TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Gosh it was crowded today. Within an hour of opening nighthawk had a 2 hour line.

Does anybody know why rip roaring Rapids always has a line backed up to the entrance, even at 11:30 today that's where the line was. Does the ride have a low capacity or is it just that popular?

Carowinds is miserable on Saturday, just don't do it. It's like navigating the magic kingdom during a parade. I don't understand it.

Rapids has long lines because it's hot out. From what I can tell, it isn't a particularly great ride, there just isn't much else you can do to cool off. Never been on it, though.

The "dry side" could really use some of that splash. The Waterpark expansion does look great, though.

Gosh it was crowded today. Within an hour of opening nighthawk had a 2 hour line.

Does anybody know why rip roaring Rapids always has a line backed up to the entrance, even at 11:30 today that's where the line was. Does the ride have a low capacity or is it just that popular?

The ride's loading process is quite annoying as they can only load two rafts at a time and they dispatch them separately, then they move two rafts from the unloading up and have multiple boats usually sitting at the bottom of the unloading waiting to be unloaded and go up. There's a point on the ride where you can watch the raft go down a straightaway and there were multiple three minute intervals where there was no raft at all. Horribly inefficient.

I waited about 45 minutes for it on a Monday, but I really enjoyed the ride. It doesn't get you too soaked but the setting is nice and the rapids aren't bad at all.

Carowinds is miserable on Saturday, just don't do it. It's like navigating the magic kingdom during a parade. I don't understand it.

Rapids has long lines because it's hot out. From what I can tell, it isn't a particularly great ride, there just isn't much else you can do to cool off. Never been on it, though.

The "dry side" could really use some of that splash. The Waterpark expansion does look great, though.

This park needs a log flume so badly it's kind of ridiculous. I know it's rare to see a brand new log flume at a corporate park (for some reason) but they really need to invest in one.

Hey all,

This is my first post after years of lurking but I thought everyone would find this little bit of history to be very interesting...

This morning on Howard Stern's SiriusXM show Stephen Colbert revealed that his father and two of his brothers died in a plane crash in Charlotte because the pilots were busy discussing Carowinds as they flew over the park. More details can be found in the link below but it basically boils down to the cockpit recorder revealing that the pilot's were trying to locate the Carowinds Skytower in foggy conditions which led to them ignoring other instrumentation, ultimately killing 72 people. As a result of the incident a "Sterile Cockpit Rule" was created that bans any discussion within a certain distance / altitude of the landing site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_212

Hey all,

This is my first post after years of lurking but I thought everyone would find this little bit of history to be very interesting...

This morning on Howard Stern's SiriusXM show Stephen Colbert revealed that his father and two of his brothers died in a plane crash in Charlotte because the pilots were busy discussing Carowinds as they flew over the park. More details can be found in the link below but it basically boils down to the cockpit recorder revealing that the pilot's were trying to locate the Carowinds Skytower in foggy conditions which led to them ignoring other instrumentation, ultimately killing 72 people. As a result of the incident a "Sterile Cockpit Rule" was created that bans any discussion within a certain distance / altitude of the landing site.

Interesting read, thanks!

The incident makes me wonder if Carowinds will ever be able to build over the 340ft. height limit of the SkyTower. Has anyone ever heard anything mentioned by park officials on the topic of their height ceiling? I'd imagine the FAA would be particularly careful about approving anything taller if the SkyTower was already (partially at least) implicated in this crash.

Hey all,

Note the date on that, 9/11/1974. Crazy!

Regarding a log flume, would you guys be happy with a water coaster ride like Shoot the Rapids? Or is that a non-starter with you thanks to all of that ride's problems? (Obviously, it seems rather doubtful CF would go with Intamin again, but there are other manufacturers they could use.) If they were to remove Vortex, there would be a good space there for a water coaster that utilizes the water!

I think they need an actual log flume that gets people moderately wet but not soaked. Shoot the Rapids generally soaks people, and I doubt anyone would buy one of those after the accident (though we don't know what caused it or what was done to correct it).

