TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Last post on TPR:

I am really sick of all the "it looks good, but the ride itself is decent at best" comments. Do you REALLY THINK engineers design roller coasters for the hell of it and not because they have a passion for it? Maybe they WANTED to try and build re-rideable rides that aren't balls to the wall intense. Just because a ride doesn't need your ludicrous standards doesn't mean it was just put together to look good. B&M stepped out of their comfort zone on this ride, and all I see when I read this thread is "wahh it's not good enough! MOAR AIRTIMEEEE" and of course you don't see this attitude because you're too blinded by the ride's shortcomings (which there are barely any). Fury 325 will be a hit with most enthusiasts. You know what, how about ALL enthusiasts, because NORMAL enthusiasts don't complain about a giga coaster.

I'm done with the idiocy.

I'm guessing we won't actually be lucky enough for this to be your last post, but a man can dream.

Oh, trust me, that was his last post!

Last post on TPR:

I am really sick of all the "it looks good, but the ride itself is decent at best" comments. Do you REALLY THINK engineers design roller coasters for the hell of it and not because they have a passion for it? Maybe they WANTED to try and build re-rideable rides that aren't balls to the wall intense. Just because a ride doesn't need your ludicrous standards doesn't mean it was just put together to look good. B&M stepped out of their comfort zone on this ride, and all I see when I read this thread is "wahh it's not good enough! MOAR AIRTIMEEEE" and of course you don't see this attitude because you're too blinded by the ride's shortcomings (which there are barely any). Fury 325 will be a hit with most enthusiasts. You know what, how about ALL enthusiasts, because NORMAL enthusiasts don't complain about a giga coaster.

I'm guessing we won't actually be lucky enough for this to be your last post, but a man can dream.

I'm buying you a beer in Japan.

Last post on TPR:

This is like the fifth time you've claimed that you're quitting. Stop being so dramatic about everything.

I'll let Derek & Eric expand on this more when they get back from the event, but here are some of their thoughts they communicated to me for Twitter:

image.jpg.2d1e7e64f1875f404c96fc71755d32f8.jpg

"It's fast and curvy"

"Fast, fun, and curvy with floater air."

"It's better than Leviathan."

"It's semi-thrilling."

"The extra track delivers more thrills and add airtime that leviathan lacks."

"Floater first drop then just lots ofcurves and a few floater airtime thrown in at the end"

"GP will love it and it's good for park to attract new visitors."

"Overall, Fury 325 will thrill the pants off day guests, but may not wow seasoned riders as much."

Anyways, for people that have rode it: I have very curious to what you think about the helix? To slow, to fast, or just right?

Love reading the reviews! Keep them coming!!

the helix had more force than what you would think. it looks slower in video than it actually is.

That's very good to hear. I guess it warmed up from the early morning POV that was posted? Every year I tell myself not to judge rides based on POV, but with this one especially it's been challenging. I guess it will be just like Gatekeeper, where some people think it's the bees knees while others think it's par for the course. So much depends on what you want to compare it to.

My excitement is picking back up for it though. Interesting to hear Derek and Eric say that it's better than Leviathan.

Last post on TPR:

And with that, TPR just got more intelligent.....or, depending on how you look at it, the "Dumbest things said on TPR" thread just got less active.

I still think Fury looks great! I've never been one to necessarily follow the "enthusiast norms" anyway (Millennium "Forceless" is still my #3 steel coaster, and I could ride that thing over and over and not grow tired of it!). I like what I like, and I sure do have a blast riding these new coasters! Some people will love certain rides, and others will feel they are "meh". My point is, who cares?? Go ride what you want to ride, throw your hands up, laugh, and have FUN!! Isn't that what this hobby should be all about anyway??

I have to add that the SPEED on this thing looks awesome.....right up my alley!

For those that have ridden Millennium Force, how would you compare?

Personally, I rank MF right about even with I-305 for completely different reasons. Can anyone chime in with a similar viewpoint?

I really hope to make it down to Carowinds to ride this in the summer. From these reviews, it sounds mostly positive. Glad to hear the additional track length comoared to Leviathan doesn't drain the speed too much by the ending.

From what B&M has been doing recently and the way this coaster is designed, I don't think its much of a surprise that it isnt balls to the wall OMFG insane the entire way. I absolutely love intense coasters (El Toro, Maverck, I-305), but a coaster does not have to be insane to be a great coaster, IMO. If all holds true, it looks like Fury could make up for the lack of sheer intensity in just pure "fun" factor. Shout out to Carowinds on this one.

