TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Random question, and this may not be the place for it. A friend and I are headed to Crosswinds today and was wondering if anyone had a season pass and was not going to use their buddy pass/passes for today May, 8th. Thanks.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article75276817.html

Thought i would post this article here

This is why you should listen to the ride operators. I dont feel sorry for the guest, but please for anyone visiting ANY theme park, please remember, if the state law or the ride operator says NO PHONES, or you'll have to wait till the end of the night to get it, please listen to them.

Anyone know what Carowinds' rain policy is? The long-term forecast is calling for a chance of showers on the days I'll be there. I know forecasts aren't reliable this far out, but just in case, will they keep the coasters open in the rain as long as there's no lightning?

I just wanted to chime in...Fury is so good, and so much better than anything else in the park that it really makes all the other coasters giant letdowns. It is almost a flawless ride.

I made the mistake of jumping on Intimidator AFTER Fury, and I think I could have filed my taxes on that snoozefest.

Edited by DefeatistNation

Anyone know what Carowinds' rain policy is? The long-term forecast is calling for a chance of showers on the days I'll be there. I know forecasts aren't reliable this far out, but just in case, will they keep the coasters open in the rain as long as there's no lightning?

They pretty much don't care except on Ricochet. We rode fury in a god damn monsoon.

I just wanted to chime in...Fury is so good, and so much better than anything else in the park that it really makes all the other coasters giant letdowns. It is almost a flawless ride.

I made the mistake of jumping on Intimidator AFTER Fury, and I think I could have filed my taxes on that snoozefest.

This is a correct statement. I would be perfectly happy going to this park and riding Fury all day because it is just that good.

I'm at the point in my coaster career as well that I'm starting to revisit parks for new credits, and honestly, I'm perfectly okay with skipping mediocre credits that I already have. In which case any repeat visit to Carowinds will involve perhaps a cursory visit to Afterburn and Intimidator only as much as I need a break from Fury rerides. Similar to how a repeat visit to Kings Island will involve Diamondback, Banshee, the Beast, and probably that's it unless I just need a change of pace or other lines are super short.

That's a bummer to hear. I'm visiting Kings Island for the first time Friday and was hoping the other coasters besides those 3 would be worth the drive.

Going to a new amusement park is always worth it, and Kings Island actually has a number of enjoyable coasters other than those three! You'll have a really good time, I'm sure!

*Edited, because I really need to pay more attention when posting here, and not try to do three things at once while attempting to provide helpful information!

Edited by DILinator

That's a bummer to hear. I'm visiting Kings Island for the first time Friday and was hoping the other coasters besides those 3 would be worth the drive.

They are. The Bat is outstanding, Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster are excellent family rides and personally I love both Firehawk and Flight of Fear. Racer is a fun little ride too.

Invertigo and Vortex are the only bad rides in the bunch, Kings Island has a very solid coaster lineup. They also have Delerium and Drop Tower which are both great and a fun flume.

Personally I think the Bat is so good that it's right up there with Beast and Banshee.

During our trips these are really the only three coasters we ride, as we also usually only hit our favorites on repeat trips. However, all three of them are great and offer three different experiences. They are all also exceptional night rides. We love KI.

They are. The Bat is outstanding, Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster are excellent family rides and personally I love both Firehawk and Flight of Fear. Racer is a fun little ride too.

Invertigo and Vortex are the only bad rides in the bunch, Kings Island has a very solid coaster lineup. They also have Delerium and Drop Tower which are both great and a fun flume.

Personally I think the Bat is so good that it's right up there with Beast and Banshee.

I disagree with Adventure Express being "excellent". That coaster is crap. I also disagree with Invertigo being a "bad ride". I actually enjoy that ride, when it's running. Kings Island is worth the drive. I make it a point to go to this park every year and I live 6 hours away. Beast is amazing. Diamondback and Banshee are too. I would say The Bat is probably the best suspended coaster I've ridden...A lot better than Iron Dragon at CP. Vortex looks nice, but skip it. Not worth the pain. But the other coasters are worth a ride or two.

Just going to jump in here again and give Vortex some love. One of the best multi loopers I've been on honestly. Great ride. Everyone should ride it at least once to see how they feel about it.

I've rode it about five times and every time I come off asking myself, "Why the hell did I ride that again?" It injured my wife. It's more painful than Ninja at SFOG...and since this is a Carowinds thread, Carolina Cylcone and Carowind's own Vortex is a better ride than KI's Vortex. Just my opinion here, but Vortex is the worst multi looper I've rode. But yeah, I agree...Everyone should ride it at least once to see how much pain they're in after they get off the ride.

Just going to jump in here again and give Vortex some love. One of the best multi loopers I've been on honestly. Great ride. Everyone should ride it at least once to see how they feel about it.

I've rode it about five times and every time I come off asking myself, "Why the hell did I ride that again?" It injured my wife. It's more painful than Ninja at SFOG...and since this is a Carowinds thread, Carolina Cylcone and Carowind's own Vortex is a better ride than KI's Vortex. Just my opinion here, but Vortex is the worst multi looper I've rode. But yeah, I agree...Everyone should ride it at least once to see how much pain they're in after they get off the ride.

I guess I am just lucky that it doesn't hurt me or my boyfriend. We both absolutely love it, marathon it on our visits and wish we could have it in our backyard. It just seems like people here exaggerate how rough it is, but I wouldn't know what they are feeling. Anyways, I hope the park chooses to consider track work and new restraints rather than scrapping the ride. Same goes for Carolina Cyclone which we both really enjoy as well.

I never thought Kings Island's Vortex was all that bad. Then again, I was riding it defensively every time.

Anyway, we just checked into the hotel near Carowinds after an uneventful flight from Minneapolis. Can't wait for tomorrow!

image.thumb.jpeg.8d2f38ec04f2d9921eaceca3a7821d15.jpeg

Edited by VF15

^ Is that the Comfort Inn near the entrance?

Looks like the same place we stayed when we were there. We had a great view of the skyline from our room!

It is, I rember the same view having my morning smoke when i was there last year. Great veiws, and you have a Wendy's, gas station, and liquor store all in brief walking distance. I'll never stay anywhere else when visiting the park.