TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

We'll be there not this weekend but the next. Thanks for the tips and that scare zone map is very handy! Looks like I'll have to go thru zones 4 and 5 as we only want to ride Fury, the flyers, and maybe I232 a couple times. I absolutely hate scary stuff but will ignore the actors and pretend like I'm totally cool with them. Fake it till ya make it and all that.

As far as Scare Zone 4, (Scary Tales). If it is set up like last year, you can just can walk around it (beside it) and never have to go through it. But be aware that there are actors that walk around the park that are not part of any Scare Zone.

mjk - Do you know is Planet Snoopy (Flyers) open during the day at least? Whoever here is going to the park this weekend have fun!

They have a fall festival during the day for the kiddos with trick-or-treating, a petting zoo, pumpkin patch, etc on Saturdays and Sundays from September 17 - October 30.

Planet Snoopy is open all day with the festival.

This may have been asked already so sorry if it was. Myself and a few others are going on the 30th and 1st. On that Saturday, does the park shutdown between 530pm-7pm? Thanks for the help! I've only been to this park once and it was for 4 hours just to ride Fury as we were rolling by; so I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the park!

I'm seeing that in the past, lines on Sundays during Scarowinds are pretty minimal. Is that still the case?

I'll be in town on October 30th and plan to stop by the park. I'll have my young kids with me so no Scarowinds but I'm hoping that my wife and I can each get on Fury and maybe I305 without waiting around forever. Also, are there any single rider lines and do they move pretty quickly?

Thanks for helping a longtime lurker.

I'm seeing that in the past, lines on Sundays during Scarowinds are pretty minimal. Is that still the case? I'll be in town on October 30th and plan to stop by the park. I'll have my young kids with me so no Scarowinds but I'm hoping that my wife and I can each get on Fury and maybe I305 without waiting around forever. Also, are there any single rider lines and do they move pretty quickly?

There were no single rider lines when I was there in July but I'm going this weekend so will report back if things have changed. Even if Fury's queue looks filled they haul trains out like crazy. It's worth the wait in any case! Also, I think you mean I-232 because I305 is at Kings Dominion in Virginia

There were no single rider lines when I was there in July but I'm going this weekend so will report back if things have changed. Even if Fury's queue looks filled they haul trains out like crazy. It's worth the wait in any case! Also, I think you mean I-232 because I305 is at Kings Dominion in Virginia

Thanks. And, yeah, whatever Intimidator is down there is what I was after

Haha no problem, I'll let you know next week about the SRL. I-232 is OK. It reminds me of a boring version of Nitro or Apollo's Chariot if you've ridden either of those. Relaxing but not a whole lot going on. I don't care for the staggered seating arrangement but it doesn't take away from the ride itself. A lot of the GP still flock to it as Fury325 either scares them or is too fast for their tastes. I talked to quite a few people while in line for both rides and tried to explain that Fury is a sweet little kitten compared to I305 or Skyrush, which are significantly more aggressive yet still awesome in their own ways.

This may have been asked already so sorry if it was. Myself and a few others are going on the 30th and 1st. On that Saturday, does the park shutdown between 530pm-7pm? Thanks for the help! I've only been to this park once and it was for 4 hours just to ride Fury as we were rolling by; so I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the park!

Yes, they are 2 separate ticketed events. If you get a ticket for the daytime you'll have to leave at 5:30 and need to buy another ticket for Scarowinds and go back at 7:00.

I'm seeing that in the past, lines on Sundays during Scarowinds are pretty minimal. Is that still the case?

I'll be in town on October 30th and plan to stop by the park. I'll have my young kids with me so no Scarowinds but I'm hoping that my wife and I can each get on Fury and maybe I305 without waiting around forever. Also, are there any single rider lines and do they move pretty quickly?

Thanks for helping a longtime lurker.

I was just there this past weekend and the crowds were very light on Sunday. There aren't any single rider lines but TBpony is correct in their operations on Fury and I232 are fantastic. I did see them pull singles and doubles from the line to fill rows on Fury. If there isn't much of a line and you want a particular row, just ask. They were pretty good about it.

Yes, they are 2 separate ticketed events. If you get a ticket for the daytime you'll have to leave at 5:30 and need to buy another ticket for Scarowinds and go back at 7:00.

Thank you! Luckily my buddies and I have platinum passes (even though we're from Texas and there's not a Cedar Fair park for 2 states) I wanted to know so we could plan food between 530-7 to refuel for the night shift!

