TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

while not the best beer I've ever had, not too bad at all.

Kind of how I feel about it, with a little more love. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but it's really solid. I love to drink it when we're east enough to be in their market, so at this point it's synonymous with vacations and trips. This makes me appreciate it even more. Also, it's respectable from a bottle or can, but it's delicious on tap!

I've only had in it in glass bottles, but yeah, everything's better on tap.

Now that we live in GA, Yuengling Black & Tans have become my staple go to. Relatively cheap and adequately delicious. Also loved your TR, Fury is such a breath of fresh air. Easily one of the most well-rounded and impressive rides out there.

I won't go into a full trip report because Coasterbill and Prozach have already voiced most of what I would have said very nicely in the last few pages. I did have the pleasure of visiting Carowinds for the second time last Tuesday (6/14) however and had a fantastic day at the park. The Fury crew was absolutely killing it the day that I visited. They were consistently getting out trains by about the time the train in front was cresting the hill. They were some of the best ops I've ever seen in my life.

In addition to that, the park was pretty dead so I got to ride Fury 7 times in the span of an hour or so without even trying to push it. Though I got to ride Fury for the first time last May, what really struck me about these more recents ride is just how easy it is to marathon this thing. I had to move on for various reasons after my hour, but I could have easily gone back for more. As much as I love I305, for me personally, Fury strikes the perfect balance between being intense and being reridable. B&M really has created something special here and I do hope they continue on this path. Just wanted to share my Fury love.

So after riding Millennium Force for the first time in years and a week after Fury 325, I can say that Fury 325 easily bests Millennium Force for me. I did not see that coming.

Perhaps, I need to take a break.

With all seriousness, maybe you do. I just got back from CP and found myself relatively bored and somewhat unentertained. After talking it over, Emily and I decided to can our Kentucky Kingdom trip we were talking about taking in July and just spend those days relaxing. I don't want to burn myself out before we go to Busch Gardens Africa in August. Sometimes it's best to step away for a brief period.

I can't wait to ride Fury with all the great reviews.

Does Carowinds offer Early entry like some of the other cedar fair parks or no.

Seems like all the people talk about Going that lines have been short. is that just since its not prime summer yet?

I can't wait to ride Fury with all the great reviews.

Does Carowinds offer Early entry like some of the other cedar fair parks or no.

Seems like all the people talk about Going that lines have been short. is that just since its not prime summer yet?

It's a capacity Monster. I couldn't imagine the crowds that would be needed in order to have a wait in excess of thirty minutes. That would probably be be Holiday weekend or Haunt event level.

Barring an unlikely day with a million school groups, Carowinds rarely has long lines except on Saturdays. As prozach said, Fury chews through it's lines. Intimidator does too on busy days. On slow days Intimidator runs 2 trains and they staff 1 seat checker per side (Six Flags style) but on weekends they run 3 with 2 per side. Fury almost always runs at maximum efficiency.

Hate to pile on here but I will!

Went to Carrowinds for the first time last Friday. We were 4 hours behind schedule last week due to the storms that hit VA and we had trouble getting out of town due to all the damages.

Anyway we finally got there around 3:30ish I believe and I hit Fury first and let me say it deserves all the accolades it gets. I got 2 rides in about 15 mins and then moved on to the rest of the park. Finished up my night with 2 more rides in the front row and I must admit this is the one coaster I actually prefer the front on. Normally I am back row rider. While it did not overtake MF as my #1 (it probably should have) I would take this ride over ANY ride (or more than 1 of the rides) in my home parks (KD & BGW) right now. Loved EVERYTHING about it except the brakes on that one hill in the second half of the ride. Yeah I know if they weren't on the train would get launch off the track - I get it. Simply a fantastic ride from top to bottom and I hope B&M makes more like it because "clones" of this one would be a good thing IMHO. I should mention I am not an I305 fan. I think its a good ride but nowhere near MF or Fury level - not even close.

Overall the park was fantastic. Its a smaller park which makes it much easier to walk and do everything. The park was clean, everything running well, staff was great. I just can't complain about anything. There was one minor incident on the Carolina Cyclone (I think is the name) where a lady got into a huge argument with the OPs. She had a purse strapped across her should (diagonally) and insisted on riding with it. She showed it was clipped to her belt loop but they said no repeatedly. This went on for about 10 mins and they kept telling her no - lose the purse or get off the ride. The lady eventually gave in and took the purse off and gave it to her husband. She was being kind of an a$$.

If anyone has any doubts about going to CW don't. Get in the car and head down there you will have a good time.

