TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I do have to say, however, that Carowinds has just a generally better "feel" than KD to me. KD has some superior rides, but I always just seem to end the day happier and in a better mood after a visit to Carowinds. I can't say what it is, but the name Kings Depression comes to mind whenever I think of the two parks. I just really, really like Carowinds.

^Yeah I agree with you on the KD/Carowinds thing. Even though i305 is my #1 steel coaster, I would still rather go to Carowinds than KD. Visiting them both on their opening weekends in 2010 really showed how night and day they were. Carowinds almost had "perfect" operations for an opening day, while KD's was....well....BAD. I just didn't get how different the two parks were operations wise. Heck, I went to 4 CF parks in 2010 and KD was almost like a ghetto carnival compared to the operations of the other three. Really want to visit Carowinds again this season even though they haven't added a new coaster since my last visit.

I don't really think in all my visits over the last 30 years that the place (KD) ever ran "efficiently" or up to max potential. I visited Carowinds once on Labor Day weekend a few years back and was quite impressed with the whole atmosphere and operations of the park. I think it has to do with being in the "South". There seems to be a more relaxed aura down that way.

I like Kings Dominion....but I love Carowinds. Both parks have certain rides I would take out & both parks have rides I ride everytime. Afterburn & Intimidator make the park a must see for tourist. I live about an hour and a half from Carowinds and about 4 hours from Kings Dominion. I went to KD 4 times during the season & Carowinds 9. Everything seems to go smoother at Carowinds & the park has a more relaxed layout.

And people are talking about how newer rides to Carowinds are on the South Carolina side of the park. It doesn't mean Cedar Fair is showing favoritism to that state, hence the park address being "14523 Carowinds Boulevard, Charlotte, NC".

It all bals down to it being cost effective when it comes to tax breaks and permits when building in SC. Thats why pretty much all major attractions, as of lately, have been built on the SC side...

• 3 weeks later...
I mean the rides are built where there is room. But some idiotic people think that CF is showing favoritism for South Carolina. Both states claim the park, but if it came down to it, the park is in North Carolina.

I don't think they are favoring SC. Though it's a bit too much of a coincidance that most of the new rides are in the SC side, though it might be just because of space and/or cheaper taxes in SC.

Wasn't Carolina Cobra on the NC side? As well as Ricochet? Technically, the park is 1/3 in NC and 2/3 in SC, so it would make sense to have most stuff in SC.

Carolina Cobra & Ricochet are on the NC side.

Though, the 2 major coasters: Intimidator & Afterburn are in the SC side. Nighthawk, the 3rd largest is mostly on the SC side, I believe it crosses the border. Then, Thunder Run crosses between states, with the station & lift on the SC side. That leaves Carolina Cobra, Carolina Cyclone, & Hurler being the major coasters on the NC side and they're not really the greatest coasters.

^Vortex I'd call major as well.

But really, you put things where there's space. Much of the NC side is taken up by a waterpark and a concert pavilion. There' little room to add things there unless they tear down Goldrusher, which I suppose is possible.

Vortex is major alright...a major pain to ride.

KD also just went vertical on Friday. I'm glad to see that they are on the same schedule. Hopefully, they both finish on time and have the rides ready to go by opening day unlike last year! Considering that both Carowinds at KD started going vertical 2 months earlier than the 2011 Windseekers, it is looking likely!

Opening day is March 31st for Carowinds and April 6th (Good Friday) for Kings Dominion.