TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^We've had this discussion recently on some topic but I think that if skyrush can have an 85º drop with long eight-car trains why can't a giga have a vertical one? Not to mention Lightning Run which manages a 100 ft 80º drop with medium sized trains

I'm just mad that we haven't seen any signs of hinting from Carowinds like what we saw at Kings Island. I wish more parks would do what Kings Island did and what holiday world is doing now. It just hyped it up more! I wonder if this means we won't be seeing much theming to this coaster. Probably won't.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the park several times since opening. The focus right now are getting harmony hall and the slides open, which should be in few weeks because they're definitely over scheduled and the GP have voiced their opinions about it especially the slides on top of season pass holders not being able have their personal parking lot. At opening there was a ton of construction going on all over the park with the new Chickies and Petes in the boardwalk section with moving Chick fil a into the old country kitchen location and the moving of funnel cakes into the old chick fil a location as an emporium opening the dockside fries in front of Carolina Cobra, adding the TVs in the quene lines then revamping hurlers first banked curve only to recently add the trim brake back on and the slides, I think they took on a bit much. All that's been done so far concerning the new coaster is a wood fence surrounding the area and behind it the removal of the karts and the tires that are now stacked to the side, the track seems to have holes drilled in all over place and where ripcord was the concrete foundation and targets are still in place. I agree back in 2009 we saw hints of Intimidator by this time with the whole lightning strikes twice thinking white lighting or the name was coming back.

Some photos from friday at the park. Extremely short lines for the entire day, the park was practically empty. Slide construction is almost complete, and I was told by an employee that they will be open before July. Harmony Hall Marketplace is also coming along quite nicely.

IMG_4992.thumb.JPG.75656e4600dde002d96b99a0e6853eac.JPG

One of the best B&M Inverts around!

IMG_4994.thumb.PNG.17ff25fe6efe86f4e1d8823466c66723.PNG

The new paint job looks fantastic!

IMG_4996.thumb.JPG.0fe887b1a72c74bc308e3146bb2c3d60.JPG

Of course, we can't forget about Intimidaotr

IMG_4997.thumb.JPG.4bc51af920de354f9b3bda8e633cfbcc.JPG

Lot's of floater airtime, just an all around great coaster!

IMG_4999.thumb.JPG.f41a77ea3a79d4555531e72b20e264b7.JPG

AIRTIME!

IMG_5003.thumb.JPG.ed408410c20163251edbf5d788b835ea.JPG

Ricochet's new paint job look fantastic as well!

IMG_5006.thumb.JPG.4b087c7a023988cb5f791c52e0862448.JPG

The new slides look great, now if only they would open!

IMG_4079.JPG.ebc61fe031a446a995b6d9f866ee005d.JPG

Overall, a great day a a great park!

A work trip for my BF resulted in us stopping by Carowinds for the first time last Monday. Thoughts:

--Bunch of coaster enthusiasts (maybe from the U.K.?) were also visiting the park. They sure do like the Voyage, judging by their t-shirts and tattoos. (Yes, tattoos.) I need to get on that one soon.

--Thought most of the rides were too short. Intimidator was perfect in length -- and everything else, frankly.

--Biggest surprise: Woodstock Express. Biggest letdown: The roughness down the final stretch of Thunder Road. Ow. In fact, a good handful of the rides were a little on the rough side.

--Free water park: astounding idea. A shame the new slides weren't open yet, but oh well. Loved those two-person raft slides at Pipeline Peak.

--Staff were nice, but most of them had to refer me to someone else when I asked a question. Can't recall a more uninformed park staff.

--Happy I went and had a nice afternoon, but for a Cedar Fair park, it's just so-so. Or maybe I'm getting tougher to impress.

^ I'm confused by your statement. What other Carolina park is supposed to be getting a Giga?

You should be confused, because i am stupid.

I was thinking of Kings Dominion, which i now geographically relocated to another state. But the point remains: I find it interesting that these relatively "smaller" parks are getting some massive coasters in comparison to parks like SFMM, SFGam, and even SFGadv.

Cedar Fair recently trademarked the name "Fury 325".

I wonder if this could be the name for the new ride. Follows the same kind of naming convention as "Intimidator 305".

This is an old rumor from Screamscape, but Knott's Berry Farm is going to add a 325-340 feet giga from Intamin, but Cedar Fair doesn't really order coasters from Intamin anymore since they LOVE B&M. Maybe that trademark is for Knott's next coaster.

Given Centurion and Fury 325 are indeed for Carowinds and Knotts I am willing to bet since they trademarked Centurion first that will go to the park opening up their new coaster first (given one is in 2015 and the other in 2016). Rumors are Carowinds in 2015 and Knotts is 2016 also Knotts rumor was a 325ft giga so that'd make sense if indeed thats what they get.

^ I'm confused by your statement. What other Carolina park is supposed to be getting a Giga?

You should be confused, because i am stupid.

I was thinking of Kings Dominion, which i now geographically relocated to another state. But the point remains: I find it interesting that these relatively "smaller" parks are getting some massive coasters in comparison to parks like SFMM, SFGam, and even SFGadv.

You probably should know that Kings Dominion and Carowids aren't small parks. KD is 400 acres and Carowinds is over 300. SFGAdv of course is the largest park in the world, but SFMM isn't even 300. Yes, they have more coasters, but in terms of land and attractions, both of these parks are bigger than Magic Mountain and Great America. But you also have to keep in mind that this is Six Flags we're talking about. They in no way are going to build a coaster at a park that costs over $20 million. Cedar Fair on the other hand is willing to do it!

And as for Fury 325, I like Centurion better. I think that this is a fake.

^I'm almost certain they were pertaining to the attendance, and other factors. Not the physical size of the park. :/

A 900,000 acre park with 5 carnival rides and 10,000 visitors is still considered a "small" park.

This is an old rumor from Screamscape, but Knott's Berry Farm is going to add a 325-340 feet giga from Intamin, but Cedar Fair doesn't really order coasters from Intamin anymore since they LOVE B&M. Maybe that trademark is for Knott's next coaster.

Given Centurion and Fury 325 are indeed for Carowinds and Knotts I am willing to bet since they trademarked Centurion first that will go to the park opening up their new coaster first (given one is in 2015 and the other in 2016). Rumors are Carowinds in 2015 and Knotts is 2016 also Knotts rumor was a 325ft giga so that'd make sense if indeed thats what they get.

People still think the Knott's giga is coming?