TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^I still don't see why those seat belts are necessary. B&M has been using the same clamshell restraint since 1999 and they haven't failed anyone yet.

It's likely the fallout of what happened with Texas Giant. Cedar Fair just wants to reassure the public.

Hurler at KD has been closed since the park has been opened. Was Hurler just closed that day, or has it been closed the entire season? If its been closed, then kinda coincidental that they're both closed...hmmm..

Not sure how long it's been closed, but people have ridden it this season. It just got a new turn, this season, so I'm doubtful the park is planning anything devious. KD on the other hand, who knows. It sure wont be missed if it comes down, but IMO, it's closed for other reasons.

No idea what's up with the seat belts, if it were all about making riders feel safer... why not the rest of them? What's so special about the new trains?

^Just like someone said above, the only ones that have gotten the belts are the new trains.

Yeah but why? I mean, if they were separating these newer hypers from the older ones (until Silver Star) that could mean something but, apart from the seating arrangement, is there any difference between Behemoth's trains and Leviathan's?

I find it quite odd (but maybe they just haven't added them to leviathan for some reason we don't know and will do it soon).

Could it be because there is less room between the seats on leviathan to put the belts? (still sounds a bit weird)

Leviathan-image-4.jpg.65704f93ffe6279b20b17acecb6fb249.jpg

I'm way more inclined to think it's a coincidence. I don't know why we're comparing to other chains when it's widely believed to be a Cedar Fair issue, not a B&M one. Fair point that it may be more difficult to install the belts on the traditional trains, as we've all seen the issues with cars that were never meant to have belts. But I don't think that means we got lucky with that train style. I'm sure that either it is more difficult and they'll find a more convoluted way to add them once they get a chance...or they're coming to Leviathan a little later, like how we thought none of the others would get them just because they didn't open the season with them...or maybe they really are an "experiment" and they wanted to make a direct comparison between the two options at Canada's Wonderland.

• 2 weeks later...
So, how does Intimidator ride with the seatbelts?

I rode it Sunday with the belts and they didn't affect the ride at all to me.

I have heard though that some people have started getting stapled for some strange reason. I didn't have that problem.

Report: 2 teen workers banned from Carowinds after stealing from park

http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/13/3444562/report-2-teen-workers-banned-from.html

FORT MILL — Two teenage employees have been banned from Carowinds after deputies say they stole hundreds of dollars from the amusement park, stuffing the cash in their shoes and spending it on clothes.

Deputies on Saturday met with Carowinds security officers who learned that Charles Grandison of Charlotte and Catawba’s Donta Johnson, both 17, allegedly stole money from the registers while working at a park kiosk, according to a York County Sheriff’s report. The two suspects, the security officers claim, would keep customers’ receipts after they made a purchase. They would then void out the receipt’s amount to make it look as if the order had been canceled out and keep the money to themselves, the report states.

Johnson voided $255 on Saturday, but never took it from the register, the report states. Johnson told deputies that he planned to take the $255, but did not have the chance. He admitted that he took money from the register in the past. He once took $200 and then later took $80 on a separate day, the report states. He used the money, he told deputies, to buy clothes and other personal items.

Grandison told deputies he had $484 in his shoes and he took $100 sometime within the past three months, the report states. He told deputies he used the money to buy personal items. Security found the money in Grandison’s shoe.

Both Grandison and Johnson were charged with breach of trust and issued lifetime trespass notices from Carowinds.

If Carowinds gets this thing, please Cedar Fair go for 350 feet at least with loads of airtime. There are far too many gimmicky attractions out there and stop making Millennium Force your trophy you are afraid to exceed. Thank you.

If Carowinds gets this thing, please Cedar Fair go for 350 feet at least with loads of airtime. There are far too many gimmicky attractions out there and stop making Millennium Force your trophy you are afraid to exceed. Thank you.

Millennium Force may not be the reason they haven't topped 310 feet (though it does seem that way), it's very possible that they just don't see the financial benefit in doing so.

Once you build a coaster that's over 300 feet tall you have a great marketing angle. It's the tallest and fastest coaster in the southeast, 300 is a nice round number that you can put out there in the media and on merchandise. If they go to 350 feet instead of 300 feet that probably won't encourage any additional people to visit the park. They're already going to get everyone's attention when they top 300 feet. From the park's point of view, why would they make the extra investment when it won't lead to any more of a return on that investment? If they could break a record they might go higher but it won't be anywhere close to the tallest coaster in the world. Calling it the tallest "traditional" or "gravity driven" coaster in the world won't appeal to anyone because most people don't know or care what that means... there's no reason why they would go higher or faster than they need to.

Plus they're pretty close to a major airport so I'm not sure what restrictions they need to deal with on that front.

I wonder if we could see the first giga coaster with a vertical drop as it almost seems that they are "afraid" to reach that number given that they stay at around 80º-85º

Millennium Force may not be the reason they haven't topped 310 feet (though it does seem that way), it's very possible that they just don't see the financial benefit in doing so.

Once you build a coaster that's over 300 feet tall you have a great marketing angle. It's the tallest and fastest coaster in the southeast, 300 is a nice round number that you can put out there in the media and on merchandise. If they go to 350 feet instead of 300 feet that probably won't encourage any additional people to visit the park. They're already going to get everyone's attention when they top 300 feet. From the park's point of view, why would they make the extra investment when it won't lead to any more of a return on that investment? If they could break a record they might go higher but it won't be anywhere close to the tallest coaster in the world. Calling it the tallest "traditional" or "gravity driven" coaster in the world won't appeal to anyone because most people don't know or care what that means... there's no reason why they would go higher or faster than they need to.

Plus they're pretty close to a major airport so I'm not sure what restrictions they need to deal with on that front.

I think tallest traditional roller coaster would sound impressive to the gp, as they likely don't know what makes a coaster traditional or not. The important thing is that they can use the word tallest. Like Banshee, world's longest inverted coaster may not sound that impressive but as long as the gp hear "longest" that's all that matters.

I wonder if we could see the first giga coaster with a vertical drop as it almost seems that they are "afraid" to reach that number given that they stay at around 80º-85º

Not necessarily 'scared', it has more to do with physics. To 90°vertical safely (in terms of negative G forces), you'd need either a lengthy drop or a short train (Dodonpa, Maverick etc.)