I'm 100% with you guys! I've always liked Log Flumes, because I hate getting wet in my clothes, so rides like Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls (using the CP versions) were swimsuit only rides for me. I DID enjoy Shoot the Rapids the one time I rode it (and it didn't flip over on me, YAY!!! ), but that is more wet than I typically enjoy. I still wish rides like White Water Landing and Mill Race were at CP, but oh well... (I am glad Maverick is where WWL was, but I wouldn't mind a NEW Log Flume somewhere else - to be clear!)

My question (because I honestly don't know, and I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up) is whether anybody has installed a brand new Log Flume any time in the last 5-10 years? I know that technically they still can be manufactured, but is anybody (besides a start-up park) requesting them anymore?

Hi, I'm trying to plan a trip to Carowinds and I wasn't sure if I wanted to the last weekend of this month or the first weekend of SCarowinds. While looking up the prices for SCarowinds, I noticed that you have to pay for tickets to specifically attend SCarowinds, and they aren't valid during the day? Is this correct? I'm from VA (work Haunt at KD actually) and I don't get to go to Carowinds often so I was hoping to spend the day doing the rides and then do the mazes at night. Do you really have to pay separate admission for the Haunt part?

Hi, I'm trying to plan a trip to Carowinds and I wasn't sure if I wanted to the last weekend of this month or the first weekend of SCarowinds. While looking up the prices for SCarowinds, I noticed that you have to pay for tickets to specifically attend SCarowinds, and they aren't valid during the day? Is this correct? I'm from VA (work Haunt at KD actually) and I don't get to go to Carowinds often so I was hoping to spend the day doing the rides and then do the mazes at night. Do you really have to pay separate admission for the Haunt part?

Yes. Unlike KD, it was never included in admission and the park shuts down then re-opens. If you had a pass, you could get it for free!

Just finished a two day first visit. Great park you have here, though I don't think I'd have had that opinion before In(trim)idator and Fury. We collected all coaster credits, rode some flats and enjoyed our couple days. Both days were open 10-6 and crowds were light so everything was completely walk-on save Nighthawk which we rode first on day 2.

The good:

Fury!!! My god it's everything they say and more. The front row might easily be the greatest coaster experience I've ever had. Sheer speed. 10/10 etc.

Intimidatior, which despite the trim brake complaints we found ways to maximize the ride and enjoy the hell out of it. Both these B&M beauties were test seat to station the whole time, no exaggeration. Rerides were handed out like candy.

Afterburner is incredibly forceful. I didn't realize that the batwing went under a second park entrance until riding on the left side and seeing it from the lift hill. Cool, a park that has coasters rolling under both entrances!

Brisket sandwich at Harmony Hall. Worth the too much money the way they stack it.

The bad:

Philly cheesesteak at C&P's. Why do I get these? I hate them. Maybe it's about the crab fries and I try to make a meal out of it.

Hurler, Vortex. 'Nuff said.

Nighthawk... another Vekoma torture device. I know some folks like these but I'm not those folks.

No early entry for Plat Passholders after the 8th? Oh well, turns out we didn't need it at all. The park was ours until around 1 both days. So this is a bad turned good.

Oddly missing: a ferris wheel, a Tilt-a-Whirl, a train (except the Snoopy one), no monster or Troika style ride? Just an observation. I guess the park isn't really big enough to warrant a train. And the Peanuts Pirates kind of stands in for a Tilt-a-Whirl, that was a new ride to us. Had us cracking up hard.

In summary, we had a great time at a fun park, loved the attitude of both crew members and guests, and we can now proudly claim Fury onto our counts. In every single row, many times. Viva la front row!

Afterburner is incredibly forceful. I didn't realize that the batwing went under a second park entrance until riding on the left side and seeing it from the lift hill. Cool, a park that has coasters rolling under both entrances!

Where did you ride Afterburn? I rode towards the back row and it was more headbangy than forceful

Where did you ride Afterburn? I rode towards the back row and it was more headbangy than forceful

We rode it in the back every time. It was only headbangy once, before we learned to anticipate the elements. Every ride thereafter (8 total I think) was incredible. I put it right up there with Raptor or Great Bear as a favorite. Could be a tad longer, but that's nitpicking. Many coasters could stand to be longer. I found it very intense.