TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point / Geauga Lake questions

So, now that we have had to cancel our WDW trip we are thinking of possible other trips we could possibly do.

Unfortunately we probably won't be able to do any trips that are already planned because of work stuff. No Dells or PPP. So, the only weekend we really have to do a trip is my Birthday Weekend Aug. 19th through 22nd.

So looking at possible trips for that weekend, I thought of CP, plus flights to Cleveland look to be cheaper than to anywhere else.

The plan I had was Geauga Lake on Friday, CP on Saturday and Sunday and something else close on Monday (Or a 3rd day at CP).

But, researching this trip has brought up a few questions:

1. Does Breakers Express also allow for early entry into Cedar Point?

2. What are the best (cheapest and clean) hotels to stay in near Geauga lake.

3. I know CP isn't the best park to go to on a Saturday, but realistically how bad will it be?

4. Is 2 full days (Saturday and Sunday) enough for CP for people who have never been?

5. What other area parks could we do on Monday that would allow us to get back to Cleveland airport by about 5pm? Or would it be better to just have 2 1/2 days at the point?

6. Would it be better to do another park on Saturday morning, CP on Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday and all day Monday?

This trip is in NO WAY set in stone, or even penciled in a calendar. Kristi and I really haven't discussed it other than a "Hey, what about CP that weekend". I've just been slow at work today and had some time to do some reasearch.

Gregg "Still PISSED that we won't be going to WDW this year ... " C.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early Entrance

Cedar Point Resorts guests can enter the park one-half hour before it's opened to the general public to ride select coasters, including (when available).Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force. During your stay you may pick up an early entrance pass at the front desk. The pass recognizes that you and your party are guests of our hotels/campground and therefore allows you to enter the park prior to the general public. For entry times during our operating season, please contact our reservations office at (419) 627-2106 or email us.

_ the breakers express was listed on the site as a resort so im guessin you do get early entrance.

When I emailed CP , I was told that weekends are the busy times.

2 days should be enough... exspecialy for Dragster, because you never know if the things going to be working.. And also Millennium Force, because the thing was getting stuck on the lift hill all day when i was there..

Breakers Express does indeed allow for early entry...or at least did last year when we stayed there. (Not that it mattered any...we ran straight to TTD, which then proceeded, right before we boarded, to break down for four hours.) I don't know if you can still get a package for those dates on the CP Website, but you might have a look. Our package deal at BE was a really good deal.

I would definetly recommend 2 days at the point. But if you are willing to drive, Kennywood is 2 hours away from GL, and 3 from CP. Great little park, and honestly is doable in 1/2 day, but would recommend a full day there. As a traditional park, it's very easy to overlook.

But yeah can you do GL, KW, CP? That is a great round up of parks. Or PKI is about 3 hours west. So it's up to you what you want to ride.

CP shouldn't be seriously packed, but you never know. It is the end of summer, and a lot of kids are going back to school that next week, not a lot of prople with kids take a vacation that late in the summer. I sure don't.

Hope you trip works out.

Katie

Good decision, Nemmy. If you didn't already know, go to the Soak City parking lot, and get in the entrance by Magnum. Note: I recommend buying your tickets at BE. You get a discount on the tickets, and it'll save time at the gates.

P.S. I see you still have Grizz in your TT avatar.

1. Does Breakers Express also allow for early entry into Cedar Point?

Sure does.

2. What are the best (cheapest and clean) hotels to stay in near Geauga lake.

There are some decent hotels in Elyria and it isn't too far. Check it out on Travelocity or the site of your choice.

3. I know CP isn't the best park to go to on a Saturday, but realistically how bad will it be?

It can be pretty damn bad! Especially that time of the year. The good news is that no matter how bad it is, 2 days will be plenty. The ops at Cedar Point are excellent and runmost of the rides very well (Millenium Excluded)

4. Is 2 full days (Saturday and Sunday) enough for CP for people who have never been?

Plenty. You should be able to get some waterpark time or beach time in there too. Maybe opt for the twilight coupon one night and full day the other. BOGOs are available on the Cedar Point site for Twilight passes.

5. What other area parks could we do on Monday that would allow us to get back to Cleveland airport by about 5pm? Or would it be better to just have 2 1/2 days at the point?

There isn't much else except CP and GL, but I would highly recommend the R&R Hall of Fame if you are a music nut.

6. Would it be better to do another park on Saturday morning, CP on Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday and all day Monday?

