TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WCPO: Kentucky passes new amusement ride legislation

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this is pointless! Had an 18 year old instead of a 16 year old been running the ride the same accident would have occured. I read that poor training at the park left the ride operator not knowing how to e-stop the ride.

-Jake

The article (and perhaps the new legislation) is quite vague. Is there a distinction between operators and attendants? I know similar laws are in place in MA, but attendants can be 16+ as long as they're not operating the main control panel of a ride (and are, therefore, not "in charge" of the attraction).

And the part about alcohol is interesting. I mean, it's completely reasonable, but why was this brought up in the wake of the accident?

Finally, some common sense. This bill is a good start, although I think that some sort of mandatory licensing is required. Bus drivers, taxi drivers, train engineers, pilots, boat captains, etc. need to be licensed, and since the courts have ruled that amusement park rides have the same "common carrier" status as buses, taxis, trains, planes, boats, etc., the licensing requirements should be similar.

Finally, some common sense. This bill is a good start, although I think that some sort of mandatory licensing is required. Bus drivers, taxi drivers, train engineers, pilots, boat captains, etc. need to be licensed, and since the courts have ruled that amusement park rides have the same "common carrier" status as buses, taxis, trains, planes, boats, etc., the licensing requirements should be similar.

But this law doesn't address the problem of under-trained ride operators. An untrained 18-year-old would likely act in the same way as an untrained 16-year-old.

Heck, the Amish let kids MUCH younger than 16 operate heavy equipment and they have few problems with this.

In all honesty, a good training program would work just fine for anyone 16 or 18 years old. How many 16-year-olds work in fast food, at family fun centers, etc.?

Proper training = Reliable employee

At any age...

Eric

I hate how people think that older means more mature. It's not the operators fault that the accident happened and it isn't their fault that they didn't e-stop the ride either. He didn't know how to stop the ride because of bad training . Having older operators won't help if they're still trained improperly. Instead of setting an age limit to operate a ride, the state should set guidelines for training.

Good safety judgement doesn't necessarily have anything to do with age, but they usually increase together. Requiring operators to be 18 doesn't hurt anything at all, though proper training really is the most important thing IMO. If you don't know how to reset an e-stop or haven't ever actually done it, you're probably a lot less likely to not hesitate to hit one when considering if a situation warrants it.

But this law doesn't address the problem of under-trained ride operators. An untrained 18-year-old would likely act in the same way as an untrained 16-year-old.

Heck, the Amish let kids MUCH younger than 16 operate heavy equipment and they have few problems with this.

As I said, this law is a good start, but we still need a licensing program which would insure proper training (just like we have for operators of other modes of transportation).

Training has a big impact on the performance of ride operators, but I think the responsibility in the individual person matters the most. On paper the increased age requirement makes a little bit of sense. But in reality, I think you're more likely to have an irresponsible 18 year old working at a theme park than an irresponsible 16 year old. A responsible 18 year old should be able to find a better paying job by that point. I know that's not true in all cases, but in general terms that's the way I see it.