TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Its weird the way the spine on the first drop continues all the way to the ground.

I thought that too, I really like the way it looks. It's a lot more obvious than the one on Leviathan because of the bright yellow bottom.

That drop looks amazing.

Its weird the way the spine on the first drop continues all the way to the ground.

I thought that too, I really like the way it looks. It's a lot more obvious than the one on Leviathan because of the bright yellow bottom.

That drop looks amazing.

Yeah, does look weird, but I'm pretty sure it's for the lift chain return.

It's for structural support and it's probably what allows the ride to be so light on supports compared to older B&M rides.

Here's what I mean... this is the bottom of Leviathan's lift. The ground bears the weight of the ride... not the supports which is way more efficient.

And the drop is the same way...

Now compare that to Nitro which needs a lot more support because the supports bear the direct weight of the ride a lot more than the ground does since the supports are the only thing contacting the ground, never the "spine" of the ride.

I would imagine having less supports saves money and time on construction, so I would expect B&M to continue building rides like this in the future as it's a lot more efficient.

Hard to tell. It's kinda rainy and icky today in the area. It's gonna be icky the whole week it looks like.

The last pieces all need to be installed at once cause they support each other. Who knows if they are gonna wait for good weather.

I expect we might see them all assembled at once and then raised into place?

Hard to tell. It's kinda rainy and icky today in the area. It's gonna be icky the whole week it looks like.

The last pieces all need to be installed at once cause they support each other. Who knows if they are gonna wait for good weather.

I expect we might see them all assembled at once and then raised into place?

The hardest part is that it's going to take a long time to install the last lift pieces. Leviathan took over 12 hours (I remember Wonderland saying they started at 6am and finished at 8pm).

So they'll probably wait till there are "reliable" conditions for the entire day....because once the first of the four are installed, there is no going back....they have to keep going, no matter how long it takes!

Consider me late to the party considering I only catch wind of the coaster through twitter, but... wow, this thing is huge.

Also, after seeing the timelapse, I finally understand why they can't work at a faster pace like Holiday World. Much like what LarryGator said, HW had to put up most of the ride before the harsher parts of winter sets in. But Fury also has to deal with inclement weather and strong winds. Thunderbird is mostly forested, so not much wind is batting against it and the construction crew, while Fury is several hundred feet above and away from any tree lines. Plus, Thunderbird doesn't require lifting large chunks far off of the ground.

According to Mike, its going to be topped off tomorrow:

The hardest part is that it's going to take a long time to install the last lift pieces. Leviathan took over 12 hours (I remember Wonderland saying they started at 6am and finished at 8pm).

Looks like they getting everything staged and ready for tomorrow now. If everything is planned out today, I could think we could see it topped off before noon.

According to Mike, its going to be topped off tomorrow:

Looks like they getting everything staged and ready for tomorrow now. If everything is planned out today, I could think we could see it topped off before noon.

Looks like their going to be lifting one piece at a time (hence the 3 cranes)....so it could take a while....depending on what time they start at.

....because once the first of the four are installed, there is no going back....they have to keep going, no matter how long it takes!

There are only three pieces remaining, two of which are already assembled together. So at least the two will be lifted together...

Looks like their going to be lifting one piece at a time (hence the 3 cranes)....so it could take a while....depending on what time they start at.

nope.. two already connected... and at least one crane will be lifting the gondola carrying the mechanics to attach the track.

Like Intimidator 305 with its 2 supports. I think that's exactly what they are trying to do, make it look more intimidating. It worked with Intamin, why not try to replicate it? Also, less 200+ foot supports means it won't cost add much. Seems like a "win win" situation, more intimidating and it costs less.