TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I am tentatively planning a trip to Carowinds Memorial Day weekend. What will the crowds be like on Sunday? Will it be as bad as a Saturday in May? Will I be able to hit all of the coasters at least once without FastPass? Thanks for any info, it will be my first time there and I am looking forward to it.

Interesting to see Outer Hanks is still unchanged, despite some of the other parks changing theirs up (specifically Kings Island). Still wish it was still operating as a Bubba Gumps at the time of the Deep South Trip, as I would've been able to add another one to my Bubba Gumps credit count...

I’ll file this as a very WILD rumor for now, but I did hear a very early whisper claiming that Carowinds may be on the short list of parks under consideration to get a B&M Wing Coaster in 2015. Cross your fingers… but this falls in line somewhat as Carowinds is due for a new coaster in either 2014 or 2015 as it will have been a good number of sinces since the park opened their last coaster, Intimidator back in 2010. If they decide to put the next Wing coaster somewhere else, Carowinds may receive a smaller coaster project instead for 2014.

They are rumoring a new coaster, and read it on Screamscape this morning.

When we were there a couple of weeks ago on a behind the scenes tour of Intimidator, they told us that they get a coaster every five years so we should expect something in 2015 since Intimidator was in 2010. What? I am not sure but I would guess wing rider. They also mentioned that they would probably be getting another ride next year as well. I am thinking flat ride. It would be nice if it was that giant frisbee that was rumored a few years back.

Interesting to see Outer Hanks is still unchanged, despite some of the other parks changing theirs up (specifically Kings Island). Still wish it was still operating as a Bubba Gumps at the time of the Deep South Trip, as I would've been able to add another one to my Bubba Gumps credit count...

From my knowledge, it was never bubba gumps. I only remember Kings Dominion to have one (the only other paramount park I went to at the time)

^ They really need another B&M. Are there any other details that were included in the rumor?

Only details where is that there would maybe be a smaller coaster project for 2014. In other news, Carowinds also wants to build their own resort ( In the next 2 years) , and there would be a Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant.

Personally, I think the park has enough B&M coasters for now, an Intamin Rocket coaster or Premeir Launched coaster would fit the park the best.

Wow those are some crazy wait times! 3.5 hours for Nighthawk?! Intimidator didn't even have that long of a line on its opening weekend. Glad you had a good time though and great to hear Thunder Road is racing. I will have to get there later in the season.

Wow those are some crazy wait times! 3.5 hours for Nighthawk?! Intimidator didn't even have that long of a line on its opening weekend. Glad you had a good time though and great to hear Thunder Road is racing. I will have to get there later in the season.

Nighthawk doesn't have very good operations, due to the fact that it seems they dispatch a train every 6 minutes. During the weekdays like Tuesday and Thursday, the longest I have waited is only One Hour.

• 3 weeks later...

From Screamscape

Carowinds will celebrate the park’s 40th Birthday this Saturday (June 1st) offering admission to guests for just $40 and there will be cake. A big one that will be shared for free for the first 400 guests. Special events will happen throughout the day ending with a fireworks show at 10pm.

As part of the celebration new entertainment has been added to the park throughout the summer. The Marvelous Mutts will perform June 10-16 in the Intimidator infield, King BMX Show from June 27-30 in Cobra Plaza, Gradfest on June 14, Return to Pirate Island in Boomerang Bay July 8-14, and interactive Peanuts character meals from July 15-19.

For those that remember Dani Swords that used to be the PR director and was there one year when TPR came to town, she is now Dani Swords King and the King BMX show is her husbands team, so if you want to stalk Dani again this is your chance. lol

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going to Hilton Head in Mid August. I think we're going to stop by Carowinds on the way down. It's a few hours out of our way. Is it worth it? What are some of the highlights of this park? Any suggestions?

Also, we'll probably stay a night in Charlotte. Is there anywhere else in town we should see? Good food?

Carowinds offers about 14 credits depending on how you count Thunder Road and if you can get the small kiddie coaster (must have a child to ride).

It's a nice park overall, Intimidator and Afterburn are outstanding, and the rest of the coasters are pretty standard fare.

I'd also recommend taking the light rail downtown, there's plenty of good restaurants, (I recommend Mert'swhich is good soul food), museums, places to see and overall Charlotte has a very walkable and clean downtown. Visit http://www.ridetransit.org light rail info, but you could catch it at I-485 and South Blvd, and ride it all the way in to downtown. It's a good way to see part of the city, and enjoy downtown. Plus South End has a lot of cool places too.

I think you should stop. Charlotte is a really nice city with things to do and the park is really nice too. Hit Nighthawk at opening to avoid lines. Everything else moves reasonably well. Worth a couple hours out of the way travel.

