TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

There is nothing that even comes close to resembling ejector airtime...it felt just like any other B&M hyper even built and I think Goliath @ SFOG and Behemoth are even stronger and better rides.

Here are some photos I took.

Definitely appreciate your honest opinion, but I find it interesting that you think Behemoth is the stronger and better ride....

I thought that Behemoth was one of the weakest B+M Hypers (along with Raging Bull) I have ever ridden. For me Leviathan was far superior to this one.

But I will conquer Fury in June and have the ability to judge on my own, looking forward to try it out. By the way, nice pictures!

Interesting review, Jake...thank you for sharing!

It has been very entertaining reading all of the different reviews of this coaster from the Charlotte locals to folks that have thousands of coaster credits in their back pockets.

This reminds me a lot of when Gatekeeper & Leviathan opened. There were some CP & CW fanboys that made it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and then were offended when some of the more seasoned coaster riders said that it was average at best, or actually (gasp!) not all that great.

I went out to ride because they are both 3.5 hour drives from my house. But if I lived in say, Florida, would I have driven or flown there to specifically ride these coasters? Absolutely not.

Fury feels the same way in my opinion. If I'm in the area, it would be fun to go & ride...but I would not drive ten hours or buy a $400 plane ticket to go to specifically ride it.

I am very happy for Carowinds that they got a giga though...they definitely needed another signature coaster to go with Intimidator and Afterburn.

I think it's funny people are still arguing so much over this ride. Anyone who has ridden a few B&M hypers knows what to expect...a smooth and comfortable ride which can give mild to strong floater airtime, and if you're lucky you'll get a few spots of moderately strong positive G's. As Robb said, the GP will eat it up, while most enthusiasts will have more lukewarm reactions because...let's face it...enthusiasts who travel the world are by and large adrenaline junkies. By our nature, we are attracted to the most extreme rides out there, and B&M doesn't cater to these people with their hyper/giga designs.

With all that said, I have met some seasoned riders who prefer B&M to Intamin, so it really does come down to personal preference. Then we can break airtime down even more; for instance, I prefer sustained airtime over short pops, so I prefer El Toro's camelbacks over the RT crossover hill, even if the airtime is weaker. But I digress

Bottom line is let's enjoy the ride for what it is and stop getting on each other for having different opinions than our own.

Thanks for the honest review, Garbels! As expected, it's a forceless ride. How about the rattle, does it exist in the back rows?

I'm really curious of their intention of putting a 10 degrees drop after the 5th turn. And what's with that helix? The only bigger ones that came to mind are Lisbergbanan's and Beast's.

As expected, it's a forceless ride.

...In some people's opinion. I dont care one way or the other if Fury is the best ride ever or completely terrible (I wont be riding anytime soon as far as I can tell) but it's really annoying that a bunch of people don't understand the difference between opinion and fact.

Every review I've read I've enjoyed and appreciated immensely, from the ones that are underwhelmed to the ones that are glowing. But one type of opinion doesn't have more merit than the other. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm surrounded by people in college who understand basic things like how an opinion works but I really thought most people would understand this.

(PS, love the pictures Jakizle)

^^HA! Not forceless my @$$!! I had the terrible misfortune of riding this snooze machine yesterday. If this coaster is forceful then Gatekeeper might as well be Kumba!

The drop was meh, the barrel turn dragged through, the s-curve didn't throw me like these fanboys claim it does. Just the whole ride through, I was bored. The helix was just a waste of steel. The support wasn't alarming in the least bit. If you want an AMAZING ride and not another B&M hyper, I suggest you take your behind to Richmond. Fury 325 is just another over hyped front gate statement.

And the rattle was VERY noticeable. Especially on those last two hills.

As expected, it's a forceless ride.

...In some people's opinion. I dont care one way or the other if Fury is the best ride ever or completely terrible (I wont be riding anytime soon as far as I can tell) but it's really annoying that a bunch of people don't understand the difference between opinion and fact.

Every review I've read I've enjoyed and appreciated immensely, from the ones that are underwhelmed to the ones that are glowing. But one type of opinion doesn't have more merit than the other. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm surrounded by people in college who understand basic things like how an opinion works but I really thought most people would understand this.

(PS, love the pictures Jakizle)

Well if his opinion is that it is forceless, then its his opinion. You cant be mad over his opinion because its HIS opinion.

I rode Fury yesterday after a 2 hour line. Was a good ride for sure. I didn't think it was forceless, but it isn't on the level of Maverick or Intimidator 305. A nice addition to Carowinds for sure. The food at the park was really nice as well. Will anyone be going to the "Taste of the Carolinas" event?

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.

There's some people who are either locals or have a personal connection to Carowinds who really want Fury to succeed, and to them it means it has to be the best coaster ever. They will build it up so much and idealize the ride (especially before it opens) to a point where they cannot look at it from an unbiased opinion. This phenomenon is called "fanboy-ism." I get it, I do this with music, Radiohead releases a new album and I've anticipated it so much that I'd say "best album of the decade" or whatever immediately. It's only once you really move past the hype and expectations that you can truly compare it and realize what it actually is.

