TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Whatever they're doing next season is part of the 'more than 50 million' 3 year investment.

Source: Carowinds Website https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Thunder-Road

Classic Carowinds Roller Coaster Taking A Bow

Thunder Road is gearing up for its final ride. After 39 years and nearly 40 million scream-filled rides, this iconic wooden racing coaster will carry its last guests on July 26. The ride is being retired to make room for future park growth, which is part of a more than $50 million multi-year investment plan.

If its not for the water park addition in 2016, it just makes the decision to remove Thunder Road even more stupid given the fact that they could have put this attraction anywhere else in the park.

Whatever they're doing next season is part of the 'more than 50 million' 3 year investment.

Source: Carowinds Website https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Thunder-Road

Classic Carowinds Roller Coaster Taking A Bow

Thunder Road is gearing up for its final ride. After 39 years and nearly 40 million scream-filled rides, this iconic wooden racing coaster will carry its last guests on July 26. The ride is being retired to make room for future park growth, which is part of a more than $50 million multi-year investment plan.

If its not for the water park addition in 2016, it just makes the decision to remove Thunder Road even more stupid given the fact that they could have put this attraction anywhere else in the park.

I think the number of years is to be debated. From what I gather, everything is being done in stages with the first stage being what we have seen already. Thus being the removal of TR and the addition of .................... is the start of the second phase. We only know numbers from what was presented factually in the info I posted. Which would show all the funds were removed. What is more than 50 million? 51 million?? 58 million??

And again, why are people so stark sure 2016 is for the water park. Anyone willing to make a bet...its not???

Like I said, I could totally see this not being for the water park, which makes the removal of Thunder Road more frustrating because they could have built the attraction(s) anywhere else in the park... or you know in that parking lot and huge grass field right next to Thunder Road.

Also, with the whole 'Cedar Point of the South' yee-haw bandwagon, it doesn't make sense to remove Thunder Road and possibly Dodg’ems, Yo-Yo, White Water Falls in my opinion. Yes, what will replace them will probably be better, but removing all these rides just makes Carowinds even smaller. If you're trying to make Carowinds a 'Cedar Point', it needs more rides and not removing a whole area (County Fair) of the park. Carowinds is still a 'finish it all in less than a day park'. It needs to grow, not stay the same size with replacing attractions.

For those RMC believers, the park said "The ride is being retired to make room for future family-fun attractions"... I don't know about you all, but RMC coasters are the last thing from 'family-fun' in my opinion, as it would easily be the most intense ride at Carowinds if that were to happen - so that's not happening.

The reason why we all think there is a water park expansion in the future is because at the end of the fury announce the meeting with he media, they said something along the lines of "join us next year as we announce how we will SPLASH into the 2016 season!"

Unless they plan on putting in a mandatory waterfall you have to walk through to get into the park, it sounds like a water park expansion....

'Splash' can mean something else besides the water park however. There was public outcry (much like right now with TR) when the log flume was removed for Intimidator, so I'm sure something to fill the gap has been in the long-term plan since then. The park is often miserable to be in during the summer thanks to the Carolina heat, and a nice new water ride would be welcomed in the park by the public. However, after the somewhat failure of Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point, I'd be interested to see in the direction Cedar Fair would go in installing a new non-water park water ride.

The reason why we all think there is a water park expansion in the future is because at the end of the fury announce the meeting with he media, they said something along the lines of "join us next year as we announce how we will SPLASH into the 2016 season!"

Unless they plan on putting in a mandatory waterfall you have to walk through to get into the park, it sounds like a water park expansion....

Well you guys gotta start thinking out of the tube...

As a huge fan of Racer at Kings Island, this news is sort of sad to me, and I hope it doesn't mean Racer's days are numbered.

There's something charming about old-fashioned wooden coasters. Yes, rides like Outlaw Run (my #1 coaster) are incredible, but old coasters can be just as fun.

It's obvious this is for a water park expansion, but I just wish they could've left Thunder Road as is.

