TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

In the new Cedar Fair tradition, there will be a lot of painting coming up. Afterburn is still sporting its original paint and it will be repainted red (track), white, and blue. It was scheduled for this past spring but we had too much rain so it's been postponed until this fall. It costs around $250,000 to repaint a coaster. Ricochet will also be repainted in the next year or two. The current partial paint was done for maintenance reasons. Some of the water slides in the water park will also sport new paint next year.

Wait so now Carowinds will have 3 red B&Ms? I wonder why they would do that. If the giga is built by B&M they could paint it red and market the most red B&M coasters in one park lol.

^Yep. Someone apparently likes red. From the way it was described, it sounds like it will look similar to Patriot at Worlds of Fun.

I like the color scheme on Patriot, it's really nice, only scheme I like better is Talon's. They should do Talon's colors, cause those are awesome.

I know this is VERY, VERY unlikely, but what if we see a Vekoma, Gerstlauer, or Mack giga? Just for imagination's sake...

If Carowinds is indeed getting a Giga Coaster, I would bet that it is either B&M or Intamin. Personally, while I do think Leviathan was a great ride and wouldn't mind seeing a similar ride built I don't think it should go to Carowinds. It felt redundant to have two very similar rides at Canada's Wonderland and the same thing would happen at Carowinds as they already have Intimidator. An Intamin Giga, on the other hand, would be a great fit for the park as they don't currently have anything quite like that (or any Intamin coaster for that matter).

What's the difference with building a B&M giga vs and Intamin giga?

The B&M will be more reliable.

Do you feel that it is redundant for a park to have more than one wooden roller coaster? More than one launch coaster? More than one restaurant?

Leviathan and Behemoth offer very different rides. They do however provide what the park is looking for. CAPACITY.

Can you imagine Carowinds with 3 awesome people eating B&M's? They already have two, Intimidator and Afterburn. Wait, that is kind of redundant. Better not.

The Intamin has the potential to be one of the best thrill rides ever made?

Seriously, I like both manufacturers, but B&M scored a tie at best when it comes to Leviathan versus Millennium Force. I-305 is far superior to both rides, and I'm not alone in thinking that.

Once again, the B&M will still be more reliable.

After all is said and done, do you really think Cedar Fair is going with Intamin on this coaster?

I have no idea what they'll build, but I know that I would have a hard time justifying building a trip around a B&M, regardless of reliability. Now, an Intamin, especially in an opening year? No question that my daughter and I will be there.

Do you feel that it is redundant for a park to have more than one wooden roller coaster? More than one launch coaster? More than one restaurant?

Leviathan and Behemoth offer very different rides. They do however provide what the park is looking for. CAPACITY.

Can you imagine Carowinds with 3 awesome people eating B&M's? They already have two, Intimidator and Afterburn. Wait, that is kind of redundant. Better not.

Do you feel that it is redundant for a park to have more than one mine train?

That might happen if they get a B&M giga.

I agree with what you are saying about the capacity and reliability. Also, I don't think most GP would care, and 99% of park guests don't know what B&M is.

But there is nothing wrong with enthusiasts hoping for some variety in the coaster selection. Or hoping for a world class ride that would most likely come from Intamin vs. something forceless or even boring that we've been seeing from B&M recently.

Do you feel that it is redundant for a park to have more than one mine train?

That might happen if they get a B&M giga.

I agree with what you are saying about the capacity and reliability. Also, I don't think most GP would care, and 99% of park guests don't know what B&M is.

But there is nothing wrong with enthusiasts hoping for some variety in the coaster selection. Or hoping for a world class ride that would most likely come from Intamin vs. something forceless or even boring that we've been seeing from B&M recently.

So what if B&M is a bit more reliable, Leviathan was nowhere near as good as MF and I305, and I would say most people would agree with me. MF and I305 are totally different ride experiences, and the B&M hypers feel more similar to Leviathan. Intamin would definitely be a better option, especially if they want to push the envelope and set new records.

^ Lots of people prefer MF to I305, which I do, and MF was Intamin's first giga, but I agree, B&M can definitely improve their gigas, which hopefully they'll do.

I personally prefer I305 over MF, but definitely prefer any Intamin giga over a B&M giga like Leviathan (totally non-biased opinion, considering CW is my home park). Although I have to agree with Benner, after seeing Shambhala on video, that B&M does have potential to make a top-notch giga, and could be just as welcome at Carowinds

Shambhala is a hyper not a giga. It's a really good coaster but the only thing that makes it better than most US hyper coasters by B&M (in my opinion) is how new it is and the level of theming.

