TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain Museum

Now you can go up the tower to enjoy real life RCT fantasies and look at a huge collection of unique park history? Awesome.

I mean, I've never sat up there for hourse pretending to pick mechanics up and drop them... never!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the risk of sounding greedy...do we know if SF is planning on making a museum in their other parks?

This wasn't really a 'six flags' thing, more a magic mountain one, an employee suggested it, there's a video on the daily news website.

Is that a model of Great American Scream Machine? Or is it a model of an early design of Viper?

I remember seeing that model at Arrow's booth at the IAAPA convention. It was on display right along side the Ninja model which opened in 1988. Shock Wave at Six Flags Great America also opened in 1988 so I would assume that it is a model of Shock Wave and it was repainted and used as a promotional piece for Viper.

Funny you mention that, I just walked passed the Ninja model you spoke of today. It looks pretty sweet. Just got repainted, like its real-life counterpart.

Anyway, yeah, you guys are all right. Shockwave, GASM, and Viper are all sister-coasters. Viper, the tallest and fastest of the three, takes its layout-inspiration from the other two. This will be explained in the museum.

-Jahan

Don't forget the little 'baby Viper' they have at Darien Lake in New York. I believe that was the first (and smallest) one.

I think putting a museum in ANY amusement park is almost a no-brainer, especially when most parks have a super rich history that most park fans find interesting. I love that stuff, and have always been a "special features DVD" kind of guy. When so much concept art is created for rides and park sections, it is almost insane to not have a place to show it off. And honestly, what can't go into a museum? Whether it be a wheel from freefall or Dell Holland's shrunken head, it all is interesting in the end.

One interesting note was that there is an early concept drawing of Viper showing a level left-hand turnaround after the lift, then a straight drop down and climb into the first loop. That was in place of the curving first drop that Viper actually ended up having.

Eric

I think this picture is inside the guest relations building (the one INSIDE the park towards the lockers, not the one by flashback.)

-Mike

One interesting note was that there is an early concept drawing of Viper showing a level left-hand turnaround after the lift, then a straight drop down and climb into the first loop. That was in place of the curving first drop that Viper actually ended up having.

Eric

Yes! That had occured to me as well. Viper would be much better if it had a straight drop. It's not like Arrow was unfamiliar with the concept, they had used it before on such rides as Turn Of The Century/Demon:

Now if only we had an 18 story version of that, and a bit steeper!

I'm actually a big fan of Vipers first drop, its one of my favorite parts of the ride. I prefer its sharp dive angle element over the "make a u-turn and drop" design any day of the week.

There's actually a couple drawings up in Guest Relations, from what I remember they had Flashback, Viper, Batman and maybe Psyclone. I know they were taken down on one trip, and then put back up on my next. It was really weird!

Surprisingly enough, seeing Magic Mountain build this makes me want to get out to California even more than the other improvements. Not many parks celebrate their history like this, so to see SO much going into this, I honestly can't wait to see the end result for myself.

Job well done Magic Mountain, job well done.

Wow, that's shocking for you to say that. To me, that stuff doesn't mean that much because Magic Mountain is far off from being my homepark. I think it's really great for people that visit there all the time, or were that old to remember some of that stuf. For me, I went there only once for a vacation, and thus I don't remember any of that stuff because it's not my homepark. If it was my park, I think I would enjoy all that stuff because I remember it.

Different people like different things. I personally love it when a park shows off its history. I like how they embrace it and don't just push it under the rug. I get a little bit of a high out of it. It's kind of nerdy, but I really like to look back at the way the park has played out over the years. That is just me, and I'm sure there are many other people that feel the same way. Everyone is different.

Maybe I'm like this because I have a homepark that is rich in history, but it is owned by a company that doesn't want anything to do with it.

Hey Robb - can you PLLLLEEEZE post a HQ version of that Revolution drawing??? I'd love to dive in to those equations!

This is soo cool - Magic Mountain has a life again!

I didn't go to the park until 1995, but I'd sure like to see those trolls around with Daffy, etc. I think their stoner eyes are what make them scary looking... they could use a few changes But those Jughead hats are so cool!

I have a pic of the 'original Viper' from the newspaper with the straight drop - I'll post it if I can find it (or if someone else beats me too it first ...)

Vortex at KI also had a weird apex - the drawing for that wasn't too good.

• 1 month later...

not to change the subject but is there anything on the magic pagoda like a web site or video? i loved going in there and to be able to stay in for as long as i wanted to. plus i used to jump on the jet streamer if i saw an empty boat. not that i condone this now but i was in my early 12's

You would jump on Jet Streamer from Magic Pagoda? That is a pretty large jump! Also I don't think there are many pictures of Magic Pagoda out there. When I had been running my site I had tried to acquire a picture of it, and was never able to find anybody with one.

This museum is a very good idea for the park. As a coaster enthusiast and a BIG fan of SFMM I cant wait to see it in person!....this shows that SFMM is serious about this transformation and I can tell that things are improving and will continue to under this new management.