It'll be interesting to see what happens...although i am one to hope for a RMC coaster...from the sounds of it, probably not gonna happen. I just think we need more diverse coasters...i'm kinda glad they are getting rid of Thunder Road its had a good run...give us a dive coaster, or winged coaster...launched coaster?

Looking forward to the announcements next year...

A water park expansion is most likely. I wish they took a page out of KD's book and made a path through through Thunder Road. An RMC is highly unlikely, as Cedar Fair doesn't work with RMC (yet). Plus, there's not much they can do with the layout anyway, it's very linear and out and back-ish. If it were more of a twister layout, then I'd say they can make a top-notch ride.

A water park expansion is most likely. I wish they took a page out of KD's book and made a path through through Thunder Road. An RMC is highly unlikely, as Cedar Fair doesn't work with RMC (yet). Plus, there's not much they can do with the layout anyway, it's very linear and out and back-ish. If it were more of a twister layout, then I'd say they can make a top-notch ride.

I wonder if there is some kind of exclusivity contract between SF and RMC for a few years which is why all the American steel RMCs have been at Six Flags so far. Wasn't Colossus quite linear too? I rode it a few years ago but RMC doesn't necessarily need a twister layout to be able to make the turns and drops more exciting or even put in inversions (I'm not saying they'll get an RMC BTW, I just thought I'd comment on this)

I wonder if there is some kind of exclusivity contract between SF and RMC for a few years which is why all the American steel RMCs have been at Six Flags so far. Wasn't Colossus quite linear too? I rode it a few years ago but RMC doesn't necessarily need a twister layout to be able to make the turns and drops more exciting or even put in inversions (I'm not saying they'll get an RMC BTW, I just thought I'd comment on this)

Check earlier in the thread, evidence from RMC that there isn't any exclusivity clause

Check earlier in the thread, evidence from RMC that there isn't any exclusivity clause

OK, apologies

My fingers are crossed for a water ride vs a new slide complex. We just got new slides and this park could definitely use a new way to cool down a bit.

Shame to lose the parks best woodie, I'm sure they wouldn't toss a classic for no good reason.

RMC doesn't seem likely due to the rides layout, and the obvious lack of a big splash (probably, unless they had something weird up their sleeves).

My fingers are crossed for a water ride vs a new slide complex. We just got new slides and this park could definitely use a new way to cool down a bit.

Shame to lose the parks best woodie, I'm sure they wouldn't toss a classic for no good reason.

RMC doesn't seem likely due to the rides layout, and the obvious lack of a big splash (probably, unless they had something weird up their sleeves).

i can see a similar slide complex like the one KD just got going here.

A splash battle would be cool. They could have that open to both water park and non-water park guests. One of those fast current versions of lazy rivers... I'd be bemused if they built yet another wave pool. I've never understood why they kept the old one after the new one was built, myself. It's so small.

Except it was Stated at the Twisted Colossus Opening that the I Box Track is Exclusive to Six Flags.

Except it was Stated at the Twisted Colossus Opening that the I Box Track is Exclusive to Six Flags.

Any sources? Can anyone vouch for this?

Technically it is. RMC themselves said Six Flags does not have an exclusive contract, but so far Six Flags has been keeping them too busy for other clients at their previous production capacity, but that should change with their expanded manufacturing facilities.

Really... This again?

From RMC's Q&A:

Six Flags is awesome to work with and they have kept us busy. They gave us our first break with the New Texas Giant and they continue to believe in RMC and our coasters. We will continue to work with them and other Non-Six Flags parks. They do not have an exclusive.

Really... This again?

From RMC's Q&A:

Six Flags is awesome to work with and they have kept us busy. They gave us our first break with the New Texas Giant and they continue to believe in RMC and our coasters. We will continue to work with them and other Non-Six Flags parks. They do not have an exclusive.

Yes the SF exec said it was "exclusive" but what I think she really means is that Six Flags is that only one that has them. No exclusive deal, just the only ones to buy them and the only ones that have them.