TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Yes the SF exec said it was "exclusive" but what I think she really means is that Six Flags is that only one that has them. No exclusive deal, just the only ones to buy them and the only ones that have them.

Yup, just like a launched B&M Wingrider is a Holiday World exclusive, a Maxi Dance 360 is a Silverwood exclusive (to my knowledge), and S&S FreeSpin's are exclusive to Six Flags.

Not that I think RMC Road is coming, but anyone saying that the layout would hold it back is crazy. I think an RMC airtime marathon broken up by a few zero-g rolls would be great.

I know it hasnt been done, but it would be cool to see RMC add to a structure. Make a ride taller, add a helix off to the side, etc.

Water park addition is pretty much a sure thing. That doesnt mean they will use all of the coasters foot print in 2016. Whos to say that they arent saving a nice chunk of it for 2017/2018?

I have a question to ask frequent Carowinds vistors....Have there been any stories of fatty walks of shame on Fury 325? I'm planning on heading down to Carowinds in June and have lost a considerable amount of weight this winter, possibly 20lbs. Last year, when I went to Busch Gardens for the first time, Apollo's Chariot was a pretty tight fit, but I got in, of course I was erring close to a possible 49 inches on my waist. I'm currently down to 44 and hope to be in the lower 40s by the time vacation rolls along.

Need I be concerned, or not?

I have a question to ask frequent Carowinds vistors....Have there been any stories of fatty walks of shame on Fury 325? I'm planning on heading down to Carowinds in June and have lost a considerable amount of weight this winter, possibly 20lbs. Last year, when I went to Busch Gardens for the first time, Apollo's Chariot was a pretty tight fit, but I got in, of course I was erring close to a possible 49 inches on my waist. I'm currently down to 44 and hope to be in the lower 40s by the time vacation rolls along.

I saw some pretty big people riding Fury. Didn't see any walks of shame. I sat next to a guy that was at least 6'4'', 320lb and he fit.

They have a test seat at the entrance before you even step through the queue. Just try it out first, but you should be fine.

I went in April, i was one that had a "fatty walk of shame" i tried the test seat out...it only clicked once. I was probably around 48" waist then, i can fit a 44 now as well as my 48's too...i'm hoping as well that i will be able to fit...

Its crazy man, i swear people much bigger than me in the stomach were able to ride, it seems like you gotta have small legs, since that's mainly where the lap bar rest.

I've gotta give to Carowinds though, they did try their best to help me fit...LOL!

I'm heading back June 20th, i've been thinking about FURY since... GOOD LUCK!

I should mention that on Apollo's Chariot, they let me ride with only one click, but I managed to squeeze it to two clicks despite it being tight. I'm hoping that with 20lbs off me and four inches smaller in the waist, I'll be able to do three.

I should mention that on Apollo's Chariot, they let me ride with only one click, but I managed to squeeze it to two clicks despite it being tight. I'm hoping that with 20lbs off me and four inches smaller in the waist, I'll be able to do three.

Yeah Carowinds will not let you ride unless it CLICKS 3 TIMES, i think the system will not read clear until it does...atleast that's the way it seemed.

Because the girl at my seat kept looking at the control station for approval...the lady at controls shook her head no.

Well i hope we both will fit...its not too big of a deal for me...i'll just go again in Aug/Sept!

Rides i fit on just fine:

Afterburn

Carolina Cyclone/Cobra

Thunder Road

Hurler

Windseeker

these are the only coaster i rode back in April, i will try Richochet this time around.

I'll be at Carowinds for the first time Wednesday August 5th from 4-10pm and then the following morning for ERT and a few more hours. I don't need a ton of rides, but should I consider Fast Lane+ to get everything in? Thanks for any comments/opinions in advance.

I'll be at Carowinds for the first time Wednesday August 5th from 4-10pm and then the following morning for ERT and a few more hours. I don't need a ton of rides, but should I consider Fast Lane+ to get everything in? Thanks for any comments/opinions in advance.

Not really...its a wed.

Before I get started on the main subject of this post, yesterday at Carowinds a 5th grader got left behind on a field trip, and his school was 2 hours away: http://myfox8.com/2015/05/27/5th-grader-accidentally-left-behind-on-field-trip-to-carowinds/

Looks like someone has already made an online petition to save Thunder Road. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethunderroad

Good. God.

Wow. I do realize how near and dear Thunder Road is to Charlotte, but I didn't expect them to go that far. There were people complaining about how Thunder Road is better than a "waterpark expansion", and they don't even know what the new attraction is yet...

I've had a few theories on what they could be putting in Thunder Road's place:

AquaTrax:

I know what you're thinking. But I actually have logic to explain why I think it could be an AquaTrax. They said that it will be making a "big splash" in 2016, which would lead most people into thinking that it is a waterpark expansion. But my brain just isn't that simple. I thought of an AquaTrax as soon as I heard them say that.

