TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags announces Six Flags Dubailand.

So I am to assume this is a similar deal like Tokyo Disneyland, where the name is licensed out? It will be interesting to see when the park is finished what the management believes is the ultimate image of the SF "brand" and how that is expressed through the attraction selection.

My general opinion of Dubai that it certainly is incredible about what they are scheduled to build there, but I wonder about how they are going to handle the cultural issues that are going to pop up with the increase in tourists?

http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/21/smuggle-poppy-seeds-face-jail/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English is widely spoken in these parts of the world.

Even in Baghdad the highway signs have been in both Arabic and ENglish even before the US invaded.

All of Europe and the East will vacation here.its closer then Orlando for them.

All these parks in one place.

you can swim and Ski in the same day.

Orlando will see a little decrease, see below

www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-cf ... 081.column

Does Dubai pose a threat to Orlando? \/

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2008/03/does-dubai-pose.html

^^^^^From Wikipedia:

The Economy of Dubai is valued at US$ 46 billion (2006). [1] The International Herald Tribune has described it as "centrally-planned free-market capitalism."[2] Although Dubai's economy was built on the back of the oil industry, [3] revenue from petroleum and natural gas currently account for less than 3% of the emirate's gross domestic product. Dubai became important ports of call for Western manufacturers. Most of the new city's banking and financial centres were headquartered in the port area. Dubai maintained its importance as a trade route through the 1970s and 1980s. The city of Dubai has a free trade in gold and until the 1990s was the hub of a "brisk smuggling trade" of gold ingots to India, where gold import was restricted.

Today, Dubai is an important tourist destination and port (Jebel Ali, constructed in the 1970s, has the largest man-made harbour in the world), but is also increasingly developing as a hub for service industries such as IT and finance, with the new Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). Transport links are bolstered by its rapidly-expanding Emirates Airline, founded by the government in 1985 and still state-owned; based at Dubai International Airport, it carried over 28 million passengers in fiscal year 2006 and 24 million the year before.

The government has set up industry-specific free zones throughout the city. Dubai Internet City, now combined with Dubai Media City as part of TECOM (Dubai Technology, Electronic Commerce and Media Free Zone Authority) is one such enclave whose members include IT firms such as EMC Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Microsoft, and IBM, and media organisations such as MBC, CNN, Reuters, ARY and AP. Dubai Knowledge Village (KV),an education and training hub, is also set up to complement the Free Zone's other two clusters, Dubai Internet City and Dubai Media City, by providing the facilities to train the clusters' future knowledge workers. Dubai Outsourcing Zone is for companies who are involved in outsourcing activities can set up their offices with concessions provided by Dubai Government. Internet access is restricted in most areas of Dubai with a proxy server filtering out sites deemed to be against cultural and religious values of the UAE - this includes any .il (Israeli) domains, and VoIP services are also illegal and usually blocked. However, areas served by TECOM (an internet service provider) are currently not filtered. This is expected to change early in 2007 according to the TRA (Telecom Regulatory Authority).

So I am to assume this is a similar deal like Tokyo Disneyland, where the name is licensed out?

Yea, that's what I was thinking when I first read this. Then I saw a bunch of people riping Six Flags' throat out for not "focusing on U.S. parks enough."

Wow, this seems like a good idea. But, why isn't this on the Six Flags webpape?

Maybe because it's not going to open for seven years. Just my guess

English is widely spoken in these parts of the world.

Even in Baghdad the highway signs have been in both Arabic and ENglish even before the US invaded.

All of Europe and the East will vacation here.its closer then Orlando for them.

All these parks in one place.

you can swim and Ski in the same day.

Orlando will see a little decrease, see below

www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-cf ... 081.column

Does Dubai pose a threat to Orlando? \/

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2008/03/does-dubai-pose.html

If Dubai poses a threat to Orlando than that means that Orlando should get in the game and let their imagination run wild. It would be cool to see Orlando come up with new concepts and start building cool attractions and buildings, i dunno, they should really compete and go head to head with Dubai.

