TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^I'm excited for this ride and all and I never like to judge rides before they open but this ride reminds me in no way, shape or form of Maverick. I expect Fury 325 to be about speed with a nice flowing course and some moments of floater air thrown in. Maverick is all about insanely quick transitions, sudden changes of direction and ridiculous ejector airtime. Fury 325 looks great but I don't think a Maverick style ride is what they're going for here. If you're comparing this to Maverick I think you're setting yourself up for extreme disappointment.

Dont know if anyone noticed that they did LED testing back on the Dec 16th. Carowinds' GM Mike Fehnel posted a pic on his twitter page. I drive pass on my way home every night and saw it, but I thought my eyes were just tripping from a person who had bright HIDs in my mirror lol. I wonder if theyre taking the approach as of Banshee with LEDs through out the ride at different points or just the lift supports. I'm more interested to see if there will be some massive lighting package over the 2 paths that the coaster goes over that enter the new entrance plaza.

B5BCTPqCAAAMZk-.jpg:large

Am I the only sitting here thinking how AMAZING it would have been if they turned that 91 degree angle into an inversion right before you enter the tunnel. Now that would really put Fury325 as the "#1 Coaster of 2015!" "TALLEST GIGA COASTER WITH INVERSION!"

Ow.

Wouldn't the G's be too high for that?

Then again, this is a B&M

Am I the only sitting here thinking how AMAZING it would have been if they turned that 91 degree angle into an inversion right before you enter the tunnel. Now that would really put Fury325 as the "#1 Coaster of 2015!" "TALLEST GIGA COASTER WITH INVERSION!"

Ow.

Wouldn't the G's be too high for that?

Then again, this is a B&M

Yeah you right. Going into an inversion 95mph might not be a good idea. Lol.

There's nothing prohibiting high speed inversions. This ride doesn't invert as a design decision.

You know, I have always wondered why. Why are designers staying away from inversions, or even a single inversion, on hyper/giga coasters? Designing a ride 325 feet tall with plenty of inversion sounds like tons of fun (and can be equally safe)!

I always thought the 91 degree turn would have been amazing if they had it roll at the top, it still starts the same way in the climbing turn, but at it levels out, it rolls inverted, and continues down into the tunnel as the second half of a zero g roll.

Sorta like X-Flight's turn/zero g after the Immelmann...

There's nothing prohibiting high speed inversions. This ride doesn't invert as a design decision.

You know, I have always wondered why. Why are designers staying away from inversions, or even a single inversion, on hyper/giga coasters? Designing a ride 325 feet tall with plenty of inversion sounds like tons of fun (and can be equally safe)!

I know, right? I have been dreaming of a looping hyper/giga (or even strata) coaster for a long time but it almost feels like there is a law that says: "once you go above 200 ft you can't have inversions". Yes, I know, there are the dive coasters and the S&S 4d ones but the first barely go over 200 ft and only have one inversion and the second ones, well, they're a special case. I have always imagined a B&M floorless, sitting or inverted coaster scaled up to a hyper or giga with a colossal loop after the drop. I suggested this question for the 2012 IAAPA B&M interview when Robb allowed us to ask questions to the manufactures and this one got selected. Walter Bolliger's answer was: "I do not want to answer that question.". At the time I thought that could mean a ride like that would be coming in the future but unless there is something for 2016 that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's because hyper/giga coasters cost ridiculous amour of money, and when investing that much you want as many as possible to go on the ride. Inversions will always put people of from going on the ride.

Some interesting spots in the video to me... any others for you?

0:35 a better overhead of the tunnel progress

0:40 seems like only about 9 pcs of track left in the parking area... (lots of supports). hope we get more soon.

0:43 great view of the track twists in the barrel turn

1:05 I'd dare to stand up there! (I'd even do it untethered). The yellow people basket has a full load. Christmas tree is gone.

1:11 cross supports are still there

1:13 time to look down that 320' 81 degree drop!!!

1:21 end

It's because hyper/giga coasters cost ridiculous amour of money, and when investing that much you want as many as possible to go on the ride. Inversions will always put people of from going on the ride.

I would be honestly curious as to what the results of a survey asking this question would be like... I've always wondered what elements people found most intimidating to the GP...

^I guess it depends. When I went with some friends to portaventura this year the number of people riding each coaster would decrease as the height of the ride went up. We were 11 and we all went on stampida, 9 rode furius baco, then 7 rode dragon khan and only 5 tried shambhala (even though I told them that those who had already ridden the other two big coasters would have no problem with a hyper like that).