TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

It's always a fascinating spectacle on the TPR forums when a new B&M for the states is announced. I've been a member for three of them so far (Banshee, Thunderbird, and now Fury 325) and the reaction seems to be the same every single time. Comments range from "This ride looks like it won't have any forces" or "they could have spent this money on something so much better." Then you get the park fanboys (yes I'm guilty on HW thread to an extent) who defend the ride to the death saying things like "this looks so awesome" or "how can you not like this? It's looks so much better than (insert said ride built by B&M)." There are 5-8 posts out of 30 complaining about the ride and that turns into 20 pages of people complaining about complainers. Reading some of those posts throughout those 20 pages is enough to drive a man to drink.

Fury 325 looks like it will be a fun speed filled coaster. Am I absolutely OMFG blown away by the animation? No, but I don't need to be. Could they have gotten something so much better with the money they spent? Maybe, I don't know. It was Cedar Fair's money to spend, not mine. I would like to think they have a very reasonable and justified answer for choosing B&M over Intamin. I would love to know and I'm sure a lot of other enthusiasts would like to know as well, but that is none of our business.

Though I do not think it looks amazing, it does look much better than the original speculated animation created on No Limits. It will be interesting to see how B&M handles sideways airtime. (If you want awesome sideways airtime, experience the first drop of SWSD's Manta in the back row) I do love Carowinds, and I am glad to see the mostly ignored north end of the park getting some serious attention.

These additions Cedar Fair has been investing in are actually extremely smart, in my opinion. They might not have a spectacular ride for every park every season, but people will look at what Six Flags is getting and what Cedar Fair is getting. The GP will definitely want to go ride a giga than a smaller steel hybrid or wooden coaster, even if it's a B&M vs. RMC. Us coaster enthusiasts know RMC has been creating world class coasters while B&M's are "nice," but we are the 1% of the amusement industry; people don't care what we have to say.

Prediction: Fury 325 will be rated #1 ROLLER COASTER IN THE WORLD that has a teal paint job.

All kidding aside, I think this looks like a very solid ride. I might even venture to N/SC because of it. The color scheme is absolutely wicked. With the lower positioned elements interacting with the entrance, this ride should really give a nice sense of speed. Only thing I don't really care for is that carousel towards the end; a very low to the ground helix ala Medusa/Scream would have been better. I really don't have any complaints about the ride other than that. Fury 325 will be a visual icon with it's striking color scheme. B&M really knows how to create pieces of visual art that can make a statement.

It's always a fascinating spectacle on the TPR forums when a new B&M for the states is announced. I've been a member for three of them so far (Banshee, Thunderbird, and now Fury 325) and the reaction seems to be the same every single time. Comments range from "This ride looks like it won't have any forces" or "they could have spent this money on something so much better." Then you get the park fanboys (yes I'm guilty on HW thread to an extent) who defend the ride to the death saying things like "this looks so awesome" or "how can you not like this? It's looks so much better than (insert said ride built by B&M)." There are 5-8 posts out of 30 complaining about the ride and that turns into 20 pages of people complaining about complainers. Reading some of those posts throughout those 20 pages is enough to drive a man to drink.

Fury 325 looks like it will be a fun speed filled coaster. Am I absolutely OMFG blown away by the animation? No, but I don't need to be. Could they have gotten something so much better with the money they spent? Maybe, I don't know. It was Cedar Fair's money to spend, not mine. I would like to think they have a very reasonable and justified answer for choosing B&M over Intamin. I would love to know and I'm sure a lot of other enthusiasts would like to know as well, but that is none of our business.

I did not like this coaster and I can not say it? resigned, you are not god on earth, these mountains is a waste of metal as a millennium force and leviathan

This coaster is going to be great, I'm really happy with the outcome. I didn't want another B&M hyper in the park, but I think they did a great job putting together something different. Yes it still follows the tried and true B&M design philosophy, but this coaster doesn't look boring in the least. Those fast turns are going to offer something Intimidator doesn't. It's just a rendering, but those airtime hills without trims look pretty powerful (not Intamin powerful, but more powerful than Intimidator). I really think the final product is going to be great, not a no.1 contender for myself (c'mon, just cause it's taller doesn't make it better than i305, that experience is going to be hard to beat) but maybe a no.2 spot on my list. Looks like a lot of fun. The new front entrance is going to be really cool.

