TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Carowinds posted a reverse POV and it's pretty hilarious, watch the face of the guy in blue.

Did I actually see the riders being forced up into their lapbars during the 3 camelback hills? They seem to be shaped more like low speed hills than high parabola floater hills.

I think the ride looks great. I try to appreciate roller coasters for what they are, and I'll for sure enjoy Fury 325. It looks so FAST!

For all the critics among us, I'd like to refer you to my signature.

And where did anyone say the ride lacked speed??? I certainly didn't.

Page 593. 3 posts mention something along the lines of the second half being slow. Granted, none of the three actually rode the ride, so they're pretty pointless comments.

Did I actually see the riders being forced up into their lapbars during the 3 camelback hills?

You did! And that's what I was describing. Its not the typical floaty air...it was more extreme(by B&M standards)!

Notice how it kinda throws them into the first turns and not so much in the helix...I personally think its a great coaster that deserves the national and international attention it is getting.

^Agreed! I think part of the reason there's a contrast between the reverse and forward POVs is that the forward appears to have been filmed with an empty train. The reverse POV was shot with a full train of riders and probably after Fury had a chance to warm up for the day. It also has the advantage of perspective with the track layout unfolding behind the train to add to the sense of speed. I'm betting that night rides will be where it's at.

I don't see any lack of speed in that reverse POV.

I thought I had a good day today because I seeded the lawn and had a few beers with an old friend. Then I get home and see this... It's hard to imagine how people can be so objective when riding something as great looking as this roller coaster, but I guess everyone is different.

Yes, people often hold different opinions when they are being "objective."

Huh?

I thought he may have meant objective as an adjective form of the verb "to object," or to oppose something. Not entirely sure though.

To be "objective" is to be "unbiased." Not sure that's what he meant.

^Objectively, I think maybe he was trying to say he disliked the 'objections'.

Check this, it really highlights how much faster the pacing is with riders:

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRdJH7cnQPkM&start1=54&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Da5GZ1QOYdpk&start2=54&authorName=snoopsagan

The forward POV on the right starts just a hair ahead and ends several seconds behind.

Finally made it back to the hotel... Fury 325 is simply INSANE! It is unlike any other B&M hyper/giga I have been on (all of them in the US plus Leviathan in Canada). The airtime is near ejector, quick transitions, intense, etc... Easily a top hyper/giga for me, no question. Riding Intimidator afterward really put it into perspective... The new B&M stuff is just far better!

I never thought I would experience airtime like that on a B&M. The pacing was just fantastic... Quick, snappy elements. Excellent airtime (not just OK, but GREAT!). Completely smooth as you would expect.

Easily my new #1 hyper/giga... I had high expectations coming from my love of Leviathan, but it was above and beyond even that. We were on the second to last train of the event and it really started to warm up and was FLYING. Far more braking at the end of the ride compared to the earlier rides, it was hitting to brakes quite a bit faster.

Carowinds hit a home-run... Really. If somebody comes off Fury disappointed there is something wrong with them. It's that good.

The event thrown by the park was also really well done... Entertainment, stunning food, friendly staff... It was all-around awesome. It was probably the best media event I have been to. New bar set!

I only have some photos up from the event until next week when I get home and can formally edit them on my computer at home... You can see my updates on my photography FB page here in the meantime.

http://www.facebook.com/invertalon

I will post the update when I get all the photos uploaded next week.

Edited by Invertalon

I was there today, and was the one that posted about it being a speed machine, but No airtime. I re-rode the ride 4 more times after that, including front row, back row, and in the middle. I stand by what i said. The front row is great, you can really feel the wind in your face and can totally tell it is a speed monster. The back, yes you get a lot more airtime, but it is still nothing compared to its 20' shorter cousin 5 hours to the north, and the rattling back there was BAD. The middle, well i might as well of been riding a mine train.

With that said, is it a HUGE marketing piece for the park. Yes. Does the park look great with the refresh. Yes. I really like how they redid the entire area, the last time i was at Carowinds was for the opening on Intimidator, but it seemed like in addition to new bathrooms with the coaster, they had also redone all the walkways leading up to the coaster, and painted all the rides around Fury (this may have been done before, but it still made it look really nice). The food was also phenomenal, and if this is the new standard that CF is going to be putting out in Theme park food that is a HUGE plus.