Another reason why I think it could be an AquaTrax is because when Cedar Point was putting out teasers for Rougourou, one of the big executives of the park put out a picture on Twitter of a "to-do list" that said some stuff like "Call Intamin for an AquaTrax" & "Call RMC for a Topper Track coaster"...I can't remember exactly what it said, but I remember those 2 things. Cedar Fair has said that they are trying to make Carowinds the new Cedar Point of the southeast, and a unique ride like an AquaTrax would make up for Maverick. I looked at the cost of Atlantis Adventure at Lotte World and it said that in US dollars it would be 30 million, and Atlantis Adventure was built 12 years ago...they still have 20 million dollars in the 50 million dollar expansion, but here is how I think that they can still make an AquaTrax out of 20 million dollars. Cedar Fair parks don't put a lot of theming into most of their coasters, and Atlantis Adventure has A LOT of theming, including animatronics. So if they weren't going to theme it as much as Atlantis Adventure, I could definitely see them making an AquaTrax out of 20 million dollars. Also, who says that AquaTrax's have to have a launch? The one at Carowinds could just have a lift hill, that would save some money. I am hoping that it will be an AquaTrax.

Waterpark Expansion: For obvious reasons...

I know it hasnt been done, but it would be cool to see RMC add to a structure. Make a ride taller, add a helix off to the side, etc.

It has been done, and more than just increasing the lift height (which has been added to most of their conversions). Take the double up on NTAG: it wasn't even remotely there before.

223151_10150156994261588_3733434_n.jpg?oh=9016f9acabd47fb080499cf5e9e5b19f&oe=55FDAD99

Edited by RollerManic

Hi guys. My wife and I are visiting for the first time June 19 and 20. It looks like a season pass is the best option for a 2 day visit, unless anyone knows of discount tickets nearby. Gold passes include parking and a mention of early ride times, but not much else. Are early rides everyday? What time? Is it just on Fury? Any details would be much appreciated. I'm thinking silver passes and staying across the road and walking, but a gold pass would open up more hotel options. Thanks!

^Here's a link to the Exclusive Ride Time schedule for season pass members.

https://www.carowinds.com/assets/uploads/2015%20Season%20Pass%20ERT%20Calendar.pdf

It starts 30 minutes before regular park opening. As far as I know it's only for Fury 325 as that's the only ride it mentions. It's good for Silver, Gold or Platinum passes. Also you get early access to Boomerang Bay (15 minutes early at 10:45) if you plan to go to the water park. You get 10% discounts on food and merchandise as well. Gold pass also includes Dinosaurs Alive (Silver does not).

Hi guys. My wife and I are visiting for the first time June 19 and 20. It looks like a season pass is the best option for a 2 day visit, unless anyone knows of discount tickets nearby. Gold passes include parking and a mention of early ride times, but not much else. Are early rides everyday? What time? Is it just on Fury? Any details would be much appreciated. I'm thinking silver passes and staying across the road and walking, but a gold pass would open up more hotel options. Thanks!

If you don't plan on going to Dino Alive or using the exclusive ride time in the morning, then only get Gold for one of you. Get Silver for the other. You only need one for the free parking and discounts.

Also, I need some line advice...

I went to Carowinds during Spring Break, and braved the long lines and no ERT to ride Fury (albeit once) without FL or FL+. I managed to get on Fury, Intimidator (twice ), Afterburn (ugh), Vortex (they made a ballet based on this one-the Nutcracker), and Thunder Road (#savethunderroad ). I still have yet to ride Nighthawk, Carolina Cyclone, Carolina Cobra, and Carolina Goldrusher (I don't need to do the Hurler and Ricochet because I ride their KD clones frequently). I will likely visit the park again on a weekday in July or August, so that means Fury ERT . Are there any strategies to avoid the monstrous Nighthawk line so I can finally ride a Flying Dutchman? (the fact that I want to ride a Vekoma is pathetic in general)

^ I suggest hitting Fury 325 once or twice for the ERT and then sneak over to Nighthawk so you can be first in line when the park opens. If you choose to try and ride it at any time other than right when the park opens, it will be a 45+ minute wait. And I think I am being generous at 45 minutes.

Did the park change the operating schedule for June? I planned our trip there for the 28th and 29th on June, and swore they were open 10am-10pm both days. Now I look and they are closed Sunday June 28 for a private event.

This sucks, as we are doing a multi park trip and this screws up our entire schedule.

It has been that way since the schedule was released. The park has annually been closed for a company's private event the final Sunday of June the past several seasons.

I think Kings Dominion schedules the private events best and limits companies to only rent the park out the weekends between Labor Day and the beginning of Haunt... but Carowinds' Haunt starts a week or two earlier than KD's so they don't have that option necessarily.

992263528_ScreenShot2015-06-07at5_22_59PM.png.167f0f79a47df2386ca65928f06a765c.png

On a different topic, I found it funny that Kings Dominion's employee night for Soak City was called "Big Splash!" since that's the emphasis on the Carowinds 2016 project. Obviously there is no connection, but I saw it on KD's HR Instagram page and thought it was worth a share.

However, as many others have said, I could see Boomerang Bay becoming Soak City next season or in 2017.