For those that have ridden Millennium Force, how would you compare?

Personally, I rank MF right about even with I-305 for completely different reasons. Can anyone chime in with a similar viewpoint?

I really hope to make it down to Carowinds to ride this in the summer. From these reviews, it sounds mostly positive. Glad to hear the additional track length comoared to Leviathan doesn't drain the speed too much by the ending.

From what B&M has been doing recently and the way this coaster is designed, I don't think its much of a surprise that it isnt balls to the wall OMFG insane the entire way. I absolutely love intense coasters (El Toro, Maverck, I-305), but a coaster does not have to be insane to be a great coaster, IMO. If all holds true, it looks like Fury could make up for the lack of sheer intensity in just pure "fun" factor. Shout out to Carowinds on this one.

It is definitely better than MF, but I have it tied with i305 for my #1 spot.

Totally agree with the posts above. I don't like the sort of partisanship that happens, as if being a B&M fan is mutually exclusive with being an Intamin fan. Intensity is great but it's not the only thing I enjoy. I'm glad there are a variety of coaster experiences out there, and unlike JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, I'd *much rather* have new gigas than not. Glad to hear someone that values the intensity of I305 equally values the ride Fury gives.

From what I've heard so far, it sounds like Fury 325 is about as expected: Not the greatest ride ever, but a very good ride that will be a favorite of its target audience. I was hoping it would get a little better reception, but the ride still sounds outstanding and is definitely enough to justify a return visit to the park at some point in the future.

I haven't seen any post on this yet...but how is that weird turnaround sideways thingy right before the tunnel? That part looks intense and might provide a weird feeling maybe? I'm curious how this element is because it just looks so crazy!

Last time I was at Carowinds it was when Intimidator opened in 2010. I definitely need to make a visit to this park again!

I haven't seen any post on this yet...but how is that weird turnaround sideways thingy right before the tunnel? That part looks intense and might provide a weird feeling maybe? I'm curious how this element is because it just looks so crazy!

Last time I was at Carowinds it was when Intimidator opened in 2010. I definitely need to make a visit to this park again!

It was awesome! It evoked a unique sideways-airtime feeling, was absolutely great.

I'm definitely looking forward riding Fury325 in June!

My favourite coasters are Maverick, Sheikra and Skyrush. I also like El Toro and Millenium Force as much as I305 and Leviathan.

I don't always need a ride, where you have to "fight" with intense greyouts, sickness or brutal ejector airtime and Fury seems to be a perfect fit for many who just like to enjoy giant sized coasters with lots of speed and graceful elements.

No need to bash B+M for what they are designing....

I'm kinda surprised by all of the disappointment over Fury not being a massive airtime machine. By now we should probably expect that Giga coasters aren't airtime machines. Yes, they do have airtime, but that's not their primary focus. Millenium Force is all about speed and the overbanks, i305 is rip your face off with intensity, and Leviathan and Fury both are about swooping curves and speed. Heck, if you looked at the animatied POV's of Fury, you should have known that this ride is not a ride that's going to give you massive airtime.

^I305 has some pretty good moments of ejector air to go with the intensity, but I agree with you about Millennium Force. I like both rides, though.

Edited by cfc

Okay, we are making a dinner stop so I have a few minutes to post my thoughts on the ride and the media day.

This was my first time to the park, so I had no previous reference of what the park skyline looked like before, but I have to say with Fury 325, the park looks stunning from all over the area! As soon as you get on I-77 from the loop, Fury 325 is already visible.

Once again, since this was my first visit, I never saw the original entrance, but I was very impressed with the new entrance. Carowinds definitely achieved making a marquee entrance that will thrill and excite guests for years to come.

Now onto the new ride. I thought it was a lot of fun. The first drop will take your breath away and the speed up the 2nd hill is wonderful. At this point as you soar over the entrance plaza and out to the turnaround, the ride seems to go through the emotions a bit. It is still fast of course and there are some forces to be had, but the main purpose of this section of the ride, in my opinion, is to look nice and pretty for the front of the park. Now with that said, as soon as you drop out of the turnaround and down into the tunnel, the ride picks right back up! The drop into the tunnel takes your breath away and the first airtime hill has strong floater airtime. The ride hauls to the brake run and really seems to utilize the speed it has built up well for the finale.

