TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

There are a few cool looking twists on this ride. I don't think anyone's going to confuse it with Maverick any time soon but I almost feel like B&M might have learned a thing or two for Intamin with this ride. I'm sure it won't be overly snappy but it's progress.

In any case this ride looks like a ton of fun.

Since the animated POV came out, I've been looking forward to ONE thing most of all...

THAT S-BEND! And it looks pretty darn good in the real POV, surprisingly snappy looking for a new B&M, and thats really got me pumped! After riding Banshee this year, which was surprisingly intense for a new B&M (but not nearly as intense as some people say), I'm really expecting this coaster to be excellent. NOT an I305/Skyrush "extreme" coaster with crazy forces/airtime, but just an insanely fun ride like Millennium Force, where everyone is laughing and cheering on the brakerun.

I'm genuinely very excited for my first ride on it

My thoughts, the helix is a tad slow, but it's probably slow in comparison to just how fast the first half is. The head choppers make up for it. The other thing is that the ride going under the path after the turnaround is going to fun. It will show just how fast the ride is moving.

It goes a bit slower after the airtime hill (maybe due to the trim brake), but overall it definitely looks faster in the POV than in the animation. Hopefully they'll eventually release a smoother mounted POV.

I really don't think the trim cuts off as much speed as you think. The trim may not have even been activated on the test run. The helix comes directly after the airtime hill-- helices shave off a lot more speed than hills, combined with the fact that this helix is absolutely massive.

Is it possible that the trim is there to act like a sensor? Perhaps once the train passes the trim the next train can be dispatched without E-stopping the train on the lift? The trim looks like it didn't do much, and is probably only there if the ride is really hauling. I think Fury 325 is gonna be a huge hit for Carowinds. It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense.

It goes a bit slower after the airtime hill (maybe due to the trim brake), but overall it definitely looks faster in the POV than in the animation. Hopefully they'll eventually release a smoother mounted POV.

I really don't think the trim cuts off as much speed as you think. The trim may not have even been activated on the test run. The helix comes directly after the airtime hill-- helices shave off a lot more speed than hills, combined with the fact that this helix is absolutely massive.

Is it possible that the trim is there to act like a sensor? Perhaps once the train passes the trim the next train can be dispatched without E-stopping the train on the lift? The trim looks like it didn't do much, and is probably only there if the ride is really hauling. I think Fury 325 is gonna be a huge hit for Carowinds. It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense.

I'm going to assume a train can be dispatched as soon as the previous train clears the lift hill just like any other B&M. I doubt the trim was turned on for the first test run. Most rides run trim less on their first test runs. Either way I don't think the trim will greatly impact the ride. I really hope I can ride this this summer!!

After pretty much four years in a row going to Kings Dominion, me and my mother would like to try Carowinds sometime in June. I'm wondering if you guys had any tips on when is the right time to go to Carowinds, what to ride first, etc.

Is it possible that the trim is there to act like a sensor? Perhaps once the train passes the trim the next train can be dispatched without E-stopping the train on the lift? The trim looks like it didn't do much, and is probably only there if the ride is really hauling. I think Fury 325 is gonna be a huge hit for Carowinds.

I'm assuming you're talking about this one...

fury_trim.jpg.b730d3d18cd3bccbb2d56fc94feff112.jpg

All I can say is that I've never been on a B&M that has one of these trims where you couldn't feel it. Leviathan has TWO of these in fact...

leviathan_trim1.thumb.jpg.3dc7348016be47ea603eec05e9780437.jpg

leviathan_trim2.thumb.jpg.5ef9143107d926a6a94b655843c13745.jpg

And you can most certainly feel each one. That's not to say it's going to cut down any enjoyment of the ride, and if anything, be happy there is only ONE of them on this coaster!

It's important to remember that while enthusiasts love i305, the general public find it incredibly intense.

Oh, what a load of bullshit. You say that like it's a "bad" thing. The GP eats that ride up like there is no tomorrow! Just go read the comments on our YouTube video. I've been at the park when the ride breaks down and people freak the hell out. And remember when the ride was down for a couple of months a few summers ago? KD's Facebook page was on FIRE with people wanting to know when it was back open. So don't try and imply that there is anything wrong with I305 because it kicks people ass across the state of Virginia.

Edited by robbalvey

So don't try and imply that there is anything wrong with I305 because it kicks people A$$ across the state of Virginia.

All hail Robb.

123-clapping-hands-sign.png.4c0085d4bb843761df5bcf6b51919e1e.png

5 years later, and Intimidator 305 is still the talk of the state, and the public knows and loves the fact that it is "OMG it's 100 ft exactly taller than Griffon!". It's definitely one of the best Cedar Fair investments since they bought Paramount. KD can now compete on the national level and should be bringing in something good for 2016!

