TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^ you should be able to do the refill thing with them. I PROMISE no one is even gonna look...you could probably bring one from last year, hell...10 years ago lol.

I am taking my first trip the Carowinds on July 11th. What is the best food in the park? I am hearing the BBQ is good.

The brisket is my go to when it comes to the BBQ

If the brisket is as good as it is at world's of fun, I will be all over it.

Yes...they sell the cups and refill them as well. Not many people know that besides free refills on the day you purchase the cup, you can pay $5 and reactivate it for free refills in a future visit.

BBQ is OK, the burgers at harmony hall are pretty good. Pizza is comparable to lunchables.

I was at the park yesterday, everything but the wild mouse was a walk-on. Water park looked really busy.

Heads up, I spent about $10 on water bottles before hearing over the speakers that cups of water were being given for free all day. First time I've been to a park that did this. It was great, available in all drink or food locations. This was dependant on the heat, but ask for a cup of water before hitting up the vending machines.

I've never had a problem with asking for cups of water at any park. I can't even remember the last time I've had to buy a bottled water at a theme park. Maybe I've just gotten lucky every time.

... is there a way to get into the event without being affiliated with the group the event is for? Thanks

There are two methods: Pay off the ticket booth guy, or jump the fence. (Don't do either of those, of course, unless you lack all common sense ). My friend somehow managed to jump the fence at Kennywood in 2005 and according to him made it all of 10 yards toward the entrance tunnel before being caught and promptly banned for life . (IMO he was lucky not to be arrested for trespassing, since Kennywood has actual police). (Note that I did not INVOLVE MYSELF WITH NOR DO I ENDORSE my friend's behavior AT ALL, I'm simply stating what happened, DO NOT DO THIS...EVER. I'm NOT BRAGGING ABOUT THIS SO I'M NOT IN VIOLATION OF RULE #15 ON THE ToS, MY FRIEND IS JUST AN IDIOT). Last year, my friend returned as a paying customer (to test if they actually enforced the lifetime ban after the Parques Reunidos acquisition), and made it through the entire day without any questions asked.

That stinks, though, about the private event... I hope that you can figure out a way to work the trip into your schedule despite this.

Personally, I think that it would be better if parks stopped closing for private events and instead posted "long lines" warnings and offered ticket date transfers for non-event attendees.

Personally, I think that it would be better if parks stopped closing for private events and instead posted "long lines" warnings and offered ticket date transfers for non-event attendees.

I don't think you quite get the whole concept of renting the park. I very much doubt BMW would pay Carowinds a bunch of money for tickets for each one of their employees only to encounter a park full of people.

They should consider doing what Kings Island does and shut down for private outings on the weekends in September before Haunt begins - this way the main season wouldn't be affected.

I'm sure they do consider it, but if a company has enough money and wants a certain day there are going to make an offer.

hey guys, i am planning a 4 day trip to carowinds " my first " the third week of august, i noticed on their calendar that it is the one week they close the park at 6pm. i assume it is because schools start back. so im hoping for walk on rides all day, every day. going monday through thursday. "the week can't be changed due to work. " so, could some Carowinds regulars please give me an idea what it's normally like that week?

That and besides BMW have been renting the park the last Sunday in June for the past 8yrs. I mean they're forking out around 3 mil so of coarse Carowinds would be like any day you want. Lol. After all it is on a Sunday a slow day.

They are not paying 3 million. I believe that carowinds even posted on Facebook that that number is false.

With that being said, I was in the park yesterday and while in line, I had overheard a few conversations about how people did not like that the park was closed. I personally think that if there going to do this, they should pick a day early in the season, of a day that they are closed anyways. To close the park around the 4th of July is just kinda bad .

Going back into the park today. Going to try to get a thunder road pin. The ride was running great! I think they are closing the wrong coaster. Close Hurler. ...that ride sucked.

I think the park can close its doors to a private event whenever it wants to, regardless of what the GP and entitled enthusiasts think. It's one day out of an entire season. I'll have no complaints as long as it's on the calendar.

I think the park can close its doors to a private event whenever it wants to, regardless of what the GP and entitled enthusiasts think. It's one day out of an entire season. I'll have no complaints as long as it's on the calendar.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but if your in the amusement park business I would assume that you WOULD care what the general public think as they are your bread and butter.