In my opinion, Fury 325 looks like the best B&M ever built.

Isn't it a little early to be making that huge leap? I mean... Nemesis, Kumba, Montu. This ride might be better (lol) but we should probably ride it before saying it looks like the best B&M ever.

Like I said before I think it's going to be great. I don't expect a super intense ride because that's not what it's designed to be. It's designed for speed and has some low to the ground elements that should really showcase that speed. I can't wait to ride it.

Fury 325 looks fun. nice combination of some floater airtime hills with some low to ground banking turns -- hopefully those turns will have some Intamin-like snap and pop. Plus, a beautiful layout, great ride presence at the front gate, etc. I am very impressed with Cedar Fair's commitment to put in this huge rides at parks like Carowinds.

I would love a GIga at SFGAm. An El Toro-clone but in a Giga form! (hey, it could happen!)

I wish I was more excited about this! It's a great addition. I guess my excitement has leveled out a bit since we basically already knew what the park was getting. I wish it was an Intamin but for a B&M this looks promising and regardless of forces and airtime, the speed and length alone will make this a great ride! I just hope it is more forceful than Intimidator. The turnaround looks great and I am happy to see some room for airtime in those return hills.

Is anyone else sad to see the old front gate go? I am a huge fan of their entrance and this just seems like a boring Cedar Fair entrance that has no rhyme or reason. The interaction with Fury 325 will be impressive though!

While I wish it was an Intamin, I'm glad it is a giga and not another wing coaster. This will definitely be worth the 3 hour drive from Atlanta a few times next year, especially with a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass!

I finally got to watch the POV animation (can't stream any video here at the office.) I have to say, I'm pretty impressed at the length and am really looking forward to riding it.

I've never been to CW so I haven't tried out a B&M Giga. I305 is right near the top of my list - but it will be cool to see how B&M does over 300 feet. I have the feeling that I will be able to re-ride Fury more readily than I305 - because I305 kind of tires me out after a few rides and I feel the need to take a break.

I'm looking forward to watching this one being built as well. Construction of a new ride always makes me happy.

Is it just me, or am I noticing less and less MCBR's on new coasters? This is a very long ride to not have one, so what does that mean to the capacity of the attraction? Or it is that super fast dispatches are a thing of the past? Granted, the lift hill on this ride may be quite fast like the one on Banshee.

Is it just me, or am I noticing less and less MCBR's on new coasters? This is a very long ride to not have one, so what does that mean to the capacity of the attraction? Or it is that super fast dispatches are a thing of the past? Granted, the lift hill on this ride may be quite fast like the one on Banshee.

I am sure the lift hill will be very fast for a chain, and keep in mind, at 95 mph with low to the ground elements, the course won't take as long as most 200 ft B&M hypers with a MCBR, I would assume. I wouldn't worry about the capacity too much.

You cant judge a ride purely on airtime hills. Amazing Rides like Maverick (2 Airtime Hills) and I305 (3 Airtime Hills) dont have that many hills but give you airtime and thrills in other ways.

You're right, however, this just doesn't seem to pack much of a punch. I'm judging the ride as a whole. Nothing about this pops out to me. Just seems stale and over done.

This was one of those instances where I was not only very excited for a new coaster announcement and had high expectations, but where it actually exceeded my expectations. I am thrilled to see a coaster of this magnitude coming to a park which is in my region (about a 6 hour drive). While I cannot pass judgement until I get the opportunity to ride it next year, I anticipate that I will really enjoy it since I enjoy B&M Hypers a great deal, and because the layout looks amazing to me...it is as if they took Leviathan and refined and revised it. Congratulations to Carowinds, Cedar Fair and B&M on what looks as if it will be an awesome new coaster, I feel they made the right decision and I not only look forward to riding but seeing what the park has in store in the future...I am actually considering purchasing a Platinum Pass due to this.