They shouldn't be too bad. Get there right at park opening and go to Nighthawk. Make you way then from there to the Intimidator. If the Intimidator has a wait over an hr. than you might want to consider Fast Passes. After Intimidator, go thru Planet Snoopy to get to Afterburn. After Afterburn, head down to Thunder Road, it should be open now. If not, take a ride on our looping ship, Southern Star. After Thunder Road you have hit the parks 4 best coasters. The rest kf the coasters never have more than a 40 minute wait so you can pick and choose what you ride. One more thing, BEWARE OF HURLER

^That's an amazing pic of Afterburn! Love that color.

How bad will wait times be on a Sunday the third week of July? I'm going for the first time.

Sundays normally aren't very busy. The worst wait will be Nighthawk, hit it first. Honestly after that most rides will be in the 10-15 minute wait time.

Have fun! Also you can get free cups of water at any food stand/restaurant. You'll need this to stay hydrated in our lovely heat.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you had a good time, edh, and didn't get a fast pass beforehand. I stopped by for a few hours on Sunday and the crowds were light. All the lines were very manageable and I don't think there was more than a 10-15 minute wait for anything, except Nighthawk. I only ride Nighthawk about once every year or two when I'm either at an enthusiast event or taking someone to the park for the first time.

I am trying to get some credible scoop as to what is coming for 2014. If I hear anything, I'll post it here.

I'm new to TPR's forums but I live close to Carowinds so go throughout the year. I see some previous questions about Scarowinds, which I love - it's a great event but VERY busy. You can find a couple of entries in my travel blog on Scarowinds (not that I'm trying to put a plug in for it - if needed, I can post that information directly here).

I hope you had a good time, edh, and didn't get a fast pass beforehand. I stopped by for a few hours on Sunday and the crowds were light. All the lines were very manageable and I don't think there was more than a 10-15 minute wait for anything, except Nighthawk. I only ride Nighthawk about once every year or two when I'm either at an enthusiast event or taking someone to the park for the first time.

I am trying to get some credible scoop as to what is coming for 2014. If I hear anything, I'll post it here.

I'm new to TPR's forums but I live close to Carowinds so go throughout the year. I see some previous questions about Scarowinds, which I love - it's a great event but VERY busy. You can find a couple of entries in my travel blog on Scarowinds (not that I'm trying to put a plug in for it - if needed, I can post that information directly here).

Welcome to TPR! Glad to meet another enthusiast who lives near Carowinds! What is your favorite ride?

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Palmer! Great shot of Afterburn as your avatar. I'm happy to have Carowinds as my home park. It has a decent selection of coasters and rides. What are your favorite rides in the park?

My obvious favorite ride is Intimidator. In fact, as we continue to travel and experience more parks and coasters, it remains in my top 5, primarily because I'm an air time junkie. I'm hard pressed to find another steel coaster with the amount of air time that Intimidator gives. Afterburn is also a great coaster, and often underrated, primarily because Carowinds hasn't done much to make itself a travel destination beyond Intimidator. Other than Woodstock Express, the rest of the coasters in the park are average, at best. They really need a great woody.

But getting away from coasters, my favorite ride is Boo Blasters. While it's not as good as Spiderman or WWHP at IOA, it's hard to go wrong with a classic Sally shooting dark ride.

EDIT: Wow, how could I miss the flyers? They are also a favorite of mine!

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Palmer! Great shot of Afterburn as your avatar. I'm happy to have Carowinds as my home park. It has a decent selection of coasters and rides. What are your favorite rides in the park?

My obvious favorite ride is Intimidator. In fact, as we continue to travel and experience more parks and coasters, it remains in my top 5, primarily because I'm an air time junkie. I'm hard pressed to find another steel coaster with the amount of air time that Intimidator gives. Afterburn is also a great coaster, and often underrated, primarily because Carowinds hasn't done much to make itself a travel destination beyond Intimidator. Other than Woodstock Express, the rest of the coasters in the park are average, at best. They really need a great woody.

But getting away from coasters, my favorite ride is Boo Blasters. While it's not as good as Spiderman or WWHP at IOA, it's hard to go wrong with a classic Sally shooting dark ride.

EDIT: Wow, how could I miss the flyers? They are also a favorite of mine!

Boo Blasters is one of my favorites as well, Great fun when it's a hot day! I love Intimidator and Afterburn as well, and also like Thunder Road, it's been better than ever because of the GCI retracking. The flyers are gear as well. I am really excited for the future of the park. After two "meh" additions to the park, I am ready for a great new flat ride or coaster. I really would like to see a Premier or Intamin launched coaster, as I feel that would help round out our coaster collection. I look forward to discussing Carowinds with you in the future!