If I had to go those three days, I would probably opt for:

Friday: Soak City / CP Twilight Pass

Saturday: Geauga Lake (This park has had pretyt low attendance and would probably be the best Sat. choice)

Sunday: Cedar Point all day. The crowds will really start to thin out in the evening

Let me know your final plans (if any). I live about 1.5 from GL and 3 for CP, and would love to meet up.

I would recommend the same thing that Ted is. It is better to stay on-site at Cedar Point. Breakers Express would probably be the best at that time of year. I wouldn't go to Cedar Point on Saturday. Even on Geauga Lake's worst day, it has to be better than a Cedar Point Saturday.

Gyendolynne and I stayed at the Bertram Inn this year and last year we stayed at Geauga Lake Hotel. Both hotels are nice, but they are a little pricey. Check their rates. There is a putt-putt golf inside of Geauga Lake Hotel that might keep the kids attention along with video games, etc. Geauga Lake Hotel also offers breakfast, Bertram Inn is a little extra to get breakfast included with the room.

The extra things to do would be Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. Even though we were dissappointed by it, it might be something to see. Tickets were $20 for adults, I don't know what the price is for kids. There is also a science museum next door.

Check for a flight into Detroit also instead of Cleveland. It might be cheaper and it is just a little bit of a drive.

Good luck!

First of all, Gregg and Kristi..... I am SO SORRY to hear about your WDW What happened (if you don't mind my asking)???

So, on to your questions.....

I have never been to CP on a weekend, other than to arrive at the hotel on a Sunday and just go to dinner at the TGIF's at the Breakers. We have stayed at the Breakers Express and I HIGHLY recommend it. They have a nice pool and you do get early entry. It was our experience that not every "major" coaster is offered as part of the early entry, but it did allow us to get on a couple without much wait.

Also, because I know you have the little ones, I will also share that CP has what I consider to be the BEST and EASIEST "child swap" policy. When you enter the park you get a sheet of paper from Guest Relations that has every one of the "big rides" listed on it, with two spaces next to each. Now, let's say you want to ride Millenium Force and there's a 30 minute wait. You take the sheet of paper and get in the queue. And Kristi and the kids can go ride the train or walk around the frontier village or do some other attraction in the general area of MF. Then, they can come back and wait at the exit of MF for you to come off the ride. When you boarded you gave the sheet of paper (you will have written your name on it) to the ride op. When you exit the ride, Kristi goes up the ramp and gives the ride op your name. They pull it off their clipboard, or out of their pocket or whatever, initial it next to where it says MF, and then give it back to Kristi. Usually they board the waiting rider within 1-2 trains. It was a huge help to us when we went. Herb and I got to ride everything we wanted to and Sammi never had to stand and wait a long time while we did it.

As far as other parks/things to do, CP has their waterpark area, Soak City, and there may be a waterpark in the Cleveland area besides the one that is park of Geauga Lake, but I am not sure. There's Wyandot Lake, which is owned by Six Flags, but that is down in Columbus, which would be 2-2 1/2 hours south of Cleveland.

We really love CP.... there's a lot for families.... I haven't been to Geauga Lake for 20 years, but when Sea World used to be across the Lake from them, we would take Herb's older girls there (SW) almost every year. We stayed in various locations...over off of I-71 (not far from Hopkins airport) as well as over in the Twinsburg area.

Feel free to ask any other questions.... If I didn't have Jimmy Buffett tickets that Sunday night I would come up and meet you!!!

Shari

First, thank for all of the tips, VERY much appreciated.

Second, this will be a kids free trip (if it happens) so child swap, etc won't be an issue.

Third, tickets won't be an issue since we would just get CF AP's from Knott's before we go (We have coupon's for $60 Knott's AP's, don't ask us how ... )

Fourth, if we ended up flying into Detroit, is there another park on the way to CP that we could do on Friday Morning/Afternoon and just get to CP on Friday night? Then we would do GL on Saturday and CP on Sunday and Monday. Of course, flying into Detroit would mean less time at CP on Monday.

Regarding WDW, it's strictly a money issue. Our WDW hotel package was alot (even though that was paid for) but the cost of plane flights for the time we were going were heading up, instead of down and it was going to cost us close to $2000 to fly. So we decided we couldn't really swing that this year and are now looking for trips we can do with just the $$ we will get back from WDW now.

Thanks again for the awesome tips, hope this trip works out.