Overall, the speed doesnt do it for me as much as air-time. I would rather ride a 100' tall Mega-Lite than this thing. I guess being the "jaded enthusiast type, who has ridden every B&M in the US" yes, i did expect more for 25 million. We rode Intimidator after this, and i thought it was a more thrilling ride. I didnt watch the POV before this, so i tried to go in with a relatively open mind (and even just a few hours beforehand had posted on FB i hoped this was more the surprise like Banshee).

I guess i would rather see more Outlaw Run's, Mega-Lites, and the type in the world. Pretty sure you could buy a Mega-Lite and have RMC redo the train wreck that sits right next to Fury for 25 Milllion.

Finally made it back to the hotel... Fury 325 is simply INSANE! It is unlike any other B&M hyper/giga I have been on (all of them in the US plus Leviathan in Canada). The airtime is near ejector, quick transitions, intense, etc... Easily a top hyper/giga for me, no question. Riding Intimidator afterward really put it into perspective... The new B&M stuff is just far better!

I never thought I would experience airtime like that on a B&M. The pacing was just fantastic... Quick, snappy elements. Excellent airtime (not just OK, but GREAT!). Completely smooth as you would expect.

Easily my new #1 hyper/giga... I had high expectations coming from my love of Leviathan, but it was above and beyond even that. We were on the second to last train of the event and it really started to warm up and was FLYING. Far more braking at the end of the ride compared to the earlier rides, it was hitting to brakes quite a bit faster.

Carowinds hit a home-run... Really. If somebody comes off Fury disappointed there is something wrong with them. It's that good.

I never thought "B&M" and "excellent airtime" could be said together! Really glad to hear a review like this and cannot wait to ride this someday. Looks like Carowinds scored big time.

Finally made it back to the hotel... Fury 325 is simply INSANE! It is unlike any other B&M hyper/giga I have been on (all of them in the US plus Leviathan in Canada). The airtime is near ejector, quick transitions, intense, etc... Easily a top hyper/giga for me, no question.

I was there today, and was the one that posted about it being a speed machine, but No airtime. I re-rode the ride 4 more times after that, including front row, back row, and in the middle. I stand by what i said. The front row is great, you can really feel the wind in your face and can totally tell it is a speed monster. The back, yes you get a lot more airtime, but it is still nothing compared to its 20' shorter cousin 5 hours to the north, and the rattling back there was BAD. The middle, well i might as well of been riding a mine train.

I'm not sure I've seen a new coaster receive so many totally contrasting reviews. I do find it interesting that the more positive reviews are coming from far less seasoned riders. Kind of justifies two things: 1. This ride really IS meant more for the "general public" (which is not a negative thing) and 2. Seasoned riders are harder to impress. (In a way, kind of a bad thing, but I can relate.)

Been interesting reading through all the vastly different reviews of the ride.

Finally made it back to the hotel... Fury 325 is simply INSANE! It is unlike any other B&M hyper/giga I have been on (all of them in the US plus Leviathan in Canada). The airtime is near ejector, quick transitions, intense, etc... Easily a top hyper/giga for me, no question.

I'm not sure I've seen a new coaster receive so many totally contrasting reviews. I do find it interesting that the more positive reviews are coming from far less seasoned riders. Kind of justifies two things: 1. This ride really IS meant more for the "general public" (which is not a negative thing) and 2. Seasoned riders are harder to impress. (In a way, kind of a bad thing, but I can relate.)

Been interesting reading through all the vastly different reviews of the ride.

I think Raging Bull is a better Hyper/Giga from B&M, but the best Hyper/Giga is still i305, and i thought Thunder Dolphin was a better ride than this!

And before anyone calls me an Intamin Fan Boy, Nemesis is in my top 10 steel... But the rest are pretty much Intamin, RMC, and Mack...

I never thought "B&M" and "excellent airtime" could be said together! Really glad to hear a review like this and cannot wait to ride this someday. Looks like Carowinds scored big time.

I really enjoyed the airtime. It is definitely floater airtime, but it much more sustained and forceful than the other B&M hypers I have ridden.

I think Raging Bull is a better Hyper/Giga from B&M, but the best Hyper/Giga is still i305, and i thought Thunder Dolphin was a better ride than this!

And before anyone calls me an Intamin Fan Boy, Nemesis is in my top 10 steel... But the rest are pretty much Intamin, RMC, and Mack...

What's sad about Raging Bull, at least to me, is that it could be great, if it weren't braked to death. Looking forward to seeing how Fury compares. I do like the looks of Carowinds' new ride.

Edited by cfc