Thank you! Luckily my buddies and I have platinum passes (even though we're from Texas and there's not a Cedar Fair park for 2 states) I wanted to know so we could plan food between 530-7 to refuel for the night shift!

That's a good plan. There's plenty of places to eat in the area but close by is a couple fast food places and a Cracker Barrel across the street from the entrance.

Just a quick TR on my Scarowinds trip with my sister this past weekend.

Fright lane with the skeleton key is absolutely worth it if you can fit it in your budget. Luckily I had hotel points and we were able to stay right across the street from Carowinds for free and that helped pay for fright lane.

We were able to walk right into all of the mazes by walking up the exits. The staff member would hole-punch that particular maze and then we were in! The skeleton key is actually a metal key attached to the lanyard with the fright lane pass-card. Pretty cool little souvenir.

Personally, I thought the mazes were ok. The bonus rooms were pretty cool though. Scary Tales and The Bloodyard were my favorites. The one in the Playground was just weird.

When we first arrived, we went to get our fright lane passes processed and went straight to Fury 325. It was a fantastic ride and pulled way more G’s than I thought it would. The side floater on the horseshoe turn was really cool. We enjoyed this ride a lot. Operations were great! The que was down to the first switch back and we waited about 20 mins.

We then went to a couple mazes and then over to I232. The line was down to the bottom of the station steps and was about a 10 minute wait.

After that, we just went around and did the rest of the mazes, the bonus rooms and checked out the scare zones. If anyone has questions about the mazes or bonus rooms, send me a PM. I don’t want to put any spoilers out there for people who haven’t been but I will say I thought Dark Harvest was the best maze and Defex was the worst maze. (Didn’t make sense and boring)

Just my opinion and you know what opinions are like.

It was about closing time so, we went back over to I232 because sis wanted a night ride. The line was pretty long and I really didn’t want to wait so, we went to the plinko board and won 2 Q-line passes and walked right on! For those that don’t know if you don’t have fast lane, they have plinko boards set up outside the ride ques and you pay $3.00 to get 2 pucks and try to win skip the line passes. There’s other stuff on the board as well. Like BOGO laser room, rip cord and sling shot.

On Sunday we went back at park opening and just rode all the coasters with no lines!

Ride count for Sunday in order from most to least liked;

Fury x12

Intimidator x10

Afterburn x2

Night Hawk x1

Carolina Cobra x1

Ricochet x2

Hurler x1

Drop Tower x1

Carolina Goldrusher x1

Plant vs Zombies x1

Vortex x1

Boo Blasters x1

Carolina Cyclone x1

Scrambler x1

Oh and I finally got to try the crab fries at Chickie’s and Pete’s. Yum!

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Now for a few random pictures.

20160917_192603.thumb.jpg.a0f5acd57d5ed21f72c23afcee844d2b.jpg

Nice keepsake

20160917_203207.thumb.jpg.8939cbac5370763a8c7d33e813aa543f.jpg

This guy stood up and talked

20160917_203239.thumb.jpg.3f3c6b0992dbd4b936367964141b775e.jpg

20160917_203300.thumb.jpg.bf9e06ef13fe1252d314ffeb3d11b079.jpg

20160917_221242.thumb.jpg.cf3d4a09e45a48d2baeade51945dd3b1.jpg

20160917_224049.thumb.jpg.b942d9242dc179e7d5ee7d9d6e88d47a.jpg

From the London Terror Scare zone

20160917_224104.thumb.jpg.8586bb8ae8797f70169cca8d9122d39f.jpg

20160917_225338.thumb.jpg.9397d89a48272576bcbde85ff7b32e2b.jpg

Those eyes

20160917_233047.thumb.jpg.9fd9f2dfd20c1750161d2edd8ce1343b.jpg

20160918_102736.thumb.jpg.75fb448fbfa677d51f3650cf3f4879f1.jpg

20160918_102757.thumb.jpg.3e4cdc3ba004cd5a3e06bf08d4c584bb.jpg

20160918_103155.thumb.jpg.48195865120b85187b9a9bceea175f7e.jpg

20160918_103243.thumb.jpg.c30335c65a9ba190155943abeedaa897.jpg

20160918_110141.thumb.jpg.2ff0ff5930d88b1a62ebbff02225431b.jpg

20160918_122538.thumb.jpg.2a30a85a1cd43b4b9a8dcdebc9a7c9d4.jpg

20160918_130920.thumb.jpg.55d1886a783e483c6be0025392bee36d.jpg

Who knew cheese and Old Bay would go together so well.

