TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best/Worst Sledding Experience

DBru

What is the best or worst time you have ever had while sledding?

My best was the two nights ago, we hooked up 5 sleds together in a row. I was in the very back. The first person pulled over the steep hill, and by the time everyone else had gone down, I was up in the air, holding on for my life! Now, that might sound scary, but it was AWESOME! Felt just like going down the first hill in the back seat of a roller coaster...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:

My family used to live next to a HUGE hill, so I got my toboggan-sled-thingy and went to the top of the cul-de-sac, where the hill started. I jump-started and went from the top cul-de-sac in the neighborhood to the second-closest to the entrance. That's about a 1000 foot-long sled adventure.

It was AWESOME..

Worst:

I went down the same hill and went straight into a bush of thorns halfway down. It sucked.

best: last year at paoli peaks, the hill was complete ice and about 5 tubes hooked up together and went all the way to the end of the run.

Worst: this whole year, not a single good snow. I think we got 3 inches once. I hate Indiana weather (this current snow storm missed my town by 2 hours, Paoli had 10 inches. And hour south had 6)

My worst happened last week, me and a couple of my freinds decided to go tubbing, the hill we were on had trees on both sides, and all four of us pack into the tube and go down, BAD idea. we started going towards the forest, and we bailed from the tube, another bad idea, I slid nuts first into a tree and my freind broke his finger.

My buddies and I used to tie ropes between two GTs. That was always interesting. One guy would wipe out, and then eventually the guy in front would would run out of rope. The results were pretty spectacular.

Worst sledding experience was when I was 17. Tubing on a really nasty hill. It dipped, leveled off, and then dropped over. That middle portion always produced massive airtime. I was on the bottom of a tube, with three guys, me on the bottom. We launched off that hump, the tube didn't come with us. I landed on my chest, the two guys landed on top of me. Dislocated my collar bone, tucking it an inch in and an inch over, so that my clavicle was behind my sternum pinching off a vein going to my left arm.

Few days in hospital, many x-rays, one botched cat-scan, one successful cat-scan, a trip to the operating room, and 4 months of recovery and I was good as new.

This is what they had to do to get it corrected: Hosptial report

Best:- 3rd-10th feb in France. I can't remember the day, but it had just snowed, so it was all powdery. All of my mates on the trip dared me to climb up this 100ft hill (honestly!) and go down it on a Bum-board (tiny sled!). I went down at what felt like 100000MPH and hit this Dutch family walking to their apartment and started to hurl abuse at me in this foreign language (no offence to any dutch people out there - you rock!)!

worst:- on the same trip, I hit this jump & landed on a patch of ice, fracturing my coxic which put me out for two weeks

Yes I've been sledding over at my relatives house in PA. I guess this can count as both a good and bad experience.

The hill behind the neighborhood of my relatives is normally a corn field during the summer, however during the winter, its prime sledding/tubing ground. So on my first time sledding back when I was 11, about to go down the big hill, and the first time is always the best. However, my cousins forgot to tell me that there was a ditch at the bottom. So, I crash through a bunch of snow and land into a frozen ditch. Lovely...

...though I want to do it again.

This one time, I went sledding at my friend's house and her hill was next to her driveway, so when they plowed the driveway, it would create a nice starting drop to the hill. Anyways, I grabbed a sled and propped it up on top of the hill and got on, and my friend gave me a push. I started sledding down and I needed the bottom of the hill, I noticed I was getting really close to this large bush.

Just before my sled ran over the bush, I bailed, but it was so funny. The bush, however, did not survive. The sled crushed it.

And then, another time, another friend and I were sledding at a confirmation retreat, and we asked her dad if there was a jump in our way, and he said no, so we went. Anyways, apparently there was a jump and we (we are both smaller in size) went flying.

My worst experience was when I was younger. Me and my cousins went sledding on a hill behind their house. Unfortunately, it was also a cow grazing area. I was holding on to the sides of the sled as we went down the hill. My hand hits a frozen pile of cow poo breaking my knuckle. Yes, I broke my hand on frozen cow poo. Moral of the story...don't sled where cows poo.

I've never had a bad sledding experience myself, but I will share what happened to my friend. One time we were at a huge hill, roughly 200 feet tall, and it is a very popular sledding hill. So he goes down the hill and raches the bottom and stops out in the middle of a frozen swampy area. It was pretty routine, up until the point where the ice cracked and he was floating in his tube with his ass poking into the ice-cold water. So we had to throw a huge stick out to him and haul him back.