Could the ride have done more with the height of the lift hill? Sure. As an enthusiast, I am a little jaded when it comes to what I expect in an extreme coaster. With that said, the ride is absolutely re-rideable and the General public is going to eat of up! Carowinds accomplished what it intended in building a marquee attraction that not only looks wonderful but is a lot of fun!

Now, for the media day itself. The park looked great and everywhere you turned you saw excited employees and special entertainment from the event. The opening presentation was well done. It was the perfect length and entertaining. After the presentation everyone lined up for that ride. Here is where my only real complaint about the day occurred. The park set up a separate line for media who wanted to get custom rider POV. The park had set up the 2nd row of two ofthe trains with a Go Pro, and The major problem here was that half of the people in line didn't know they were only waiting for one row. So not only did it take an hour plus to get to ride, but as we got go to the top we witnessed constant confusion by the media and the employees that were sorting the whole thing. The whole deal would of worked better at a separate time than the grand opening event. There was just too many people to try and satisfy all the media that wanted the Go Pro footage.

Enough about that and back to the positives...the park was kind enough to open Intimidator and the new, Slingshot for the event. This was much appreciated! And now, the food. The park showcased a lot of the new cuisine coming in 2015 and it did not disappoint. There was shrimp, oysters, duck meat, gelato, and a TON more. The food more than made up for the long wait for the rider footage.

To conclude, the park looks great, Fury is a great ride, and you should definitely check it out!

"It's semi-thrilling."

"Overall, Fury 325 will thrill the pants off day guests, but may not wow seasoned riders as much."

Are you serious?! One of the world's tallest and fastest coasters and it is just semi-awesome, and gets boring after your first visit? That is just kind of... I'm sorry, my home park is VF and I really want to ride something like this.

Okay, we are making a dinner stop so I have a few minutes to post my thoughts on the ride and the media day.

This was my first time to the park, so I had no previous reference of what the park skyline looked like before, but I have to say with Fury 325, the park looks stunning from all over the area! As soon as you get on I-77 from the loop, Fury 325 is already visible.

Once again, since this was my first visit, I never saw the original entrance, but I was very impressed with the new entrance. Carowinds definitely achieved making a marquee entrance that will thrill and excite guests for years to come.

Now onto the new ride. I thought it was a lot of fun. The first drop will take your breath away and the speed up the 2nd hill is wonderful. At this point as you soar over the entrance plaza and out to the turnaround, the ride seems to go through the emotions a bit. It is still fast of course and there are some forces to be had, but the main purpose of this section of the ride, in my opinion, is to look nice and pretty for the front of the park. Now with that said, as soon as you drop out of the turnaround and down into the tunnel, the ride picks right back up! The drop into the tunnel takes your breath away and the first airtime hill has strong floater airtime. The ride hauls to the brake run and really seems to utilize the speed it has built up well for the finale.

Could the ride have done more with the height of the lift hill? Sure. As an enthusiast, I am a little jaded when it comes to what I expect in an extreme coaster. With that said, the ride is absolutely re-rideable and the General public is going to eat of up! Carowinds accomplished what it intended in building a marquee attraction that not only looks wonderful but is a lot of fun!

Now, for the media day itself. The park looked great and everywhere you turned you saw excited employees and special entertainment from the event. The opening presentation was well done. It was the perfect length and entertaining. After the presentation everyone lined up for that ride. Here is where my only real complaint about the day occurred. The park set up a separate line for media who wanted to get custom rider POV. The park had set up the 2nd row of two ofthe trains with a Go Pro, and The major problem here was that half of the people in line didn't know they were only waiting for one row. So not only did it take an hour plus to get to ride, but as we got go to the top we witnessed constant confusion by the media and the employees that were sorting the whole thing. The whole deal would of worked better at a separate time than the grand opening event. There was just too many people to try and satisfy all the media that wanted the Go Pro footage.

Enough about that and back to the positives...the park was kind enough to open Intimidator and the new, Slingshot for the event. This was much appreciated! And now, the food. The park showcased a lot of the new cuisine coming in 2015 and it did not disappoint. There was shrimp, oysters, duck meat, gelato, and a TON more. The food more than made up for the long wait for the rider footage.

To conclude, the park looks great, Fury is a great ride, and you should definitely check it out!

Carowinds' old entrance looked like a plantation house, and while it was very nice, it was a bit cramped (not to mention dated). I'm glad they freshened it up. Planning to see it for myself in April. Carowinds is a very nice park, and I haven't been there since Intimidator opened.