TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

While waiting for El-Toro at SFGAdv one morning they did morning test runs with the water dummies. To empty them, they opened all the "heads" and sent the trains around a few times. Water was being sprayed everywhere, it was pretty funny as people were dodging all the water coming down.

While waiting for El-Toro at SFGAdv one morning they did morning test runs with the water dummies. To empty them, they opened all the "heads" and sent the trains around a few times. Water was being sprayed everywhere, it was pretty funny as people were dodging all the water coming down.

Lol yeah that was the easiest way to empty the dummies. Although most of the time last year, we would empty the dummies by hand on the holding brake which was always a lot of fun (not).

Thinking of making the trip for passholder preview night on the 27th, all day on the 28th, and then the morning of the 29th. I assume it'll be crowded, with Fury 325 significantly so. But what order of magnitude of crowdedness should I expect? I figure most of the crowds will be flocking to Fury 325, leaving the other rides less crowded (particularly on the 27th), but I'm budgeting for the FLP for Saturday (which I figure I need to buy soon so it doesn't sell out) so I can get more than just a ride or two in. Thoughts?

Thinking of making the trip for passholder preview night on the 27th, all day on the 28th, and then the morning of the 29th. I assume it'll be crowded, with Fury 325 significantly so. But what order of magnitude of crowdedness should I expect? I figure most of the crowds will be flocking to Fury 325, leaving the other rides less crowded (particularly on the 27th), but I'm budgeting for the FLP for Saturday (which I figure I need to buy soon so it doesn't sell out) so I can get more than just a ride or two in. Thoughts?

Line for Fury will be 20-40 minutes, it won't even approach an hour. Intimidator never gets above 30 minutes either. Nighthawk is one of those rides you MUST ride early in the day as lines approach 1-2 hours at midday. The rest are fairly tame lines as well, as Carowinds is never really THAT crowded. Afterburn is a stud though, make sure you don't forget it.

Line for Fury will be 20-40 minutes, it won't even approach an hour. Intimidator never gets above 30 minutes either. Nighthawk is one of those rides you MUST ride early in the day as lines approach 1-2 hours at midday. The rest are fairly tame lines as well, as Carowinds is never really THAT crowded. Afterburn is a stud though, make sure you don't forget it.

From the amount of national buzz Fury's getting, I was expecting something more like:

Do you not think that'll be the case?

i was there for that. We were on the third train out to the public. we got there at about 4:30 am though. we rode Diamondback. walked on the beast and saw the line coming towards us laughed. checked a couple more lines then left. unless you plan on having fast lane or showing up way early i would stay far far away that day. that little park will be smashed for the opening of that.

I can't stress this enough, THE LINES WILL NOT GET LONG!!!!! Stop confusing Carowinds with KI and CP. The only people that Fury 325 will bring more of is enthusiasts. The line will not approach more than an hour!

I think everyone's hopes for short opening day lines for Fury 325 are getting a little too high. This ride is getting huge amounts of local and national attention, so a 1-2 hour wait on opening day is not out of the question. It might have 20-40 minute wait times later in the season, but I'd expect people to flock to this ride once it opens.

Yea, all sorts of random people I know who aren't big coaster / park people are sharing the POV of Fury on social media. My girlfriend's family (who are not AT ALL coaster buffs) were talking about this ride even when it was nothing more than a large patch of cleared land. It's. Getting. Buzz.

Also, keep in mind that this is being packaged as a major revamp of the park as well, not just a coaster addition. The park will be pretty packed from people returning after years of not visiting to check out the upgrades, too.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, right?

Yea, all sorts of random people I know who aren't big coaster / park people are sharing the POV of Fury on social media. My girlfriend's family (who are not AT ALL coaster buffs) were talking about this ride even when it was nothing more than a large patch of cleared land. It's. Getting. Buzz.

Also, keep in mind that this is being packaged as a major revamp of the park as well, not just a coaster addition. The park will be pretty packed from people returning after years of not visiting to check out the upgrades, too.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, right?

I also imagine the passholder preview night is going to entice a lot of a) enthusiasts to show up who may not have otherwise made the trip this weekend (like I'm probably going to do) and/or b) GP to buy a season pass so they can be one of the first to ride Fury. And then I suspect a lot of those people may come back on Saturday as well for the official opening day.

My gut says that Fury will land in the 2ish hour wait range on Saturday. How long were the waits for i305 and Leviathan on their opening days?

I think everyone's hopes for short opening day lines for Fury 325 are getting a little too high. This ride is getting huge amounts of local and national attention, so a 1-2 hour wait on opening day is not out of the question. It might have 20-40 minute wait times later in the season, but I'd expect people to flock to this ride once it opens.

It's not because I want short lines, it's because based off of recent openings, the park won't be incredibly crowded. I realize more people than usual will visit throughout the season, but I doubt that everyone in the world will go out of their way to go to opening day.

Carowinds is never that crowded. An hour is the most it could be.

Maggiekat and I are flying in from Vegas for just about the same timeframe

I'm also likely making a trip to the park this year. Carowinds was never really on my radar, either.

I have the platinum pass, might as well use it. This coaster looks pretty incredible.

I have been to Carowinds back in the 70's and 80's when the avg wait was 2.5 hrs. It was very crowded. It is not as crowded today like it was then but I can see it headed that way again with the correct management and rides. I think with Cedar Fair and Mike they are headed in the right direction. I think the park when owned by Paramount headed the park in the wrong direction. Cedar Fair has a much better understanding of the Carolinas.