My best- same hill, but different spot. We discovered a part of the hill that was pretty close to an 80 degree angle around 50 feet tall. We sled on it. It pwned.

This hill is going to be in a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and directed by Martin Scorcese in 2009, just in case you don't believe me.

My best sledding experience was back in 2001 at Mammoth, California. My friend and I found a nice hill hidden in the woods. We took a couple of shovels and spent the next 5 days digging a 100 yard long luge, complete with banked turns. The thing was absolutely sick. My parents couldn't believe that we had dug this thing out and thought that we should charge admission for it. The best was when you would get turned backwards and fly up the banked turns that way. I've got some pictures of it stashed away somewhere (I had to take pictures, or none of my friends would have believed that I made this beast), I'll try to find them and post them. That was definitely my sledding masterpiece.

-Doug

My best experience sledding one also my worst. My friend had this huge about 50ft hill in neighborhood. We took one of those plastic toboggans to sled on. We had been there earlier in the day and we had found out it was a bit rocky which made it a bit painful. We put a lot of snow on the sled to pad our butts, to prevent getting a rock up our a$$. As we were sledding down the hill we ran off course and ran over a small pine. I had realized I didn't have the rope for the sled in my hand. The rope got caught on a small tree stump and the sled came to a sudden stop. I don't remember what happened after that all my friend and I remember was getting off the ground with about an inch of snow on our backs and saying, "what just happened?"We immediately started laughing after it. When we went to go get the sled we noticed all the snow we had on the sled was gone.

We were laughing about it for the rest of the day.

Best attempt at one: We tried to make a full loop out of snow and tried to ice the thing over with a hose at a school playground, back when it had a good sized hill. (hill's gone now)

Best: Me and one of my friends used to pack snow on his slanted driveway and his front steps and sled down them, sledding down the stairs, we always manage to stop before we hit the tree in his front yard.

Worst and one of the better ones: I did a 720 while going down the playground sled hill, knocked over 4 kids going down...bruised my right eye and nose. It was worth it though, and oddly fun too.

I don't really remember having an actual sled when I was a kid, so my worst sledding experiences would probably involve trying to use stuff as sleds that didn't work:

-garbage can lids (even if they didn't have handles, they always got stuck)

-boxes (got wet too fast)

- And I remember one particular winter... our driveway had a slight slope to it, and there was leftover vinyl siding in the garage... so we tried to snowboard. It actually kind of worked!

Worst sledding experience... I must have been about 10 or so. We were at a ski hill resort and near the chalet they had these runs set up that you could ride your sleds down. So i jumped into one on my magic carpet that I had at the time. Didn't know that there were jumps made of built up snow however at the bottom. Don't know how far I launched or how high but I think I nearly killed myself when I finally landed. Moral of the story is to look before you leap.

Best sledding - only because it didn't happen to me!

We were staying at a ski resort and whilst in the bar two or three blokes also staying there thought it would be a great idea to sled down the (rather huge) garden slope on one sled. So they all piled onto this tiny kiddie disc sledge thing and sled down the hill - great fun! But then their mates decided that they wanted a go so about six or seven got on this little sledge thing and sled down the hill!

Two fell off at the start and the rest hit the only tree in the whole garden which stopped them skiing for the rest of the holiday due to their massive bruises!

It was absolutely brilliant - for us anyway!

Oh and just if you are wondering - they didn't mind not skiing that much they just sat at the bottom of the slope and drank gluewein...

Worst sledding experience:

When I was about 8 or so, there was a sledding hill that was kinda dangerous as there were a nice amount of trees on the sides and loads of thorny bushes at the end. Some people built a ramp, and I went over it, but I accidentally landed on a kid who was lying under the ramp, who was injured. His hip was broken, and I may have aggravated the injuries. But the thing is that I used an Inner Tube, which those things go FAST, and you can't steer it. Not only that, I couldn't see him at all. The ramp was two to three feet high, and his friends still yelled at me. I had no way of preventing it given the situations.

Best:

I was innertubing down this huge hill, and while we were climbing up it, someone decided to build a jump at the bottom. We didn't realize we were gonna hit a jump until about halfway down, so we were shocked. We went airborn, probably about 6 feet or so, and as we were coming down, my friend hit a chick. Funniest thing I've seen in my life.

Worst:

On the same hill, 3/4 the way down, I hit a tree going full speed. Ouch!

---Brent