On the topic of Fury, the ride looks like it'll be one of my favorite B&M's out there. I'm glad that I live 3 hours away from 305 and 3 hours away from 325. Hopefully, Fury brings some unexpected forces. I can't wait to respectfully compare the two!

That POV. Wow. I've been comparing this ride directly to Millenium Force since it was announced...it looks like this one has some more floater airtime and stronger hills and Millennium really just has the better setting and aesthetic layout. I think this could be one of the most GP-Pleasing, and enthusiast pleasing rides ever built. I don't think anyone will have this one outside of their personal top 20 after they ride it. It's definitely got everything legged-up on Leviathan.

I can't wait to see it with all the landscaping finished, or hopefully in person this summer.

Okay, that POV just reinforces my thoughts that this will be the best non-RMC coaster of 2015. I've got a feeling most are going to regard this as the best B&M Hyper, and possibly even the best North American B&M. While I doubt it will happen in 2015, between Fury 325, Dollywood (which I love but haven't visited since 2010), and Six Flags Over Georgia (which I've never visited), I think a Deep South trip might be at the top of my list for my next theme park trip.

It's interesting to compare the reception Fury 325 seems to be getting with the reception Leviathan got. A lot of people thought Leviathan would be good but not great when testing videos were released, yet I know very few enthusiasts who have ridden it and don't have the ride in at least their top 25. Based on the early testing videos, Fury 325 is getting a lot of positive reception from enthusiasts. Fortunately, I think this one will live up to the hype and not give an underwhelming ride.

It's probably worth noting that while the helix may seem slow, the top speed of this ride is 90+ mph. It's probably doing at least 50mph through that helix, so it will feel quite a bit faster when you actually ride it.

So don't try and imply that there is anything wrong with I305 because it kicks people A$$ across the state of Virginia.

Ouch my first tpr smack down. Wasn't meaning to imply anything is wrong with i305. The coaster is beautifully engineered chaos unleashed that will make you black out. My #1 steel. I would ride it all day if I could. After visiting kd with friends a few times however I noticed that my friends loved i305, but could only handle so much. Half of them quit after 2-3 rides. Intamin certainly kbows how to make rides that will make you brag about getting your ass kicked. I've seen some of my friends respond to coasters like el toro, skyrush, and i305 as "that was so intense and good but I can't ride again." I've heard many of my non enthusiast friends say they prefer nitro over el toro cause it's so fun. Maybe my friends are weak?

To me It seems like B&m makes coasters that are more re rideable to the average person because they are "super fun" (and often lacking in crazy forces.) In this vain I think that Fury will have mass appeal to the general public because it is gigantic and scary looking, but ultimately Will give a fun, fast, twisty and floaty ride, opposed to the most intense ride of your life. In essence it might not turn as many people off because it caused them to black out, or was too violent.

^ I too have experienced similar situations. But, I have also been the one to not re-ride something as much as my non-enthusiast friends do because its too intense for me to handle. Perfect example is Mr. Freeze at SFStL. I do not like it as Reverse Blast. The forces really freak me out.

There are a few cool looking twists on this ride. I don't think anyone's going to confuse it with Maverick any time soon but I almost feel like B&M might have learned a thing or two for Intamin with this ride. I'm sure it won't be overly snappy but it's progress.

In any case this ride looks like a ton of fun.

That was the feeling I got too. Hopefully this turns out well so that they have more confidence to maybe start trying more "aggressive" elements.

Anyway, looks really fun. The only giga I've been on was MF and I feel this will be a better ride. Similar length and height but with apparently better airtime moments and more interesting manoeuvres. Of course we'll have to wait to be sure.

Ouch my first tpr smack down. Wasn't meaning to imply anything is wrong with i305. The coaster is beautifully engineered chaos unleashed that will make you black out. My #1 steel. I would ride it all day if I could. After visiting kd with friends a few times however I noticed that my friends loved i305, but could only handle so much. Half of them quit after 2-3 rides. Intamin certainly kbows how to make rides that will make you brag about getting your A$$ kicked. I've seen some of my friends respond to coasters like el toro, skyrush, and i305 as "that was so intense and good but I can't ride again." I've heard many of my non enthusiast friends say they prefer nitro over el toro cause it's so fun. Maybe my friends are weak?

It's quite possible they are just pussies. You need better friends. It's also not a "bad" thing when you have a ride so intense you need a break. It's like needing a cigarette after amazing sex. One day you'll understand.

