TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

4)No trim breaks- I know this one may be irrelevant because they can be added at anytime, but one could point out that in the preview videos for previous B&M mega-coasters did include the trims. This one does not

I do remember seeing some POVs which already included the trims. However, banshee's (for instance) does not.

By the way, not that it's very important but does anyone know the lift angle? Similar to leviathan's, I guess (which It don't know either).

Sorry for double post

4)No trim breaks- I know this one may be irrelevant because they can be added at anytime, but one could point out that in the preview videos for previous B&M mega-coasters did include the trims. This one does not

Yet the first airtime hill got a suspicious straight section (

), so I think they'll definitely put a trim here.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Are leviathan's trims nasty? Do they actually do much?

^^^I don't know if the trains have to do with the ride being a giga or a hyper at all. The fact is the only two B&M gigas are/will be at parks which already have a hyper with the new trains, so I wonder if they just wanted to make it "more different" if that makes any sense. It's not like they can use the V-shaped ones for heights up to 299 ft and as soon as it gets to 300 they have to use these.

Sorry for double post

Yet the first airtime hill got a suspicious straight section (

), so I think they'll definitely put a trim here.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Are leviathan's trims nasty? Do they actually do much?

When Levi's trims are used, you cannot even feel it.

I've never understood the purpose of the hyper trains with the split rows. Anyone have any insight there? They look cool, I suppose, but is the ride much different? I guess I could see riding isolated on either side to be pretty cool, but overall I don't really get it.

^It's not a big difference. Yes, you do have more room (a lot, really, if you're in the back of the car) but the ride is the same. I suppose for some people it may be scarier. However, as I always ride every coaster in the outside seats (as usually I'm not with enthusiasts) it's not much different for me.

I've never understood the purpose of the hyper trains with the split rows. Anyone have any insight there? They look cool, I suppose, but is the ride much different?

The idea with it is so you'll always get that a lot of space around you and in front of you. On each seat you have space of atleast 3 sides of you, so you feel alot more exposed (all sides of you if you're in the back) you can fling your arms up without smacking someone in the face. So you'll always get that front row, edge of row feeling.

That's the idea I think anyway.

Edited by Richard

^So how do you know they're being used? You hear them?

Leviathan's trims are magnetic. They are 99% entirely silent. If you're on an empty train by yourself you MIGHT be able to hear them but with a train full of screaming riders you most definitely will not hear them.

Source

my sister lives in chapel hill and i've only been there once in her 18-20 years there. guess this will give me a reason to at least meet them in charlotte and see my niece and nephew in their own state for once. lol

looks like a lot of fun and really love the entrance.

I'm happy that the park is getting a new roller coaster. Although it just looks boring to me, yea it's the tallest giga coaster. But I can't get over the fact that they could have done something better then making a coaster that has similar elements to Intimidator. It just looks so ugly and not that exciting to me. I just hope that Cedar Fair will start adding more coasters to there parks that aren't B&M.

Edited by B.A.B

I've never understood the purpose of the hyper trains with the split rows. Anyone have any insight there? They look cool, I suppose, but is the ride much different? I guess I could see riding isolated on either side to be pretty cool, but overall I don't really get it.

Quoted from the B&M seat patent:

Even if, in the majority, passengers visit amusement parks in families or as a group of friends, when the question arises of trying out an installation of this type, it is, in the final analysis, the feelings and impressions of the individual which determine each person's experience. The individual nature of the sensations is not the result, up to this point, of the installation itself, because the passengers are seated next to one another, in rows of two or four people in general, and the trains are made up of wagons of several rows. This means that there is an inevitable collective aspect to the ride, even if, as has just been said, the sensations are essentially of an individual nature.

In the search for new impressions or stronger impressions than those experienced hitherto, constructors are making recourse to more daring track layouts and even greater changes of level, but the collective character referred to above still remains.

Ideally, each passenger should be provided with an individual vehicle in order to experience in full the pleasures offered by the ride, and to experience stronger sensations due to these being enhanced by the sensation of freedom. To provide a somewhat simplistic comparison, a person feels, in overall terms, more at liberty on a bicycle than in a bus. Unfortunately, when the number of visitors is considered, and the outlay which would be necessary for the installation to be profitable, individual vehicles are immediately disqualified.

It's a long read, but basically they say that a coaster is more of an individual experience, and thus making the row splitted is going further in that direction, opposed to the four-accross rows.

BTW, B&M patents are always fun to read. Check this quote I found in the Floorless coaster patent :

The enormous success of the roller coaster among the public is due to the fact that the cocktail of sensations is as inevitable as it is changeable, but it changes nothing in the fact that this cocktail is always deliciously explosive.

Edited by KingRCT3

Guys I'm pretty sure they're trolling us... It's definately still going to be Intamin

All sarcasm aside, that turnaround at the far end has some..... interesting shaping. Still looking forward to riding this bad boy, even though its a Beemer

I'm happy that the park is getting a new roller coaster. Although it just looks boring to me, yea it's the tallest giga coaster. But I can't get over the fact that they could have done something better then making a coaster that has similar elements to Intimidator. It just looks so ugly and not that exciting to me. I just hope that Cedar Fair will start adding more coasters to there parks that aren't B&M.

Name one similarity besides being built by the same company.

Also, lets not forget that Carowinds knows what theyre doing. Canadas Wonderland tried this whole hyper/giga B&M combo and it was a success. So theres 0 reason to think this wouldnt be the case at Carowinds.

I honestly don't understand all the hate for this project. Come on! The ride has an extremly twisty and intense first section. A turnaround with sideways airtime into a tunnel. Then it Has three more spots of airtime after that. Don't forget the air on the lift hill. I feel the hate towards BM is a bandwagon. I don't find them forceless. People just say that because they aren't pulling six gs causing people to black out like intamins psychotic i305. No matter what I say, the bandwagon won't stop. I am a BM fan if ya couldn't tell . So overall I expect this ride to be amazing. If it's not it's certainly going to be awesome!

Gosh, we enthusiasts are getting pickier and pickier. Never in a million years would I have expected somebody to say a 325 foot tall coaster looks "boring".

Gosh, we enthusiasts are getting pickier and pickier. Never in a million years would I have expected somebody to say a 325 foot tall coaster looks "boring".

Honestly all this sounds just like when Thunderbird was announced.