I'm not sure how I missed it but great photos prozach. I never knew Yuengling wasn't popular nationwide. Of course we travel a ton, but I guess I never took notice of the fact that people didn't carry it when you left the east coast. We always have our fridge stocked with some, it's pretty good and very inexpensive. I normally stay away from cheap beers because they're cheap for a reason (and I always figured if I came home to a fridge stocked with Natural Light or Icehouse I'd have officially hot rock bottom and need to reevaluate my life choices) but Yuengling was always an exception to that rule.

When we rode Intimidator last week it was running better than I'd ever seen it run. Early in the season when it's cooler it absolutely crawls but it made me eat my words a little last week. Fury is obviously in a league of it's own.

Oh and I didn't know what to do in Plants vs. Zombies either. I pretty much exclusively shot at the gnome things (is that what I was supposed to do? Someone who knows about this app please let me know, lol). It was fun though.

^I've been wondering that myself.

Carowinds is up there with SFGAdv on my bucket list right now just because of Fury, by the way. I love the sensation of speed and apparently Fury delivers it better than Millennium Force, plus it has strong airtime. That's pretty much an automatic #1 coaster, because all MF is missing in my opinion is a section of the ride dedicated to ejector air. The current hills deliver good airtime in the front and back seats but only the last one really delivers in the middle. From just a technical/POV standpoint, Fury could easily become my #1 coaster. Its layout is almost like an RMC giga coaster with the banking, speed, drop, etc.

Fury also has 3 moments of scary ejector air. Like; thankful for the trim brake type ejector air. I doubt a more perfect coaster will be built in the next 10 years

A B&M with that kind of airtime is unheard of you're the first person I've heard say Fury's airtime was that strong. I just can't wait to ride it for myself b/c it does indeed look pretty close to perfection far as another one not being built in the next 10 years I'm certainly hoping SFMM debunks that theory.

I don't see any Six Flags park building a coaster ground up with any sort of respectable length, especially not anywhere near Fury's length in the near future. For me at least a ride has to be fairly long in duration (not specifically feet of track) to be in upper echelon of rides except for maybe some of the shorter RMC's that looks ridiculous (though those are mostly I-box that are shorter... Except Goliath which kinda proves my point).

I'm curious how Fury and Liaviathon compare for those who have ridden both? We'd really like to make a trip up to Canada's Wonderland within the next couple years.

They don't. Fury blows Leviathan to hell. Leviathan is still a very fun coaster (and Behemoth is too) but it's the weakest of the North American gigas. I highly recommend the trip though, especially if you add in Niagara Falls or some of the attractions in Toronto.

I don't see any Six Flags park building a coaster ground up with any sort of respectable length, especially not anywhere near Fury's length in the near future. For me at least a ride has to be fairly long in duration (not specifically feet of track) to be in upper echelon of rides except for maybe some of the shorter RMC's that looks ridiculous (though those are mostly I-box that are shorter... Except Goliath which kinda proves my point).

Six Flags definitely has been more conservative with their money since the recession, and I think if you look at the past few years, Cedar Fair is much more likely to build the next #1. It's not impossible that Six Flags comes out with an awesome RMC somewhere in the chain, though.

I went to the park tonight and go to watch the new show Cirque Imagine. I have to say it is a really impressive show and I wonder how the show got to be at a Cedar Fair park. It's definitely in the realm of a Dollywood or Disney caliber show. Lots of acrobatics and stunts I have not seen before, and it was very impressive some of the stunts they pulled off in the small stage area they had. A solid 9/10 as far as shows go for me.

On another note, line jumping is rampant at parks everywhere. It happened to me twice tonight. Anytime it happens to me I call the people out on it. They are usually very nice and let me in front of them. I, unfortunately, have a tendency to get mad at them, and call them out in a very rude manner. So much so, the grandmother of the family that line jumped me got out of her wheelchair and gave me a very "stern talking to." So my question is, how should I/how do you deal with line jumpers politely? Or should I just ignore them?

On another note, line jumping is rampant at parks everywhere. It happened to me twice tonight. Anytime it happens to me I call the people out on it. They are usually very nice and let me in front of them. I, unfortunately, have a tendency to get mad at them, and call them out in a very rude manner. So much so, the grandmother of the family that line jumped me got out of her wheelchair and gave me a very "stern talking to." So my question is, how should I/how do you deal with line jumpers politely? Or should I just ignore them?

I'm the same way. I'm sure there is a much better way for handling it, but it just pisses me off. So, let me get this straight. Her grandson/granddaughter jumped in line. Instead of scolding her grandchild, she scolded you? smh