TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

^^This is the most we have heard so far which has led to some speculation:

Specific changes to the park are still being worked out, Zimmerman said. The company will study traffic, infrastructure and parking, among other things.

Parking might be shifted, he said, but the entrance will stay where it is and will get an upgrade.

“We’ve got some exciting things in terms of what you’re going to see when you arrive at the park,” Zimmerman said. “We’re really working on the arrival experience for our guests.”

That is quoted from one of our local news channels: www.wcnc.com/news/local/Carowinds-plans-50-million-expansion-221248521.html

I do anticipate the $50 mil will include a new coaster. I'm keeping a close eye out over the next three years and will have pictures as soon as there is anything to report.

Thanks for adding those logo pictures, ernierocker. I also had those but didn't think to include them. I'll include them next time.

^^This is the most we have heard so far which has led to some speculation:

Specific changes to the park are still being worked out, Zimmerman said. The company will study traffic, infrastructure and parking, among other things.

Parking might be shifted, he said, but the entrance will stay where it is and will get an upgrade.

“We’ve got some exciting things in terms of what you’re going to see when you arrive at the park,” Zimmerman said. “We’re really working on the arrival experience for our guests.”

That is quoted from one of our local news channels: www.wcnc.com/news/local/Carowinds-plans-50-million-expansion-221248521.html

I do anticipate the $50 mil will include a new coaster. I'm keeping a close eye out over the next three years and will have pictures as soon as there is anything to report.

Thanks for adding those logo pictures, ernierocker. I also had those but didn't think to include them. I'll include them next time.

With KI getting Banshee five years after Diamondback, I would say that the new coaster would come in 2015, along with the entrance rebuild. This is the Waterpark/Food portion of the 50 Million. I can't imagine those two slides would cost a lot either, so still hoping for a custom Intamin LSM and good flats.

A lot of people were hoping for a coaster at Carowinds next year. A new water slide complex is good too, but can another Cedar Fair park besides Kings Island get a coaster in 2014?

I really doubt it as most of the CF parks have announced their 2014 projects. Did Valleyfair or MIA announce yet? Those are the two I can think of hearing nothing from. Not a shock I know. Those poor forgotten parks. And don't take that too literally, I know they've gotten stuff in the past 5-6 years, but for the most part it seems the chain has forgotten they exist.

The way the chain is talking I think it's safe to say that we'll see a coaster in 2015.

One thing to point out, the park just last year redid the whole picnic areas. They built a great new expanded one in the front of the park, and of course the dinos whiped out the back one.

So they really don't have room for any rides in the very front of the park, unless they take out the ampitheater. All the dots up front of the park have me curious though what they will do.

I really doubt it as most of the CF parks have announced their 2014 projects. Did Valleyfair or MIA announce yet? Those are the two I can think of hearing nothing from. Not a shock I know. Those poor forgotten parks. And don't take that too literally, I know they've gotten stuff in the past 5-6 years, but for the most part it seems the chain has forgotten they exist.

No on VF and MIA announcing anything new for next year, at least not yet. And yes, it does seems a lot of the time that Cedar Fair (Cedar(Un)Fair to these 2 parks) has forgotten these parks exist. But when your the runt of the revenue generators for the chain you get treated the like the red headed step child of the family.

They haven't done anything major to the water park in years. While this is purely speculation on my part, I suspect that part of the announced 3 year $50 million plan will include another water park attraction as well as rebranding it to Soak City.

Great addition for the park!

I thought that their water park was adequate, but I can see the positives in adding more good slides...it was outrageously hot there when we visited last July and the water park was quite crowded. Despite that fact, it was most welcomed by us to be able to just loll in the wave pool to stay cool until later in the afternoon when we dared to brave the park again to hit the remaining coaster we missed in the morning!

Glad they're doing this! That water park sucks! It's a concrete jungle filled with boring slides (honestly, that big raft slide is the best) and you can do everything worthwhile in under an hour. Not to mention it gets so hot that it hurt my feet to walk on the concrete last time I was there, even after they had hosed down the path to prevent this.

That park either needs shade or misters along the pathways or something to keep the paths cool, and maybe decorate it a bit more.

I feel like the reason this wasn't Soak Citied was because of Ouimett. Soak Cities are pretty generic and the Boomerang Bays should be themed but aren't. I feel like Ouimett wants to potentially make these nicer in the future. Boomerang Bay was cool when Paramount owned the parks but now it's dreadful. Maybe we could see the return of these? Ouimett seems to be trying to bring theming back to Cedar Fair with GateKeeper and Banshee, maybe we see that for the Boomerang Bays that still have yet to become Soak City?

But the park needed this so yay!

I think Carowinds will get a coaster in 2015 and another water park addition in 2016 or 2017.

First we need some good flats, like a HUSS Giant Frisbee or S&S Screamin Swings

but...you said good flats...

Whats wrong with those flats?

Edited by PalmTree55