TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I've been interested in following this since it was announced. I thought it would be fun to visit Carowinds for my first time ever this year but I thought it probably wouldn't happen because I'm doing trips to SFMM and Holiday World/Cedar Point this summer. But seeing the videos of this testing are making me really want to get to Charlotte somehow this summer.

i am in Cincinnati and the local news here is covering Fury325. i think this ride is going to bring in more crowds than some realize.

Here in Fargo, North Dakota, one of the local radio stations posted about it on their Facebook page. Like you said, Fury is going to be bringing in people from all over the U.S. (Including myself )

It goes a bit slower after the airtime hill (maybe due to the trim brake), but overall it definitely looks faster in the POV than in the animation. Hopefully they'll eventually release a smoother mounted POV.

I really don't think the trim cuts off as much speed as you think. The trim may not have even been activated on the test run. The helix comes directly after the airtime hill-- helices shave off a lot more speed than hills, combined with the fact that this helix is absolutely massive.

Is it possible that the trim is there to act like a sensor? Perhaps once the train passes the trim the next train can be dispatched without E-stopping the train on the lift? The trim looks like it didn't do much, and is probably only there if the ride is really hauling. I think Fury 325 is gonna be a huge hit for Carowinds.

I'm assuming you're talking about this one...

[attachment=0]fury_trim.jpg[/attachment]

All I can say is that I've never been on a B&M that has one of these trims where you couldn't feel it. Leviathan has TWO of these in fact...

[attachment=1]leviathan_trim1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]leviathan_trim2.jpg[/attachment]

And you can most certainly feel each one. That's not to say it's going to cut down any enjoyment of the ride, and if anything, be happy there is only ONE of them on this coaster!

It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense.

Oh, what a load of bullshit. You say that like it's a "bad" thing. The GP eats that ride up like there is no tomorrow! Just go read the comments on our YouTube video. I've been at the park when the ride breaks down and people freak the hell out. And remember when the ride was down for a couple of months a few summers ago? KD's Facebook page was on FIRE with people wanting to know when it was back open. So don't try and imply that there is anything wrong with I305 because it kicks people A$$ across the state of Virginia.

Way to be a total dick

People think queue time = popularity and completely ignore capacity. It's an epidemic among enthusiasts. So if a ride like I305 that chews through the line has a short wait people assume it's "not popular with the gp" and if a ride like Volcano which has terrible capacity has a huge line people assume it must be the most popular ride ever.

Robb is totally right. i305 is really popular.

It goes a bit slower after the airtime hill (maybe due to the trim brake), but overall it definitely looks faster in the POV than in the animation. Hopefully they'll eventually release a smoother mounted POV.

I really don't think the trim cuts off as much speed as you think. The trim may not have even been activated on the test run. The helix comes directly after the airtime hill-- helices shave off a lot more speed than hills, combined with the fact that this helix is absolutely massive.

Is it possible that the trim is there to act like a sensor? Perhaps once the train passes the trim the next train can be dispatched without E-stopping the train on the lift? The trim looks like it didn't do much, and is probably only there if the ride is really hauling. I think Fury 325 is gonna be a huge hit for Carowinds.

I'm assuming you're talking about this one...

[attachment=0]fury_trim.jpg[/attachment]

All I can say is that I've never been on a B&M that has one of these trims where you couldn't feel it. Leviathan has TWO of these in fact...

[attachment=1]leviathan_trim1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]leviathan_trim2.jpg[/attachment]

And you can most certainly feel each one. That's not to say it's going to cut down any enjoyment of the ride, and if anything, be happy there is only ONE of them on this coaster!

It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense.

Oh, what a load of bullshit. You say that like it's a "bad" thing. The GP eats that ride up like there is no tomorrow! Just go read the comments on our YouTube video. I've been at the park when the ride breaks down and people freak the hell out. And remember when the ride was down for a couple of months a few summers ago? KD's Facebook page was on FIRE with people wanting to know when it was back open. So don't try and imply that there is anything wrong with I305 because it kicks people A$$ across the state of Virginia.

Way to be a total dick

People think queue time = popularity and completely ignore capacity. It's an epidemic among enthusiasts. So if a ride like I305 that chews through the line has a short wait people assume it's "not popular with the gp" and if a ride like Volcano which has terrible capacity has a huge line people assume it must be the most popular ride ever.

Robb is totally right. i305 is really popular.

I definitely misspoke when I said "It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense." I think my sentiment makes more sense in terms of coaster polls. Fury 325 is probably going to be a golden child for the golden ticket awards, and less so for Mitch Hawkers poll. The opposite might stay true for i305? I hope i305 at least breaks top 10 this year, the ride is amazing. The coaster polls debate is a can of worms that I don't want to open though.

Off season is almost over, and then the speculation can end! I think we all might be going a little stir crazy.

I definitely misspoke when I said "It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense." I think my sentiment makes more sense in terms of coaster polls. Fury 325 is probably going to be a golden child for the golden ticket awards, and less so for Mitch Hawkers poll. The opposite might stay true for i305? I hope i305 at least breaks top 10 this year, the ride is amazing. The coaster polls debate is a can of worms that I don't want to open though.

Off season is almost over, and then the speculation can end! I think we all might be going a little stir crazy.

Unless I305 relocates to Ohio, it's not gonna crack the top 10 in the GTAs.

We all know which of those two coaster polls is more reliable, anyway.

Unless I305 relocates to Ohio, it's not gonna crack the top 10 in the GTAs.

We all know which of those two coaster polls is more reliable, anyway.

Enjoy what you think is good, not what some awards tells you is good. Like i305 or Fury? Awesome. Don't like i305 or Fury? Awesome.

I'll be at Carowinds opening weekend and I am excited to ride Leviathan 2.0

I've been planning a trip to Carowinds this summer but have run into a bit of a conundrum. I and three other friends have been doing an annual theme park road trip for a few years now, but one of the guys has moved to California. He doesn't really have enough for airfare, and we all barely have enough to pay for ourselves. It's looking like we won't be able to make it to Carowinds this year I've thrown together a crowdfunding thing if anybody wants to chip in. I know it's a stretch, but if you contribute you'll get park-related goodies. We'll get you a souvenir, or I'll write you a song.

https://funds.gofundme.com/dashboard/carowinds2015

Sorry buddy, gotta pay for my own trip before giving to your buddy. He's got more than enough time to start putting some money away for a trip though... Just cut out the daily orange mocha frappuccinos

AGH!! The off-season is the worst when there's only two weeks left to go. This month is going to go so slow.....

At least be glad you only have two weeks left. My off-season doesn't end for two whole months.

Anyway, the progress on the new park entrance is looking great.

camera2.thumb.jpg.657e9b8509ac65aad9fe120ebec23f32.jpg