I'd love to see an Intamin there, but if it is B&M then the only thing that would make me excited was 300ft+ flying coaster. I mean, would that even be possible? That would be one scary lift hill.

Shambhala is a hyper not a giga. It's a really good coaster but the only thing that makes it better than most US hyper coasters by B&M (in my opinion) is how new it is and the level of theming.

We'd love to see an Intamin there, but if it is B&M then the only thing that would make me excited was 300ft+ flying coaster. I mean, would that even be possible? That would be one scary lift hill.

300ft Winged? Now, that would rock. We doubt that, even if B&M could and would build it, Cedar Fair would place a far superior winged coaster to its flagship GateKeeper so close after GateKeeper was opened to the public! However, We're sure they'd draw awesome crowds for that!

^ Lots of people prefer MF to I305, which I do, and MF was Intamin's first giga, but I agree, B&M can definitely improve their gigas, which hopefully they'll do.

I personally prefer I305 over MF, but definitely prefer any Intamin giga over a B&M giga like Leviathan (totally non-biased opinion, considering CW is my home park). Although I have to agree with Benner, after seeing Shambhala on video, that B&M does have potential to make a top-notch giga, and could be just as welcome at Carowinds

We keep hearing how some people love I305 much more than MF... and others that say the opposite. We have yet to get to Kings Dominion to compare for ourselves, but MF is amazing and remains a standard for steel coasters. It is unfortunate that I305 did not get a better showing on the GTA Steel coaster list this year. Any thoughts as to why that might be?

Someone brought up a good point, do you think with them building it somewhere near Hurler, that they would have it dive under the foot bridge at the front of hte park?

Seems like a good option for a big coaster.

There were endless jokes about "hyper under the bridge" before we knew the layout of Intimidator.

If I'm honest, Shambhala was no better than Nitro (which is the only other B&M hyper I've been on). In fact, I would say I like Nitro just a tiny bit more because of its forceful helix. Shambhala was a very fun ride and a kind of coaster that attracts lots of people as it is the tallest in Europe and everyone can ride it. It's great for getting more people to visit the park, but not great to please enthusiasts a lot. I went there last year I ended up riding shambhala and Dragon Khan 8 times and Furius Baco 5 and, in the last rides it kind of got a bit boring, lots of floater air and everything, but it just didn't make me want to ride it again badly as furius baco and Dragon khan did. If I were to choose a coaster type for me, it would be a Giga B&M sitdown (or floorless) as I would love to see a + 200 ft tall inversion and B&M sitdowns have (or had) a lot of potential to be intense (such as Dragon Khan). Still, I know that's very unlikely and probably we'll be seeing either a B&M or an intamin giga.

I tend to prefer the old style B&M speed trains over the "V" style ones they use a majority of the time now. I hope parks chose them more often when buying B&M hypers/gigas. I like the feel of the smaller train and has less push/pull over the hills. So if Carowinds does get a B&M, I hope they are the old style trains myself.

If I'm honest, Shambhala was no better than Nitro (which is the only other B&M hyper I've been on). In fact, I would say I like Nitro just a tiny bit more because of its forceful helix. Shambhala was a very fun ride and a kind of coaster that attracts lots of people as it is the tallest in Europe and everyone can ride it. It's great for getting more people to visit the park, but not great to please enthusiasts a lot. I went there last year I ended up riding shambhala and Dragon Khan 8 times and Furius Baco 5 and, in the last rides it kind of got a bit boring, lots of floater air and everything, but it just didn't make me want to ride it again badly as furius baco and Dragon khan did.

That's too bad, as Shambhala *looks* good. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the other B&M hypers in the next steel polls Mitch does now that people are starting to ride it that can actually compare it to other great coasters. I still can't believe it placed so high last year.

We keep hearing how some people love I305 much more than MF... and others that say the opposite. We have yet to get to Kings Dominion to compare for ourselves, but MF is amazing and remains a standard for steel coasters. It is unfortunate that I305 did not get a better showing on the GTA Steel coaster list this year. Any thoughts as to why that might be?

Cause it was always down??? Hahahaha... but honestly...I feel a ride like I305 would make the coaster line up that much better at carowinds. Intimidator already has the hill aspect so the next one should have the low ground hugging speed aspect.