^ I agree with you 100%. Orlando should lead the world in new ideas and really get there head in the game. The last major theme park to be built was in 1999 (Islands Of Adventure), that is almost 10 years of sitting back letting Dubai take there title. Now is crunchtime; time to expand.

... I'm just praying for Orlando's sake that Disney does not go to Dubai too.

I honestly don't think that this will have that much of an affect on Orlando. Dubai and Orlando are practically directly across the world from each other. The only people Orlando would lose are middle to upper Upper Class Americans who have the money to go to Dubai, and Orlando's European tourists. Even then, it sure seems as if it would be cheaper to go to Orlando than Dubai.

Sorry to be negative, just a strange opinion here.

(But as 'yall' know, I am strange!)

Getting more and more American/European dollars/companies involved in this is just opening the door for terrorism. Seems a little far fetched right now, but just wait...

This is probably the most amazing project the world will see in our lifetime, and what better way for these extremists to be seen, especially since they can move around so easily in the entire region... Hope it never happens, but if things get built as planned, give it 10 years, if that. They'll find a way to blame the U.S. of poisoning Arab embodiment with western capitalism. And God-forbid we're still in Iraq then.

I couldn't go there anyway, but if I could, I would say "no thanks, looks pretty though." I seriously doubt this would be a threat to Orlando, its one major pain in the buttocks to travel to the Mid-east from here, so I'm told by my friends that go there frequently.

^I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw some of the surrounding nations, but didn't want to bring up the topic. I mean, look at Iraq, its only a couple thousand miles away. Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Iran, its surrounded!

This is why I don't understand the attraction to the area or the reason for growth. For native born people, what's happening in the area is great. It's creating jobs, moving money, creating an economy to last far beyond its oil income (which probably won't dry out for another 50 years anyway), but taking away travelers from Florida? I don't see it happening. It is a major pain in the ass to travel to this area, a good friend of mine who's a soldier in Iraq right now has to take like 4 planes just to travel between there and America. On top of that, everything is pretty much man-made, meaning, this could essentially be built anywhere in a gulf.

This looks like it will be perfect for people in the surrounding areas so they don't have to fly all the way to America to visit a huge theme park area, I just don't know if it's (a) cheap enough for the typical middle class American to spend a week there and (b) desirable enough for the people that can afford it to want to spend their money, or spend time there.

If I had the choice right now or even in 10 years, I'd much rather go somewhere else...

It is a major pain in the a$$ to travel to this area, a good friend of mine who's a soldier in Iraq right now has to take like 4 planes just to travel between there and America.

I'm not sure this is an issue. Traveling to Iraq right now can't be compared to much else - it's not exactly a typical destination spot. Dubai is going to be a huge destination in five years, and, if there aren't any already, there will be plenty of directly flights from a bunch of US cities. I can definitely see myself taking a trip there when the parks and surrounding area are developed.

As far as everything else is concerned, I see nothing but good coming from this for Six Flags. It's a great move that will provide them with great profits and little risk.

Just my two cents.

its one major pain in the buttocks to travel to the Mid-east from here, so I'm told by my friends that go there frequently.

I don't know.. fly to Atlanta or New York. Then fly directly to Dubai. US citizens (as well as those from many major European and Asian countries) can stay up to 30 days without a visa.

Doesn't seem too hard for me if you've got a passport and the money!

Even though I think this will be a great addition to the UAE economy, I really don't think that Six Flags has enough money to actually build a new park. They are very close to bankruptcy thanks to the recent recession and as a Six Flags stockholder, I know that their stock is under two dollars a share. I don't even know if they can pay off the debt they already have let alone building an entirely new park.

^THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR THIS PARK. They are getting paid to design and run this park. This will actually help reduce their debt load. They have already started to be paid and will be getting paid every year until December 2011 when the park is scheduled to open.

BTW, In the quarter conference call, Season Passes from current Six Flags parks will get you in the SFD.

I'm not surprised Six Flags has made that move. With the big boom news of the Giant Sea World/Busch Gardens, I knew eventually Six Flags would come in.

