TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^Seems to me like a missed opportunity for Rocky Mountain Construction to build their first Aquatrax...

I thought Thunder Road was very enjoyable the past two years. I didn't think it was rough at all, although both times I sat in the 2nd row, very smooth. So long Thunder Road

I rode Thunder Road back in April when I went to check out Fury 325. The first two-thirds of the ride weren't bad (certainly no worse than Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion). But the last bit after the turnaround was like five miles of bumpy road.

What you're describing is exactly what the South Carolina side rode like. A little bit after the turnaround the tracking got so bad so instantly that I thought a car may have derailed. Not so with the North Carolina side. It was fantastic all the way through and was even better than I remember the ride being when I rode it over a dozen years ago as my second wooden coaster ever (Hurler first).

It's always a shame to see a classic woodie go, but that's the circle of roller coaster life. So long, Thunder Road.

I understand that they are removing this for a water park expansion, but it makes me wonder how much longer Rebel Yell and Racer are going to survive.

'Tis a sad day to see Thunder Road leaving. Personally, I'd rather see every 10 other coasters in the park go before Thunder Road besides Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn obviously.

Besides those coasters you've mentioned, Thunder Road was the only one in the park I even found all that enjoyable. It's a legitimately fun coaster in a park that's mostly stocked with second rate, dated snoozers.

It's always a shame to see a classic woodie go, but that's the circle of roller coaster life. So long, Thunder Road.

I understand that they are removing this for a water park expansion, but it makes me wonder how much longer Rebel Yell and Racer are going to survive.

Well they are sending 2 of Thunder Road's trains to Kings Dominion, and 2 to Kings Island so who knows...

I didn't think Thunder Road was anything special when I rode it earlier this year, but it wasn't a terrible rise either. One side was definitely less rough than the other, however. Still, unless there is something really wrong with it, I always hate to see classic coasters removed - especially old racers. R.I.P Thunder Road...

a park that's mostly stocked with second rate, dated snoozers.

I must confess, I have to agree with this statement, regrettably... I had high expectations for the park on my first visit, but other than Fury, Intimidator, and to a lesser extent Afterburn, nothing else was very exciting, in my opinion. Still, it's a nice enough park, and there's plenty of opportunities to grow and improve, potentially!

Such a shame, first time I went in 2002 it was quite rough and I didn't enjoy it that much. But when I went back in 2010 after GCI had done some re-tracking on it I loved it, definitely better than Hurler. Sad to see it go, at least we still have Racer & Rebel Yell, so long Thunder Road!

I must confess, I have to agree with this statement, regrettably... I had high expectations for the park on my first visit, but other than Fury, Intimidator, and to a lesser extent Afterburn, nothing else was very exciting, in my opinion. Still, it's a nice enough park, and there's plenty of opportunities to grow and improve, potentially!

Intimidator is a bit of a snooze-fest now, even thought I thought it was OK when it first opened. Fury and Afterburn are the highlights of Carowinds.

Intimidator is a bit of a snooze-fest now, even thought I thought it was OK when it first opened. Fury and Afterburn are the highlights of Carowinds.

100% agree - With the trims hitting even harder nowadays and Fury right next door, Intimidator has lost a lot of its charm. I've always considered the ride to be over when it hits the MCBR, too.

Cedar Fair is doing a wonderful job investing into this park, but it just has a lot of catching up to do with the lack of attention Paramount gave them. By the end of the decade this could easily be one of the top parks in the chain if the investments keep rolling along.

Intimidator can't be written off just because that first drop in the back has some insane air. The way it whips you over the top is awesome and was completely unexpected. It was disappointed to have trims really neuter the ride after the first few hills, but while its not the ride it could be and not one worth going out of the way for, it's still a really fun coaster. My wife, who just got over the 80 coaster mark on this recent trip, ranks it really high. We made a point to hit Intimidator before Fury though, I knew experiencing Fury first would take away all luster from Intimidator.

Hello everyone. I'm hitting Carowinds next Monday (8/3) and I was wondering what crowds would be like for some rides.

We are most likely going to arrive at the park 20-30 minutes prior to opening and were planning on hitting Intimidator first, then Nighthawk, then moving around the park in a counterclockwise pattern all the way to Afterburn. Would Nighthawk have any sort of line issues as being the second ride of the day right around opening, or would the line already become a problem? I can't ride Nighthawk first since I'm going with people who aren't interested in Nighthawk and they want to ride something ride as they get into the park before they wait for me.

And are there any other lines that might garner a bit of a line at given points throughout the day?

I was in the park on Saturday and while there were waits, nothing was ridiculous except for the lack of shade for most of every line in the park. I did Nighthawk/Intimidator first, then went right to Fury. Fury's wait wasn't bad and the line moved very quick to to an excellent effort by the crew. I'd ride it a couple times if the line isn't bad. Some other rides will not have long looking lines but due to inept crews and guests, I found that lines for rides like Ricochet, Afterburn, and the stupid mine train were longer than they appeared they should have been.

Rebel Yell is never going to go. It is not occupying anything important and is in great shape. Ditto for Racer. It's such a shame that Thunder Road had to go before its 40th birthday. Carowinds should have just did a 40th anniversary celebration for Thunder Road and expand the waterpark in 2017.

Well, on the bright side, the TOGO death machine up north is closing in t-minus 2 weeks!

I remember really liking it, but I only rode it once, and now that I think about it, I do remember the trims, which obviously are unfortunate... I did ride in the back, however, so maybe it was a better than normal ride due to that. Still doesn't compare to Fury though!

I was really amped to ride Afterburn after hearing so many people talk glowingly about it, but while I thought it was better than the run-of-the-mill Batman or Raptor small and intense Invert, I couldn't crack my Top 5 Inverts, personally... It still was clearly one of the best coasters there, however!

Carowinds really needs to fix NightHawk. I don't understand why it's so rough compared to Nightwing and FireHawk, they both ran way better. Has it always been this rough or did that happen this season?

When I rode it a couple weeks ago I didn't find it rough. Carolina Cyclone on the other hand is one of the worst coasters I have ridden lol

Carowinds really needs to fix NightHawk. I don't understand why it's so rough compared to Nightwing and FireHawk, they both ran way better. Has it always been this rough or did that happen this season?

When I rode it a couple weeks ago I didn't find it rough. Carolina Cyclone on the other hand is one of the worst coasters I have ridden lol

I really didn't find any of the coasters at Carowinds to be rough. Carolina Cyclone is a little rough but it's nothing awful.

... maybe it's just me.

It is the prototype...

It was rather smooth in 2008 when I rode it several times during the season. It was even in my top ten...until this year. When I returned last month it was the roughest thing in the park...with Carolina Cyclone not too far behind.

The two coasters at Carowinds I haaaaaaaaaated were Carolina Cyclone and Nighthawk. Cyclone was way too rough for me and Nighthawk just felt like it was going to fall apart as we went through the course.

<3 <3 Afterburn <3 <3