TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Actually...I launcher is the last thing the "description" gives way to. Quick story...back in june a guy from the chamber of commerce went to the city council begging for money for cedar fair. His thing was cedar fair was trying to chose between csrowinds and kings dominion as which park would get the 50 million investment. When describing the coaster he used all the current gigs coasters, world wide, ss an example of the style...however, he used gatekeeper to describe the front entrance. I personally think he wanted to show the shiny new coaster and entrance to entice the NC city council. It looks like carowinds won the investment over kings dominion though since they have announced the slides addition and semi the food court. From my understanding the city council approved but they were more so worried about "what's in it for me" and how this would benefit nc over sc (where most of the additions are going and where most of the hotels that will probably housed these. 400k plus in attendance are located). One council woman even exclaim if a 300 ft coaster was safe to operate. She was quickly reminder that this will not be a record height and several are well over 400ft.

So my prediction...300+ft intamin with their winged cars...like on the u-shaped coaster...

If you mean your typical Intamin giga (I-305/MF) but with the u-shape or Skyrush cars, it would rock. But if you mean a 300 foot u-shape coaster...goodness no! But a traditional giga with winged cars? EPIC!!!

The thing I like about Intamin is that they engineer, B&M just provides. B&Ms are nice, smooth, and reliable, true, but they almost never build anything groundbreaking except for bigger versions of the few things they pioneer. Intamin really likes to push the industry forward and while they have their issues, true, it's part of engineering. That's why being an engineer in the industry is so hard, you really can't test out your concepts at all until it's go time, and because of how the calendar is for the industry, it's really hard to find time to tweak it until you get it right, and it unfortunately cuts into season time. Intamin's known for cranking out a lot of prototypes, so that's why it happens. I imagine that in a few years I-305 will run as flawlessly as Skyrush does now that they've tweaked all the issues out, and I bet since this won't be the first of its kind, it'll be fine even faster.

Not ridden Kingda Ka but it sounds like it has less downtime than Dragster. That sort of thing.

Actually...I launcher is the last thing the "description" gives way to.

I meant of the options I listed which the park is lacking, only launcher would be 300', unless the 65 MPH part is also true.

I think Carowinds needs another coaster more than KD, but if they're trying for a superpark it doesn't get them there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Saturdays are the busiest and get worse as you get closer to Halloween. I would expect lots of people and long lines on Saturday. If you want to do all the mazes, I'd recommend considering a Fright pass.

It's hit or miss on the mazes, but you will most likely find them all with pretty long lines.

After watching enough of the U shaped coaster pov to see what the cars look like, I also want a giga with those trains. (with all rows facing forwards though)

A LAUNCHED coaster with a 300ft. top hat with those trains built by Intamin. That's what we need at Carowinds!

After watching enough of the U shaped coaster pov to see what the cars look like, I also want a giga with those trains. (with all rows facing forwards though)

A LAUNCHED coaster with a 300ft. top hat with those trains built by Intamin. That's what we need at Carowinds!

I'm sure that's what they're getting, too.

It's a gigahyperstratamegaloopingdivingeurofightingflooorlessinvertedwoodenwildmouseaquatrax.

You're WRONG!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! It's a Wacky Worm. A 300 foot Wacky Worm.

Just kidding, that's exactly what it'll be.

Goofing around aside, I don't think there's enough room under the bridge for a dive machine train to fit. And a 300 foot dive machine would look stupid in my opinion. The smaller ones at the Busch Gardens parks and Diving Coaster in China all look okay because of the turn size being wide enough to seem appropriately sized for the rest of the structure, but a 300 foot one with the same turn radius (which is as tight as they can go I would imagine) might look too small for such a massive structure, and supporting a bigger one would be a nightmare. Not saying it won't happen, but it would look bad in my opinion. It would be an amazing ride, though.

I'm still guessing B&M giga is most likely, with a 300-foot Intamin winged outer seats (Skyrush) the second most likely. Paint it white with a red spine stripe (Patriot but reversed) and light blue supports (matching Carolina Skytower) and it would look great going under the bridge, into a giant hammerhead turn over that backstage area, and back under the bridge. Maybe theme it to space exploration?

^^^ That actually looks pretty sick, I'd be interested to see what a cobra roll is like on a dive machine.

I'd like to see what anything is like on a dive machine. The only inversion B&M has used so far on those is the Immelmann.

Me too. I believe the reason why they don't have many elements is the fact that B&M, in order to prevent high laterals, won't build a diving machine with lots of twists and so they stick to the immelmann which provides a slow transition from upside down to upright. That's why I doubt we will see one featuring a cobra roll (which probably also applies to wing coasters). Still, maybe we could see things like vertical loops, dive loops, these new big floaty corkscrews or maybe something like an inline roll.

• 1 month later...