Edited by robbalvey

Robb,

Perhaps you are only talking about the speed coasters, but Banshee has a magnetic trim and as far as I know, never used. At least the 50+ times or so I rode it throughout the year, I never felt anything.

Thankfully when I was up at CW, it was a high of 48F or so and all the trims on Leviathan were off. Never felt any of them, at least. I have no doubt they are on though in normal temps, though.

I personally can't wait for Fury as Leviathan is one of my top coasters. Fury looks like a Leviathan "new and improved", so I am excited. I am hoping that trim is closer to "off" for Fury, but I wouldn't count on it. I guess we will find out in just a few weeks!

Robb,

Perhaps you are only talking about the speed coasters, but Banshee has a magnetic trim and as far as I know, never used. At least the 50+ times or so I rode it throughout the year, I never felt anything.

Thankfully when I was up at CW, it was a high of 48F or so and all the trims on Leviathan were off. Never felt any of them, at least. I have no doubt they are on though in normal temps, though.

I personally can't wait for Fury as Leviathan is one of my top coasters. Fury looks like a Leviathan "new and improved", so I am excited. I am hoping that trim is closer to "off" for Fury, but I wouldn't count on it. I guess we will find out in just a few weeks!

I'd have to disagree with that statement, I got 39 rides on Banshee last year and felt that magnetic trim every time. It's very VERY VERY slight, but its placement going downhill helps hide the that it's there. These new magnetic trims on B&M coasters just aren't as obvious since they don't make any sound and are incredibly smooth.

QFT. My ex-fiance got her doctorate at University of Maryland, so we would make an annual tripdown to KD with her friends. I was the only coaster geek in the bunch, but every last one of them would keep re-riding I305 with me because it's such an incredible experience. My ex ended up becoming a professor at VCU in Richmond. I didn't follow her and we ended it for a variety of reasons, but in all my "pro/con" lists for moving to Richmond, I305 was one of the very few things in the pro list.

All I can say is that I've never been on a B&M that has one of these trims where you couldn't feel it...

Ditto. I've been on far fewer than Robb for sure, but each one, to me, was noticeable. That's not to say it's going to ruin the ride - I definitely wish I got sent to SC for work this year instead of last year, when all of this was just big mounts of dirt when I visited. You know, to check out the new entrance and all.

Ouch my first tpr smack down. Wasn't meaning to imply anything is wrong with i305. The coaster is beautifully engineered chaos unleashed that will make you black out. My #1 steel. I would ride it all day if I could. After visiting kd with friends a few times however I noticed that my friends loved i305, but could only handle so much. Half of them quit after 2-3 rides. Intamin certainly kbows how to make rides that will make you brag about getting your A$$ kicked. I've seen some of my friends respond to coasters like el toro, skyrush, and i305 as "that was so intense and good but I can't ride again." I've heard many of my non enthusiast friends say they prefer nitro over el toro cause it's so fun. Maybe my friends are weak?

To me It seems like B&m makes coasters that are more re rideable to the average person because they are "super fun" (and often lacking in crazy forces.) In this vain I think that Fury will have mass appeal to the general public because it is gigantic and scary looking, but ultimately Will give a fun, fast, twisty and floaty ride, opposed to the most intense ride of your life. In essence it might not turn as many people off because it caused them to black out, or was too violent.

Last year during haunt... the park was empty and we went straight for I305... didn't have to leave my seat... however the staff said that we could only ride twice in a row MAX. They said we are required to take a break and at least walk around and re-enter the queue. This was the first year I have heard such so I went to their guest relations and spoke about this ruling.... and they backed up the staff stating that due to the rides intensity and for safety reasons they limit the amount of back to back re-rides. I get it though....

So what did I do... I walked my a$$ down the exit and got back in line... of course!

but I get it... that on Fury 325... I wouldn't have to worry about such. Personally I don't think that someone should lower a rides rating because it is so damn good that you have to take a break... like rob said... and as a man... sometimes the sex is so damn good you need to a break before the 3rd go! lol and likewise... sometimes a coaster has the same affect!

I'd have to disagree with that statement, I got 39 rides on Banshee last year and felt that magnetic trim every time. It's very VERY VERY slight, but its placement going downhill helps hide the that it's there. These new magnetic trims on B&M coasters just aren't as obvious since they don't make any sound and are incredibly smooth.

Interesting... I stand corrected I guess! I could not for the life of me ever feel any sort of deceleration when riding throughout the year (Media Day, mid-season and fall). None of my friends who rode it could feel anything as well. Your actually the first person I have read on any forums that think the trim was on... Perhaps I just don't pay enough attention to the forums like I used to!