TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

If it really is going to be a B&M, should we expect it to be the same style as intimidator (a hyper)? Wouldn't that be king of repeating a ride, only bigger? I know that's what happened with Canada's Wonderland but I still find it strange. Could we expect a different model, a giga floorless maybe?

^I do hope so. Not a big fan of their new ones: they look too long and narrow and they seem to affect the pacing on some rides. Still, as I already said, I would like to see a Giga coaster different from the others (a different type of ride) maybe with inversions, who knows... (no, I don't really think so)

^I don't get it. To me it seems like the only thing that makes Shambahla stand out from other B&M hypers is its one tiny (yet huge) airtime/speed hill right after the trims...I haven't heard anything positive about its photogenic turnaround. Leviathan, THE B&M giga, actually has a very similar element or two of its own.

B&M could go different than Leviathan, but I'd say it's not very likely. At the same time I've never ridden Leviathan, but if it had no trims couldn't the ride be absolutely incredible? I think that drop + barrel roll turn + two good airtime hills could easily make a ride.

Carowinds i232 is a fun ride, it would be a great candidate for marathoning all day long. But of the B&M speed coasters in the US it's my least favorite of all of them. Perhaps it would be a better ride if the trims were not on, but the finale after the break run is uninspired and not worthy of the size of the coaster.

A very tall B&M could be a spectacular ride or it could be a larger version of i232.

Afterburn was a lot more intense and exciting.

Georgia Goliath is my favorite B&M speed coaster, followed by Diamondback. Raging Bull is great until the trim brake on the third hill. Apollo and Nitro are OK. Nitro suffers from having El Toro nearby, if it wasn't there it would seem better.

I haven't been on any B&Ms outside the US.

This ride will be a giga. Remember, the closed session transcript said the park was asking for a coaster taller than 300 feet. I see no reason why the coaster would all of a sudden be shorter.But I hope they get creative with the coaster if the length is shorter than Intimidator.

Why is everyone drinking all this B&M hatorade?

Yes, they are forceless sometimes. Yes, they can be over-trimmed. Yes, they are not as Intense as Intamin.

But, even though they don't make outstanding rides,the ones they make are fun. They have efficiency so no matter how long the line is, you're looking at a 30-40 minute wait. The rides aren't maintenance nightmares. The seats are comfortable because they don't use OTSRs which give you a free feeling.

To stop all this drama, I wish Carowinds would go with a different manufacturer like Mack or Chance Rides or someone who is neither B&M nor Intamin.

I guess all B&M's will forever fall into the "better than nothing" category of coasters since many enthusiasts are disappointed with it.

Why is everyone drinking all this B&M hatorade?

they are forceless sometimes. Yes, they can be over-trimmed. Yes, they are not as Intense as Intamin.

You answered your own question.

Personally I'd prefer a B&M to an Intamin with Skyrush trains. That being said if they did something with trains like the ones on i305 or Millennium Force / Superman that would be incredible.

^I don't get it. To me it seems like the only thing that makes Shambahla stand out from other B&M hypers is its one tiny (yet huge) airtime/speed hill right after the trims...I haven't heard anything positive about its photogenic turnaround.

I thought there was nothing special about shambhala. It is the perfect GP ride: they can say they've been on Europe's tallest coaster yet it is very forceless and pretty non-breathtaking which makes it very re ridable for most guests. I've only been on two B&M hypers: Shambhala and Nitro and I thought the latter was better: more forceful, more consistent airtime, a much better ending (shambhala's is ridiculous), it has that G pulling helix and, in my opinion, the trains are better. I ended up riding shambhala 8 times but, closer to the end, apart from the drop, I would get slightly bored. I liked what they did with nitro: as many airtime hills as possible, it just lacks some intensity when it comes to negatives.

If it really is going to be a B&M, should we expect it to be the same style as intimidator (a hyper)? Wouldn't that be king of repeating a ride, only bigger? I know that's what happened with Canada's Wonderland but I still find it strange. Could we expect a different model, a giga floorless maybe?

I actually like the floorless trains idea on a B&M. Just no OTSR restraints. Maybe something like a lap bar you pull up instead of pulling to yourself. Then again, unless you're 6 feet tall, your feet usuallly don't touch the floor on a B&M Hyper, so It wouldn't make much of a difference.

^Yeah but when I said floorless I wasn't just talking about the trains, I was talking about the "model" which includes several inversions. And that's something we've never seen on a giga before.

I don't think we will see and inversion quantity record being broken hear... but the idea of Giga looper is pretty cool! It would be great to see someone like B&M go down this road... with the newer style of restraints we have seen on wing riders and Banshee, we could easily do this without having too high of a head banging problem!

While it's not very good, I used MS Paint to make a picture of Festhaus at Carowinds. I used half of a picture from the KI Festhaus, and half of Intimidator. Here is my disaster: festhaus_at_carowinds.jpg.8fbbfffde871de1219b36d1e5c2cbccc.jpg

I know it is especially bad because it is not even in the right postion

Edited by tarheel1231

The park is most likely following in the steps of Canada's Wonderland. Remember, Charlotte and Toronto are the two markets Cedar Fair is trying to invest in, so the plan for both parks could be the same. I'll be happy with a giga coaster period. Yes, Leviathan is not as forceful as Millennium Force or I-305, but it looks like a fun coaster (I've never gotten my I-305 or Leviathan credit so I could be wrong). I'm not saying a giga coaster is just a "better than nothing" choice for a park, I'm just saying you can't go wrong either way. And I know I'll have a mile long list of people saying "but B&M's are force-less, and an Intamin would be better". Yes that's true but we're getting a giant coaster over 300 feet tall. I think you can't go bad either way as long as the coaster isn't over-trimmed.

The park is most likely following in the steps of Canada's Wonderland. Remember, Charlotte and Toronto are the two markets Cedar Fair is trying to invest in, so the plan for both parks could be the same. I'll be happy with a giga coaster period. Yes, Leviathan is not as forceful as Millennium Force or I-305, but it looks like a fun coaster (I've never gotten my I-305 or Leviathan credit so I could be wrong). I'm not saying a giga coaster is just a "better than nothing" choice for a park, I'm just saying you can't go wrong either way. And I know I'll have a mile long list of people saying "but B&M's are force-less, and an Intamin would be better". Yes that's true but we're getting a giant coaster over 300 feet tall. I think you can't go bad either way as long as the coaster isn't over-trimmed.

I'm surprised that Cedar Fair wants to invest in them but won't add hotels/lodging properties. Canada's Wonderland especially.