I'm sure it's a really great idea to build a theme park in one of the most tourist-y destinations on Earth. I'm not sure how many people visit a year, but if it adds up, I'm sure it's gonna benefit Six Flags real well. Provided they can keep good conditions to their maintenance.

I think Dubai has enough theme parks.

Enough? Ha! No place, not even Dubai, could EVER have enough parks! We could very easily spend over a week in Dubai alone visiting JUST parks at this rate. That's pretty good for one city, if I do say so myself. That's enough to begin to rival Tokyo in terms of sheer "park density."

• 2 months later...

Found this on ScreamScape, Dubailand Master Plan. Not a whole lot of info, but still some fun stuff.

Six Flags Dubailand, the five million square feet multi-billion dirham theme park within the world’s largest tourism, leisure and entertainment destination, has announced the conceptual master plan has been developed.

The first phase of the project is expected to be ready in 2011 and the theme park will receive three million visitors per year.

With an estimated 30 family rides, including the brand’s signature as well as newly developed rides, the master plan for Six Flags Dubailand incorporates design elements as well as other components such as retail and food outlets. Tatweer will break ground for the project in 2009.

Additionally, the Six Flags Corporate Alliance Division will represent Dubailand for international corporate sponsorship opportunities.

Mohammed Alhabbai, CEO Dubailand, said: “We are proud to announce the development of the concept master plan which demonstrates our commitment to add unique facets to Dubailand in partnership with globally renowned brands. Our relentless efforts will continue to expedite the pace of the project even as other components of Dubailand are fast taking shape.”

Tatweer and Six Flags Dubailand also will work together to integrate their expertise to create new concepts across the region, such as Six Flags theme parks, branded restaurants, hotels and retail outlets that will holistically offer unique travel and vacation opportunities for tourists, families and visitors worldwide.

Andrew Schleimer, Executive Vice President of Strategic Development & In-Park Services for Six Flags, said: “We are very excited about concept masterplan that will facilitate other works to commence. The project will be one of the key additions to the Dubailand destination and we are privileged to play a vital role in advancing Dubai’s ambitious tourism targets.”

The first Six Flags project to be developed outside of North America, the theme park comes as part of Tatweer’s tactical contribution to Dubai Strategic Plan 2015, which aims to develop the emirate into a leading global hub for tourism and leisure.

Featuring its signature line-up of thrill and themed adventure rides and attractions, Six Flags Dubailand will boast world renowned entertainment franchises such as the children's musical group Wiggles and professional skateboarder Tony Hawk. The park’s unique components will complement Six Flags’ award-winning productions and original programming, such as Operation Spygirl, the 'Big E' Entertainment Award recipient at the 2007 IAPAA Trade Show and Convention.

I think Dubai has enough theme parks.

Enough? Ha! No place, not even Dubai, could EVER have enough parks! We could very easily spend over a week in Dubai alone visiting JUST parks at this rate. That's pretty good for one city, if I do say so myself. That's enough to begin to rival Tokyo in terms of sheer "park density."

yeah I guess you are right. I just think they should do it phase by phase, just like Orlando. See if it works out good with their first parks and then built more later on. I dunno.

• 1 year later...

Six Flags, like a lot of the other park being considered (Busch, Sea World, WB, etc.) were not actually putting out money. Moreso they were just licensing their name.

Doesn't matter now though, since nearly every project has either been put on hold or totally cancelled.

I read an article lately that said alot of projects in dubai, not only theme parks but all projects have been canceled or put on hold due to lack of funding. The economic bubble is supposedly going to burst in dubai very quickly and unexpectedly. I'm beginning to think that if any parks are going to follow through wiith these projects its going to be ahuge loss.

• 3 months later...

Dubai is in a major debt crisis right now, so I have to imagine that it will have some effect on SFD. To my understanding though, the park will be owned and managed by a Dubai based financial institution and will only be branded as a Six Flags park. Similar to McDonalds or Wal Mart.

Now considering the firm with the money is a Dubai based firm that has a large presence in the financial aspect of the country, they will most definitely be effected by the crisis.

Pardon me if I mixed "affected" and "effected", though I think I am right.