TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's 2007 Steel Coaster Poll Results

Hehehe ... include me, a guy in the middle of the Pacific, to rank Eagle Fortress in my top 3. I'm tempted to head over to Everland prior to the TPR China trip, but I'm unsure how to transport myself there without Robb/Elissa's assistance (plus other logistics).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite suprised by the results this year. Obviously a lot of you havr ridden Eagles Fortress and it must be good, the POV does look good (I must confess never to having heard of it).

I'm a bit gutted to see Nemesis drop from 3 to 6, especially that it's not even new coasters that have pushed it out! I really must get on Katun now if it's better than Nemesis.

As for others, Black Mamba at 30 is far too low. For me, it was nearly up there with Nemesis and should be between 10 and 15 at least.

I guess I sort of have to accept complaints from people who think MF ranks too highly in standard polls. But this is Mitch's poll. It's a devisive ride, but it ranks highly because a lot of people really like it.

It's actually my number one. And I am most certainly not a CP fan boy.

Regarding getting to Everland, its actually really easy. You got buses from Incheon airport and all over Seoul going to Everland.

http://www.everland.com/htm/MultiLanguage/english/htm/In/InTra.htm

Lotte World is really easy too. Jamsil station on the subway and you're there! In case anyone needs the Seoulland credits, I think they're easily accessible too, but I'll have to check which station.

Those of you who comment on not voting because of the amount of coasters you have ridden, I *think* there is an easy way around it. I have done it before in the one and only time I voted and that was to put them in ten-or-so groups, you know, a group of "outstanding coasters", "great coasters", "good coasters" all the way down to "lousy" and then you can rate every single one of your outstanding coasters as the number 1, every great coaster as number 2... I don't think there is anything in the poll stopping you having numerous ties.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me

^Pictures are hard to get, but here is a POV:

Yeah, Eagle Fortress Is one of the best coasters I have ever been on. I didn't have any ideas how the ride would be, but it really blew me away.

Even if we got a few good rides in the morning, the one I got later in the day was a lot better, just want to ride at night.

Holy crap. That's all I can say. Holy crap.

-Tanks "A Korea trip has just been dramatically increased in the list of priorities for foreign coaster trips that I will do in the future" 4me05.

I, like a couple others, didn't vote in the poll due to the sheer numbers involved.

JJ

It is a little disappointing that there are so many people with so much coaster experience who feel that it would be too difficult to vote and share their experience.

I will take some of the blame as it should be made clear that the most important part of filling out a ballot is just doing whatever you can. If you have ridden 650 steel coasters I can understand not wanting to take the time to fill out a full ballot. How about just your top 50?

Don't get me wrong, it is always better to list more of the coasters you have ridden. But when the alternative is not voting, please don't use the size of your track record as an excuse.

Rank whatever subset of your track record you feel comfortable doing and send it in. Your preferences among those top 50 will have just as much impact on their ranking as someone who filled out a ballot with 300+ coasters.

Eagle Fortress does look completely insane; it was a pity I couldn't do the Korea add-on last year (but I did have to get back after being gone nearly a month). It does look like it could be a BBW beater (the best of the suspended coasters I've ridden).

I understand the problems of ranking hundreds of coasters (my count is around 280, and I had problems myself). I'm only fairly sure of my top 20 and bottom 10 (everything in the middle tends to run together).

I can't believe Mystery Mine ranked so low, it's 95.

Dodonpa was 76, and there is no one here that could possibly make me think that it is in any way better than MM...

Woot! Montu representing!!

I've never heard about Eagles Fortress before, but watching that POV, I'd understand why it was ranked very well. Maybe not top 10 thought, but it did look really groovy. The last 10 seconds of the ride just looked like the train itself was gonna do a barrel roll. lol.

I, too, COMPLETELY agree with Eagle Fortress's placement in the poll.

I, like a couple others, didn't vote in the poll due to the sheer numbers involved.

However, Eagle Fortress really deserves it's place in the poll. Personally, I have it ranked at #4 (out of 670 steel).

Here's the story from my perspective, of the TPR trip there last September.

It was kind of cool and damp when we got there in the morning. We had ERT on Eagle Fortress. An Arrow suspended. Oh effen joy. Who cares. As we walked up, the little bit of the ride you can actually see, seemed rusted and dilapidated. Fine. Let's get the credit and move on.

With massive amounts of apprehension on everyone's part, we slowly filled the seats of the train. The lift hill was a bit steep, still not revealing much of the ride. At the top where we disengaged from the chain, we were near the outskirts of the parks' perimeter. The turnaround was maybe 8-10 feet off the ground. As the last car came off the chain and we started going downhill, everything that followed was bat-out-of-hell, WTF was that!!!

It just kept getting faster and faster, swinging wider and wider to both sides! Extremely smooth! We got back to the station and we were cheering. NOT a faux cheer, to please the host park (Everland) as can be common in many events, but a real cheer. The TPR people in the station who didn't make the first train, thought we were giving them the biggest BS of our lives.

