TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Every time I look at the Carowinds webcam I'm surprised by the lack of attendance.

Of course I haven't seen the attendance numbers... maybe they're up and I'm no expert on the park but I really assumed that this park would be busier than it has been with the addition of a ride like Fury. On Saturdays the place is a mob scene but every other day the place looks like Dorney.

Like I said... it looks like Dorney. lol

For the record I fully acknowledge that looking at webcams are not a good way to gauge attendance, but as we speak, Fury looks to be a walk on. Yes it's a very hot day, but even on days with milder weather that's a very common sight.

Fury is better the MF, and easily a top 5 ride. Its not my favorite, but it really would be in my top 5 somewhere

Riding Fury, it's impossible not to compare it to MF, the first giga and still the most widely known. MF is of course still a breathtaking ride, but riding Fury really demonstrated how much better it could have been had it included any force at all during the ride.

Fury is better the MF, and easily a top 5 ride. Its not my favorite, but it really would be in my top 5 somewhere

Riding Fury, it's impossible not to compare it to MF, the first giga and still the most widely known. MF is of course still a breathtaking ride, but riding Fury really demonstrated how much better it could have been had it included any force at all during the ride.

Ok I haven't been on Fury 325...but I have to say that Millennium Force does have Force. (I mean why wouldn't they call it Millennium Forceless otherwise).

But what I am saying is that when I recently rode Millennium Force, I experienced a grey out on the first turn and really felt the G's at the bottom of the drop and the overbanked turns. I have been on Intimidator 305...it feels quicker than Millennium Force because of the quick transitions and consistent low to ground movement...but I wouldn't say Millennium Force has no force during the ride.

^^Yeah but riding Millennium Force demonstrates how much better Fury could have been if it weren't in the middle of a field and interacted with nearby trees / tunnels and buildings a little to add to the sensation of speed. Both rides have their pros and cons and they're both amazing.

^ I grey out on the pullout of Millennium Forces drop every single time. It's no Maverick but Millennium Force pulls more G's than basically every B&M hyper not named Fury 325 so it's no slouch. I wouldn't say it's forceful but it's far from forceless.

^^Wicked Cyclone is amazing, Fury is just much better in my opinion.

I totally agree with you! haha Wicked Cyclone was amazing but it felt more cute to me than Fury did. Fury flat out amazed me as a whole and the ride crew was highly efficient. They were super motivated to get high numbers and the operator was acting like their coach hyping the crew up saying things like, "Alright, let's dispatch this train in 15 seconds" as the riders sat down or "let's dispatch 46 trains this hour" at the start of a new hour. More ride crews should be like them and I'm absolutely going to take this strategy to my job at Great Adventure.

^ I grey out on the pullout of Millennium Forces drop every single time. It's no Maverick but Millennium Force pulls more G's than basically every B&M hyper not named Fury 325 so it's no slouch. I wouldn't say it's forceful but it's far from forceless.

I'm going to agree with you here too. I've never gotten the whole bandwagon that Millennium is forceless. I've always felt pretty heavy G's at the bottom of the first drop into the first overbank. Plus I think Millennium offers some of the best floater airtime around. I know coaster enthusiasts rave about super intense rides with insane positive G's but in my opinion, that's not the most important thing to a good coaster and not every coaster should be super positive G heavy. Positive G's are tiring on my body to be honest.

Any action going on with rolling thunder yet?

The base of the drop is still collecting El Toro's poop as it farts over the RT hill, and the trains are in the infield of the twister section since its demolition in 2013.

...or did you mean Thunder Road?

Lol...yep, Thunder road.

Too many thunder rides.

Like I said... it looks like Dorney. lol

For the record I fully acknowledge that looking at webcams are not a good way to gauge attendance, but as we speak, Fury looks to be a walk on. Yes it's a very hot day, but even on days with milder weather that's a very common sight.

When I went to Dorney, I got front row parking and had no wait on a single ride.

I went to Carowinds a couple days later, and the parking lot was almost full. Granted, it was a Saturday, but we actually had to stop back for a couple hours on Sunday to hit up the rest of the rides we missed. It was busiest park during the trip (8 total, including CP and KI). I was shocked, because I always hear about how short the lines are.

I'm in Raleigh visiting family this weekend and I had some free time to hit up Carowinds early today for the first time this season and boy, did it not disappoint! Fury 325 is an amazing ride. Knocks Intimidator305 out as my favorite giga easily. Such an improvement over Leviathan and surprisingly forceful. An awesome installation by B&M.

Also, the park was DEAD today. I got 8 rides on Fury 325 during the morning ERT (thanks to the awesome re-ride policy Carowinds has) and never waited more than 10 minutes after the park opened. By 1 o'clock, it was pretty much a walk on thanks to the tremendous ride ops working (including the grouper who did a very good job filling every row and let me ask for the front a couple times). All in all, even though I left at 2 in the afternoon, I was able to get 15 rides Fury, 1 ride on Vortex (if only to compare to Apocalypse as the worst B&M. Apocalypse still wins.), 3 on Intimidator, and 5 on Afterburn (awesome invert and makes me wish more coasters had trenches). Very good day at the park and I hope I can make it back in October for Scarowinds.

