TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

So, is Fury 325 supposed to be ready by Opening Day? If so, then they've got quite a bit of work to do in the next 3.5 months. I know they don't really have to battle severe winter weather down there, but still...

So, is Fury 325 supposed to be ready by Opening Day? If so, then they've got quite a bit of work to do in the next 3.5 months. I know they don't really have to battle severe winter weather down there, but still...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/04/5361352/carowinds-tops-off-new-fury-325.html#.VIhby3tix8E

Yes it is!

Leviathan completed it's first drop November 25th. Both coasters seem to be following the same construction scheme, start with the station and brakes, and then do the lift and first turn. Leviathan opened 5/6/2012. So Fury might not make opening day, but it doesn't seem to be on a six flags schedule.

Leviathan completed it's first drop November 25th. Both coasters seem to be following the same construction scheme, start with the station and brakes, and then do the lift and first turn. Leviathan opened 5/6/2012. So Fury might not make opening day, but it doesn't seem to be on a six flags schedule.

Well, Leviathan's track was completed on February, 7th. The remaining work like testing, electronics was done in about few weeks after that completition date. So again, Fury is supposed to be open on March, 28th, depending on weather, according to Mike Fehnel.

Well, Leviathan's track was completed on February, 7th. The remaining work like testing, electronics was done in about few weeks after that completition date. So again, Fury is supposed to be open on March, 28th, depending on weather, according to Mike Fehnel.

Well in that case, it looks like track wise, Fury should finish by early Feb. Now that the drop is finished, and the opening turn is well under way, there are only a few more spots needing tall track. I reckon the low parts of the ride should spring up quite quickly. I have my fingers crossed that this beast will be open for the opening day, or shortly there after.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418242163.341840.jpg.6207bbd991747a694bafe6d079c5640d.jpg

https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Sling-Shot

Carowinds has sent us a press release confirming the addition of SlingShot for 2015!

As Carowinds construction crews build the world's tallest and fastest giga coaster, Fury 325, the park announced a second new ride Wednesday called the SlingShot. It will also debut in the Spring of 2015.

A pair of cables will catapult the two-person capsule nearly 300-feet into the air – nearly as high as the Statue of Liberty – at speeds up to 60 mph. After some brief weightlessness, riders will zoom back toward the ground, often rotating head-over-heels and bouncing up and down until they come to rest at the launch point.

The ride will be an additional charge attraction; costs are being determined. SlingShot marks the second new ride at Carowinds for 2015.

"Carowinds will be a destination for thrill-seekers," says Mike Fehnel, Carowinds' vice president and general manager. "We'll have two of the 10 tallest rollercoasters in North America, a total of 14 roller coasters – which is something that only three parks worldwide can top – and now we'll have two new ways for riders to scream with joy at roughly 300 feet in the air."

Like Fury 325, the SlingShot will be visible from uptown Charlotte, renewing the park's skyline along Interstate 77 and serving as a symbol of changes to come. The new rides are part of a planned $50 million multiyear investment plan to bring new life to founder Pat Hall's original vision for Carowinds. The park is being revamped from top to bottom to celebrate Carolina culture, including new rides, attractions and food from different regions.

image.thumb.jpg.87e7d394b8fb38c85e1473bd20551ce4.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.94bf363eada946c8ea8fd0f05bfc0ea8.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Wow, that first turn looks really compact compared to the huge drop. This thing should fly.

Based on the lift/turn height difference on this and leviathan, it should go through that bit slightly slower than leviathan's overbank (but then they're also shaped slightly differently)

Even though I know that curve is large, it looks very small with that giant lift hill right next to it.

The turn went up a lot quicker than I was expecting, with the rest of the track being so close to the ground (with a couple exceptions) the rest of the construction should fly by.

^Given the height and wind, I think the amount of time spent on the lift sounds about right. I know Leviathan's lift took a bit and that's around the same height, give or take 20 feet.

Looking at that picture just doesn't do it justice when comprehending the size of Fury. I know that an average conex box is around 36-40 feet in length, 8-9 feet tall. The one in the middle of that picture looks tiny in comparison to Fury. B&M have really stepped up their construction game!