Yet, from that moment on, everyone tried to get as many rides as possible (myself included). The train never went out with an empty seat after that. The thing was absolutely amazing!!

T-Express may be a large part of the draw for me to head back with TPR to Korea in September, but T-Express is still an unknown. Seriously, I could go back just for Eagle Fortress and be just as happy. It IS that good.

Think Big Bad Wolf's drop over the Rhine river. With NO trim brakes. No shuffling. Side to side, past vertical. For a full minute. It is amazing.

And, it's an Arrow! W-T-F???

JJ

That sounds awesome. I've always loved the Arrow inverts, and this seems to be the obvious king.

I am sad at the fact that Montu went down Sheikra is at the same spot. Oh well.

When I first got on MF i thought it was good just not that great. I don't see why is ranked so high, but oh well.

It's awesome to see a coaster like Eagle Fortress make a good comeback...well not comeback but be recognized. I think Everland has 2 jewels now and they could use these 2 coaster to draw people from other countries. It's funny to see Eagle Fortress become more popular than when it opened.

JJ

It is a little disappointing that there are so many people with so much coaster experience who feel that it would be too difficult to vote and share their experience.

I used the "helper" system for the steelie list this year and found it to be even more time consuming than the old-fashioned method. The hardest part for me is remembering what particular model some of the small coasters are and ranking them accordingly.

I really don't like grouping the "clones" into one ranking. There are numerous coasters where I like one particular version of a clone quite a bit more than ALL the other versions... and I either have to knock my favorite one down several notches, or I have to rank it where it would go and have everyone look at my list and think "boy, he really likes that type of coaster!" when the truth is that I really don't...

Having said that, I COMPLETELY understand why they are grouped, and it's probably better that way... but I don't have to like it!

I enjoyed Maverick, I see I wasn't alone according to the poll. I have to agree Eagle's Fortress does look rather good, and who can argue with all those experienced and well travelled riders who rate it.

I agree Millennium Force is a bit overrated, still better than most but the layout could of had more to it.

I can't believe Mystery Mine ranked so low, it's 95.

Dodonpa was 76, and there is no one here that could possibly make me think that it is in any way better than MM...

Have you actually been on Dodonpa? The launch and airtime hill were definitely the most insane 1-2 punch on a roller coaster that I have experienced, so I can see why people voted it as #76.

As for Eagle Fortress...count me as another person who easily places the ride in my top 10. A suspended coaster with airtime?!?! It's just insane.

I, too, COMPLETELY agree with Eagle Fortress's placement in the poll.

However, Eagle Fortress really deserves it's place in the poll. Personally, I have it ranked at #4 (out of 670 steel).

Here's the story from my perspective, of the TPR trip there last September.

It was kind of cool and damp when we got there in the morning. We had ERT on Eagle Fortress. An Arrow suspended. Oh effen joy. Who cares. As we walked up, the little bit of the ride you can actually see, seemed rusted and dilapidated. Fine. Let's get the credit and move on.

With massive amounts of apprehension on everyone's part, we slowly filled the seats of the train. The lift hill was a bit steep, still not revealing much of the ride. At the top where we disengaged from the chain, we were near the outskirts of the parks' perimeter. The turnaround was maybe 8-10 feet off the ground. As the last car came off the chain and we started going downhill, everything that followed was bat-out-of-hell, WTF was that!!!

It just kept getting faster and faster, swinging wider and wider to both sides! Extremely smooth! We got back to the station and we were cheering. NOT a faux cheer, to please the host park (Everland) as can be common in many events, but a real cheer. The TPR people in the station who didn't make the first train, thought we were giving them the biggest BS of our lives.

Yet, from that moment on, everyone tried to get as many rides as possible (myself included). The train never went out with an empty seat after that. The thing was absolutely amazing!!

T-Express may be a large part of the draw for me to head back with TPR to Korea in September, but T-Express is still an unknown. Seriously, I could go back just for Eagle Fortress and be just as happy. It IS that good.

Think Big Bad Wolf's drop over the Rhine river. With NO trim brakes. No shuffling. Side to side, past vertical. For a full minute. It is amazing.

And, it's an Arrow! W-T-F???

JJ

Jeff, thank you for taking the time to share your experience this way. Honestly, you defending others' votes for Eagle Fortress carried more weight than having you simply place a vote and never explain why you ranked a seemingly unknown ride as high as you did.

No offense to those who did vote, but explanations like this can sometimes add so much more when the results come in.

Joey, I haven't (I thought I said that?) ridden Dodonpa, but from every report I read it was extremely rough and uncomfortable. While I have ridden Mystery Mine (many times) and I found it to be smooth, fun, and VERY exciting!

Just wondering, what is the highest ranked Vekoma coaster? I see a lot of Intamins, B&M's, & Arrows, but where do the Vekomas come in?