^^Wicked Cyclone is amazing, Fury is just much better in my opinion.

I totally agree with you! haha Wicked Cyclone was amazing but it felt more cute to me than Fury did. Fury flat out amazed me as a whole and the ride crew was highly efficient. They were super motivated to get high numbers and the operator was acting like their coach hyping the crew up saying things like, "Alright, let's dispatch this train in 15 seconds" as the riders sat down or "let's dispatch 46 trains this hour" at the start of a new hour. More ride crews should be like them and I'm absolutely going to take this strategy to my job at Great Adventure.

I'm going to agree with you here too. I've never gotten the whole bandwagon that Millennium is forceless. I've always felt pretty heavy G's at the bottom of the first drop into the first overbank. Plus I think Millennium offers some of the best floater airtime around. I know coaster enthusiasts rave about super intense rides with insane positive G's but in my opinion, that's not the most important thing to a good coaster and not every coaster should be super positive G heavy. Positive G's are tiring on my body to be honest.

When I've said MF is pretty forceless to, I'm saying that independently of any popularly held beliefs. I've really only been a casual enthusiast since my college days starting about 12 years ago, when I couldn't afford to go to parks anymore and wasn't traveling with my parents so I had no chance to go anywhere. I can only comment on how I felt when I rode it in 2011 when I wasn't even paying attention to coaster sites and hadn't for about 8 years. Compared to the other hypers I rode during my trip, Magnum and Phantom's Revenge, I don't remember that much happening with MF after the first drop except for a lot of wind rushing by. I didn't come out of my seat after the first drop and the overbanks pretty much eliminated any of the force that may have happened in the curves, which seeing as overbanks pretty much came into existence with this coaster, that seemed to be by design. MF was the centerpiece of my trip to CP and a coaster I had literally dreamed about riding for years, and it was a great ride, but the experience of going 90+ on that compared to Fury is dramatically different because Fury dares to have elements that make you feel something while still being insanely fast.

I don't know why some equate thinking a coaster is forceless with liking Maverick. I completely despite Maverick and everything that poorly designed, head banging piece of crap stands for.

When I've said MF is pretty forceless to, I'm saying that independently of any popularly held beliefs. I've really only been a casual enthusiast since my college days starting about 12 years ago, when I couldn't afford to go to parks anymore and wasn't traveling with my parents so I had no chance to go anywhere. I can only comment on how I felt when I rode it in 2011 when I wasn't even paying attention to coaster sites and hadn't for about 8 years. Compared to the other hypers I rode during my trip, Magnum and Phantom's Revenge, I don't remember that much happening with MF after the first drop except for a lot of wind rushing by. I didn't come out of my seat after the first drop and the overbanks pretty much eliminated any of the force that may have happened in the curves, which seeing as overbanks pretty much came into existence with this coaster, that seemed to be by design. MF was the centerpiece of my trip to CP and a coaster I had literally dreamed about riding for years, and it was a great ride, but the experience of going 90+ on that compared to Fury is dramatically different because Fury dares to have elements that make you feel something while still being insanely fast.

How one personally experiences forces is subjective to their own body, tolerance levels, and preferences. That's not speaking of ethusiasts alone, either. That goes for every human being. However, whether a coaster has significant forces, is NOT subjective. And MF has forcefulness in spades! It's not airtime forcefulness, but rather speed forcefulness, and a few quick transitions as well. I've never gotten off a ride with a NE (non enthusiast), and had them relay your experience. They are all blown away by the ride! That doesn't discount your personal experience however. It is what it is for you, and nobody can take that away from you. However, anybody calling it Millennium Forceless is saying a lot more about their own personal proclivities, than they are about what the coaster experience actually is...

As for what you said about Maverick, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response...

I completely despite Maverick and everything that poorly designed, head banging piece of crap stands for

I agree Maverick sucks, nobody should ride it

and get in that slow moving queue ahead of me.

Ejector airtime and ridiculously amazing transitions all with great new pain free restraints (even though it was fine before) is just a complete waste of time.

I completely despite Maverick and everything that poorly designed, head banging piece of crap stands for

I agree Maverick sucks, nobody should ride it

and get in that slow moving queue ahead of me.

Ejector airtime and ridiculously amazing transitions all with great new pain free restraints (even though it was fine before) is just a complete waste of time.

I completely despite Maverick and everything that poorly designed, head banging piece of crap stands for.

Majestic

Alluring

Valorous

Exilirating

Resounding

Igniting

Captivating

Kinetic

Brilliant! Maverick has no head banging anymore either, so that statement seems pretty outdated, "despite" his opinion of it.

Looks like I went to Carowinds on the wrong couple of days. Would have loved to get more rides on Fury 325 and Thunder Road before it closed.