily can tell how special this coaster is. I've never ridden anything that takes me by surprise every time I ride it, resulting in the same brainless brake run exchanges about how good the coaster is, after every ride.

Nursing a minor hangover now and getting ready to hit the park again. We'll be there for several hours today and then back at night. Cheers.

Carowinds is def. on my list of places to visit. Visited Cedar Point for the first time in May and Kings Island two weeks ago for Haunt and both are awesome parks, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed with Carowinds. The lineup of Fury, Afterburn and Intimidator sounds solid.

Here is the timeline for the 2017 construction also the wewbcams are up and going. For those who were asking is the family water slide complex that most thought wasn't moving in fact is being removed. they have not said whether or not it will be moved to another part of Carolina Harbor or gone for good.

1910237952_2016-10-2514_16_50-2017ConstructionatCarowinds.thumb.png.25a3d8fd7910a46a087c23dd414b176e.png

https://www.carowinds.com/blog-article/online-fun/2017-Construction-Begins

No it's still in operation for Scarowinds. Not to say they wouldn't because Mantis was being repainted during the operating season but that's a much bigger coaster than a boomerang which shouldn't take long to paint off season.

I also heard from an employee that Intimadator should be getting repainted and Screamweaver should be getting a light package. Take it with a grain of salt. We'll have to wait and see.

Well I know for sure that all the new rides coming next season have light packages which I'm stoked about. I always felt Carowinds was dark at night and the rides outside of Windseeker and Fury were just dark. Glad to see some aesthetics added to rides. Now if we can get a fog machine on the top scan too lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. If youre familiar with this area of the park, you will see that the family waterslide complex has be removed to make way for the top scan to be called Electro-Spin and the wave swinger to be called Zephr. The park have stated on their social media that the slides will not be relocated in the water park due to it's age and other variables. It can't really be seen however the concrete pad for Rock N Roller the music Express to the far right is also underway. Lastly in clear view we see Cobra's paint job is underway as well.

image.thumb.png.167579c42f72062694c4dd928d1327d1.png

• 2 weeks later...

^Well, there's no train in any of the concept art on the Carowinds website, so my guess is that there will be no train at all.

In all seriousness, I believe that it already has the newer style Vekoma train. If anything, a repaint to go along with the usual offseason maintenance.

The train is indeed the newest style of train for this type coaster. According to the concept that was on their Airtime Blog sometime back it did show the train cars to be painted different colors to emphasize the "S" in The Flying Cobra(S) name (each car is a cobra). Hopefully they'll stick to the red checked paint at the top of the supports as well.

FlyingCobras.png

Quick update via carowinds twitter page. Cobra is almost done. The station is now being painted and as you can see the demolition to create the concrete pad for the Troika, Do-Si-Do, is underway as well.

CxzT-kGWIAEv1y4.jpg:large

Looks real nice!