20160918_192940.thumb.jpg.b1ff227c97f528e4fe7fb730310e31a3.jpg

20160918_220827.thumb.jpg.ea04fc45e9d563c0ad2442f62a83e21a.jpg

On the way home

I can't believe all the rides you got in over the weekend! That's nuts. I hope we have the same luck this weekend. Some questions since you're very knowledgable and helpful

1. We'll be getting Platinum Passes for the first time since the math makes sense with our CF park visits over the next year. I've only been to Carowinds once. If we park in that lot by Fury and walk in there, where is the season pass processing center? How much time shall we bank on needing to get it processed? Six Flags passes take about 5 minutes, and 4 minutes of that is walking to the center itself haha.

2. Are there any negatives to getting our passes at Carowinds vs. one of the other CF parks? We're getting them at Carowinds one way or another but I've never had Platinum before and it's been many years since we had CF passes in general. Since Six Flags passes are valid at any SF park I want to make sure I understand everything for CF beforehand.

3. If we have passes can we still buy the online day-of dining pass? We did that a few months ago and split multiple meals during the day every 90 minutes or whatever it was. It was a huge savings. The food there was excellent compared to KD's offerings and the cranked AC place by I232 was awesome. Does the day-of dining pass expire once Scarowinds begins in the evening? We'll only need it Saturday as we'll just pop in for a couple hours once we arrive in Charlotte Friday night.

Edited by TBpony414

I can't believe all the rides you got in over the weekend! That's nuts. I hope we have the same luck this weekend. Some questions since you're very knowledgable and helpful

1. We'll be getting Platinum Passes for the first time since the math makes sense with our CF park visits over the next year. I've only been to Carowinds once. If we park in that lot by Fury and walk in there, where is the season pass processing center? How much time shall we bank on needing to get it processed? Six Flags passes take about 5 minutes, and 4 minutes of that is walking to the center itself haha.

2. Are there any negatives to getting our PPasses at Carowinds vs. one of the other CF parks? We're getting them at Carowinds one way or another but I've never had Platinum before and it's been many years since we had CF passes. Since Six Flags passes are valid at any SF park I want to make sure I understand everything for CF.

3. If we have passes can we still buy the online day-only dining pass? We did that a few months ago and split multiple meals during the day every 90 minutes or whatever it was. It was a huge savings. Does the day-of dining pass reset once Scarowinds begins in the evening? We'll only need it Saturday as we'll pop in for a couple hours once we arrive in Charlotte Friday night.

1. In the entry plaza, pass the ticket sales that are on the left side and turn left immediately after them. There's a sidewalk that goes down the "alley" a ways and you go in the back of the processing building. You feel like you're going in an employee only area. When I went, I had already uploaded my picture and it took less than 5 minutes. If you go opening weekend, you'll be waiting a while, otherwise, no worries.

2. There are no negatives. A platinum pass is recognized universally as pretty much the exact same thing at any of the parks.

3. That I do not know. We have the season dining pass so I have no experience with this one. But considering it's a different entrance fee, I would guess your dining pass would not be eligible.

You're fast! I just edited my post slightly but you answered all my questions so no need to re-read. Thanks very much for the info. I'll ask them about the dining pass when we get there. Even if we got one daytime dining and purchased one evening dining it would still be cheaper than eating at the park normally or going to a restaurant.

Is Boo Blasters still busted? I really like that ride at KD and was shocked at what poor condition it was in at Carowinds. None of the guns worked, half the targets weren't on, lighting wasn't synched... it was sad.

The one at KD is probably in better shape than this one here. Some of the guns don't work at all really, and some of them you can point the gun anywhere and it'll hit targets. Maybe half of the targets work, but I still love doing it (even if it isn't Scooby.) I like it better than Plants vs Zombies. That thing just gives you cramps in your trigger finger.

The one at KD is in great shape and they ask you to test your guns before every lap. Plants vs. Zombies is an absolute waste of time and money. It doesn't even really make sense to me. Here, quickly shoot some stuff and then randomly you get scored but it's sort of vague. Too bad because I think it could be really fun with some tweaking. And by that I mean putting Days of Thunder back in LOL. Loved the Paramount days for the cool things they had in, Scooby Doo included!

^I didn't like it at all, either. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but it took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on. The aiming on the cartoonish guns was terrible and with so many people shooting, I spent most of my time chasing my small number on the screen.

I guess I got lucky at boo blasters. I scored a 945. But, I noticed a lot of targets weren't lit. It took me a minute to figure out plants vs zombies and once I started shooting all the golden gnomes my points were racking up and I ended up in 2nd place.