The bottom line is that Fury is a huge marketable new addition to Carowinds that is sure to bring a TON of business for the coming years, and I'm sure it's really fun! It's great to see the park succeed in a realistic sense, I wish Carowinds all the best in their growth of the park. And although the ride is sure to be great, it will definitely NOT be in an accurate Top 10 ranking in the world. There's steel coasters, maybe even 10-20 years old that probably deliver more (Bizzaro? GeForce? Katun? Nemesis? Kumba?).

But like with most theme parks, the fanboys here are the most disappointed that "their new coaster" is not the world's best like they built it up to be before it even opened. Everyone has their biases, but I surely trust the opinion of somebody who has ridden 500-1000 coasters over a Carowinds local...

I had no idea you could walk under the ride on so many places. It's really cool when you can get close to a ride like that.

It's interesting that Leviathan has netting all under the track that goes over the walk way yet Fury has none. I think it looks a lot better without it.

Fury really is an amazing looking coaster.

I had no idea you could walk under the ride on so many places. It's really cool when you can get close to a ride like that.

I think that's a nice feature, too--especially if you want to take photos.

It's interesting that Leviathan has netting all under the track that goes over the walk way yet Fury has none. I think it looks a lot better without it.

They will probably eventually add nets in but who knows

They will probably eventually add nets in but who knows

Goliath at SFOG has the net, I've always wondered what it was for, now I feel stupid because it's so obvious haha.

It looks nice without netting. I've never liked how rides like shambhala have netting on the whole drop. You might not really notice it if you're not in the front but it's always better not to have them. But then you have to rely on people behaving properly and following the park rules.

I rode Fury yesterday after a 2 hour line. Was a good ride for sure. I didn't think it was forceless, but it isn't on the level of Maverick or Intimidator 305. A nice addition to Carowinds for sure. The food at the park was really nice as well. Will anyone be going to the "Taste of the Carolinas" event?

Wow...I just checked out 'Taste of the Carolina's on their website and this looks awesome. I am so glad to see more parks getting into these food festivals!!!

I sure hope someone does a trip report of this...screw Fury!

Link

the fanboys here are the most disappointed that "their new coaster" is not the world's best like they built it up to be before it even opened. Everyone has their biases, but I surely trust the opinion of somebody who has ridden 500-1000 coasters over a Carowinds local...

To suggest that everyone who ranks this in their top 10 is doing it because they're Carowinds fanboys is unfair. I'm not a Carowinds local, before last weekend I had only been there once in my life and while I haven't ridden nearly as many coasters as some people here I've ridden about 250 and I rank this at #5, ahead of Bizarro, Kumba (barely), I305, Boulder Dash and a lot of other coasters that usually get ranked much higher. Some people like different things.

it will definitely NOT be in an accurate Top 10 ranking in the world

So someone that sets overly high expectations for the ride and then ranks the ride highly is a fanboy, but someone who declares that the ride will not be in an accurate top 10 ranking without ever riding it (like you're doing) has more credibility? At least those people have ridden the ride.

It doesn't really matter to me what anyone else thinks of this coaster, I know I love it (and I had low expectations going in) but it doesn't make sense to declare where it does and doesn't belong in a top 10 list without ever riding it.

the fanboys here are the most disappointed that "their new coaster" is not the world's best like they built it up to be before it even opened. Everyone has their biases, but I surely trust the opinion of somebody who has ridden 500-1000 coasters over a Carowinds local...

To suggest that everyone who ranks this in their top 10 is doing it because they're Carowinds fanboys is unfair. I'm not a Carowinds local, before last weekend I had only been there once in my life and while I haven't ridden nearly as many coasters as some people here I've ridden about 250 and I rank this at #5, ahead of Bizarro, Kumba (barely), I305, Boulder Dash and a lot of other coasters that usually get ranked much higher. Some people like different things.

it will definitely NOT be in an accurate Top 10 ranking in the world

So someone that sets overly high expectations for the ride and then ranks the ride highly is a fanboy, but someone who declares that the ride will not be in an accurate top 10 ranking without ever riding it (like you're doing) has more credibility? At least those people have ridden the ride.

It doesn't really matter to me what anyone else thinks of this coaster, I know I love it (and I had low expectations going in) but it doesn't make sense to declare where it does and doesn't belong in a top 10 list without ever riding it.

I'm really intrigued by Fury 325. Not to mention I'd love some old fashioned floaty airtime fun on Intimidator. Do I think they will be my #1 and #2? Not really, but I think they will make for an amazing trip to what seems to be a very nice park.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I honestly do not understand the mentality shared by so many people that "if new coaster is not automatically your OMFG #1 blow me away ride, it means you HATE it and want it burned to the ground."

I get this so often and it's so insanely stupid and annoying. There are a TON of coasters that I *like* and would go out of my way to travel for that do not appear on my top ten list. Hell, Tokyo Disney, Europa Park, and Grona Lund are some of my favorite parks in the world that I would spend thousands of dollars to travel to, and not a single one of their coasters appear in my "top ten" list.

But to some coaster nerds, if you're not violently ejaculating milk cartons over the newest coaster, you're the most evil, vile person on the planet.

And this sort of thinking really needs to stop. It's a cancer that infects this hobby. FFS people, just enjoy the rides for what they are regardless where they fall in yours or someone else's ranking list.

I can't say this enough and I know for some people it will never sink in.