The only other thing I would suggest is Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon, but that will add more driving time. It is a park that can be done in a couple of hours and, depending on what time your plane lands in Detroit, it might be doable.

Like you said before, nothing is written in stone, or even in pencil. Have a look at all the options. Cedar Point is such a blast!

Fourth, if we ended up flying into Detroit, is there another park on the way to CP that we could do on Friday Morning/Afternoon and just get to CP on Friday night? Then we would do GL on Saturday and CP on Sunday and Monday. Of course, flying into Detroit would mean less time at CP on Monday.

I honestly can't think of a single park that would be reasonably close...maybe there's a Michigan reader who knows of one.......

One other thing, schools do start here in Ohio around this time, so I am not sure if that would effect the operating hours of any of the parks or not. Just make sure to check park hours before you make any definite plans.

Shari

Let me throw another thought out....

Have you looked into the possibility of flying into Dayton, Ohio???

You could hit PKI on Friday and then head north to GL and CP for the weekend. Monday, you could head straight down I-75 from Cedar Point back to the Dayton airport. It might be a little further drive than from Detroit, but would allow you to pick up an extra park and the Dayton airport is a breeze to get in and out of.

Shari "PLUS... I would get to meet you guys" Shoufler

Flights in to Crackron ... I mean Akron might be cheaper also. Columbus is only a 2 hour drive.

I though you guys were coming to NorCal for your birthday

I can answer any other questions you might have when I see you Sunday.

And don't forget, Coaster Mania 2006 at Cedar Point is June 2nd. So you might want to keep that in mind.

Dayton actually might be a possibility.

Found flights on Delta getting into Dayton at 10:19am connecting through Cincinnati for $319. Funny thing though, checked to see how much to just fly into Cinci and it's $484 for the same exact flights, just no connecting.

I will never understand how these airlines work.

Funny thing though, checked to see how much to just fly into Cinci and it's $484 for the same exact flights, just no connecting.

Welcome to my world!!! CVG (Greater Cincy airport is actually in northern Kentucky, don't ask) and is one of Delta's major hubs, like Hartsfield in Atlanta. You always pay more to fly out of there. Most of us (Cincy residents) will fly out of either Dayton, Louisville or Indy just to save a couple hundred bucks. It's pretty crazy to have a layover in your own airport, but that's what most people I know do!

For us, Dayton is no big deal, because where we live we are pretty much an equal distance between the two airports. Our last trip to Florida in 2001 we flew out of Dayton and I was really impressed that such a small airport handles so many major carriers.

Shari "Dayton is the birthplace of aviation!!" Shoufler

Other places to check out in Cleveland: MetroParks Zoo on the westside of Cleve is good. One thing about Cleveland I can 100% say: you will not run out of places to eat w/a variety of types.

Cleveland museum of Art is good. As Ted mentioned: the R&R hall of FAme.

There are a ton of hotels in a 5-10 miles radius of GL. In fact, the burbs of Cleve are covered w/them. Burb Names: Berea, Strongsville, Solon, Aurora, Parma. Motel 6, Amerihost, Raddison, Baymont to name a few.

Have a great time!

I figured I should post here rather than make a new topic on this.

----

I'm planning on making my second trip to CP with some friends on the tuesday/wednesday of the week after next. I'm coming from Cincinnati, so I'm wondering if a side trip to GL would be of an advantage. I'm planning on staying at Breakers express like I did last time, so I dont know if I'll have enough time to do something at GL, or if it would be better just to skip it and go straight to CP...

Reon: If you go to GL during the week, I can almost guarantee you will have no problem w/lines at GL. That place was a ghost town last year and from what i've seen of weekend traffic there this year, it should be empty during the week. you should be able to hit all the coasters there in like, 90 mins to two hours.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind, though I dont know if I can go anyway o.0; Something just occured to me though. My dad doesnt want to go back to CP (wimp was there with me last time though) so is there anything around there that he can do? Also, IF I go to GL, is there some sort of pass or deal that gets me into both Cedar Fair owned properties that I can use?

^We ran into the problem of season passes last year. We had a Cedar Point season pass and Geauga Lake wouldn't take it. On both websites, it states that you can "add on" Geauga Lake, or Cedar Point (if getting a GL season pass) for a certain price. We have a Cedar Point season pass and bought a one day ticket, around $25 to GL. It isn't that bad and we didn't plan on going to GL more than one day anyway.

If you had a Knotts, Dorney Park, or any other Cedar Fair park's season pass, you can get into both parks.