Happens all the time. CGA, KI, CP AND KBF have all been rented out. It is what it is. They owe the GP nothing as long as it is advertised via website, social media, etc.....

Carowinds announced the closure on Facebook and Twitter. It was also on their website. It's the guest's responsibility to check a parks website prior to planning a trip.

I don't agree with closing out your park on a summer day. Not everyone's summer planning is entirely flexible and one plans summer plans with the assumption that summer parks are going to be open in the summer on a weekend day. I've got Carowinds on my itinerary for July but I feel lucky that I'm not getting caught in this silly mess because I easily could have been in Charlotte on the day the park was rented out.

Again, it's the GUEST'S RESPONSIBILITY to check the operating calendar prior to visiting. If you don't, this is a consequence to taking that risk.

Again, it's the GUEST'S RESPONSIBILITY to check the operating calendar prior to visiting. If you don't, this is a consequence to taking that risk.

I don't even know why this is a conversation...

I don't even know why this is a conversation...

Have you read the GP thread? The things the GP say are stupid enough.

Renting out a park is incredibly normal. SFGAdv has a couple days out of the year blocked off, usually in May and June. We'd always encounter the guests that didn't check before they left when I was working at the McDonald's outside of the park. We were always empathetic with the people who realized their mistake of not checking (especially ones who drove down from NY), but the ones who acted incredulous were another story.

I visited June 17 and man it was hot, over 100 degrees! The front gate was very crowded but most people wisely went for the water park. Some notes...

Fury is my new #1 coaster out of my 294, which is no surprise since Leviathan was my favorite before it came along. I am in the minority of speed coaster fans , while the ones 200 feet or less haven't touched my top 10 and can't dethrone the Intamins up there, these giga speed coasters are amazing and I love the low to the ground maneuvers and that first drop is killer !

Intimidator is still good, no line for any coasters today on account of the heat.

Afterburner was better than I remember, even after riding Banshee last year.

The staff here was very nice for the most part, and were encouraging and giving lots of ice water to guests.

image.thumb.jpg.64507b13784c76719fcee84e07adc90a.jpg

Banshee's badass older brother

image.jpg.8c56f4fd3245cbe877350818e27afa0d.jpg

Afterburn

image.thumb.jpg.8d40ac9a8fd1bb42371c3ec59e032069.jpg

Love these intense inverted loops

image.thumb.jpg.a8bf6728ad7e0fc8a2923b0cb47111cf.jpg

No wait time at all

image.thumb.jpg.0d1a57fb84a90e255d34871c062ecaee.jpg

I still love you Intimidator

image.jpg.95deffc20b357efa442d01045933c403.jpg

It's just...

image.jpg.6b9d243cb15c081f6c5c5955a42edf48.jpg

... I've found someone else.

image.jpg.57be15a2625e3828673ea5fe8baa462b.jpg

You can "see the heat" in this photo

image.thumb.jpg.7dce5def9486a1c53d7e15a363ebaa98.jpg

So good, plus the guy working here told us all the new coasters coming in the next 30 years.

image.thumb.jpg.dc3419c0f5dc3185edc4f480887cb4f2.jpg

Jessie and I love B&Ms... She got her nails done to celebrate Fury!

image.jpg.6e004c10eb0e1ea1163c53da9f6df912.jpg

I took home a plush hornet... I couldn't resist. You could win stingers and hornet helmets too, but for some reason... No one was wearing them in the 100 degree heat :)

image.jpg.e0876cc0c1f677f85062da05774895e4.jpg

We made it !

image.thumb.jpg.db02b590585539ac37b91f564ffd7190.jpg

Best drop I've ever done, the slowing lift hill at the summit makes acrophobics like me cringe a little.

image.jpg.065ba5e2355baf4e13cf10148f90f310.jpg

Amazingly fast and massive amounts of airtime

image.thumb.jpg.9b35cf535a19ccd0a51176742d4abcd1.jpg

Sideways airtime is always great

image.thumb.jpg.49015fa2542fd05a02ab6c0d4d56c911.jpg

Loved this element

image.thumb.jpg.48d17c65d58836496fed17445eb30f39.jpg

We love it! We love the South and we will be back for the next one! Thanks for the hospitality Carolina's!