TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom vs California's Great America

SFDK or CGA  

77 members have voted

1. 1. SFDK or CGA

• SFDK
    • CGA

I maybe going to both parks. I forgot that I could use my SFMM season pass at SFDK. So depending on how much it costs to get in CGA I might be able to go to both!

I was actually going to suggest trying to hit both if you can. I wouldn't say Medusa is better than Flight Deck, they both have awesome elements to them. Medusa is longer, but Flight Deck is definitely more forceful IMO. While the Boomerang at SFDK hurts, Invertigo is aggressive. So many parallels in the two parks, both definitely worth hitting up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFDK > CGA

I agree with this statement.

The great thing I'm noticing with the CF take over of CGA, is a possible surge in the battle between the two "home" parks. CGA is getting a new ICE show, the new top spin with FX, hours, Haunt, and a new woodie next year. SFDK is getting the Tony Hawk coaster, the huge revamp from the previous season.....

I dont know about you, but I'm excited.

How much does it cost to get into CGA?

It's around $52-$53, but you can buy tickets online for around $35. Hope that helps.

Hold on there partner. They did not announce the single day prices for this season yet. Judging by some of the other parks, it should (and hopefully will) be around $30-$35.

While the Boomerang at SFDK hurts, Invertigo is aggressive.

Yay! Someone agrees with me! I've always thought the Booomerang was way too rough, but Invertigo is super intense. I love how much forces there are.

That must have been the only Boomerang you've ridden. I've ridden 4 diffrent Regular Boomerangs and SFDK's was by far the smoothest. And as for Invertigo, just wait til you get on DejaVu.

Boomerang is painful but still fun. My favorite part is when it catches the chain on the second lift....man that's rough. Invertigo on the other hand catches the train pretty smoothly on both lifts, a vast improvement over the Boomerang. Invertigo does have a bit of roughness to it but you don't feel it as much I think because Vekoma had the good sense to put extra cushiony padding on the OTSRs so when the headbanging starts it's much less painful. Plus if you sit at either end of the train you really feel the G's at the bottom of the loop, etc. My favorite seat is the second to last row on the end of the train facing the first lift. After being pulled up it at the beginning before it lets you go, you are at the back of the train facing down so when the train is released you get the bonus feeling you would get going over a 'first drop.' Both parks are worth checking out if you can do it. Both parks are unique in their own ways and if you can only do one, no matter which one it is, it will be a day well spent.

Some shots of SFDK's Big Spin during fabrication have been posted here:

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/rides/ConstructionPhotos.aspx

The photos on the official site are small, so I made them a bit larger, and reposted them for you guys to check out. Credit goes to the SFDK for the photos.

Take a look at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's all-new Tony Hawk's Big Spin coaster as it begins to take shape. This exciting new roller coaster will allow guests to touch the "Sky" like never before with unique low-to-the-ground drops and quick hairpin turns that simulate skateboard legend Tony Hawk's signature tricks and stunts. Be sure to check back often as we keep you up-to-date on the construction process. Coming to the SKY late spring of 2008.

TH_1_b.jpg.60dc9e29f8b6a0e7834da97e83797d02.jpg

Quoted from the official website - "Workers assemble supports and track segments from Tony Hawk's Big Spin at the Gerstlauer factory in Germany. Once complete, the track and supports will be dismantled, painted and then shipped to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom."

TH_3_b.jpg.a93173b0c4bfaed5576766aea6ad0a81.jpg

TH_2_b.jpg.c39c6b63d4fd6242294cac98e01daa1a.jpg

"Vertical construction of Tony Hawk's Big Spin at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is set to begin in early April."

TH_4_b.jpg.de84af4eea86e24639f28ef58f6139e8.jpg

SFDK's version of Big Spin will be portable so the park can re-use Zonga's old slab and station.

Wow thanks for the pics Sean!! Early April; Why not now? If it's portable it should be able to be constructed quickly so it can be ready opening weekend.

Is the park even open right now? I would imagine that SFDK is going to take its time to theme up the area.

Wow thanks for the pics Sean!! Early April; Why not now? If it's portable it should be able to be constructed quickly so it can be ready opening weekend.

Is the park even open right now? I would imagine that SFDK is going to take its time to theme up the area.

SFDK opens this Saturday.

There are two HUGE things CGA has that SFDK doesn't have...STRAWS and LIDS!! haha.

Bottom line:

If you are going with smaller kids, go to SFDK because of the animals and 3 kids areas.

If you are going with teenagers or adults, go to CGA.

SFDK just does not have enough stuff to do if your not into the animals.

I went to both parks last summer on days where both parks were dead. I stayed at CGA longer because there were more rides to keep me occupied. Too bad you only can choose one park.

SFDK just does not have enough stuff to do if your not into the animals.

I agree, and it doesn't help when most of SFDK's flats are closed like they always are.

Plus CGA is a much "prettier" park IMO.

Let me preface this by saying that I have only been to Great America, so I can only judge SDK by pictures and its list of attractions.

I visited Great America this past summer and it was a disappointment. The park looked great. It was a really nice looking park with tons of landscaping, everything was freshly painted, it wasn't an open field but things weren't crammed together. But the attractions were mediocre at best. Grizzly isn't bad, but its about the most unexciting roller coaster I've ever been on. I didn't get a chance to get on Invertigo, but its clones aren't really any better than normal boomerangs in my opinion. You can't see much, and this makes the ride pretty dull. Demon is rough, and since it lacks the themeing is SF cousin has, its not very good. Vortex is short (both in height and in length) and is pretty boring. There's nothing special to it. The mad mouse is slow, and again very boring. Top Gun is the park's best coaster, and I'll admit its pretty good.

Other than Top Gun, the park's coasters can al be summarized by one word: boring. There is nothing special to any of them, they are very small in size and in length, and in my opinion you will be very disappointed by them. Survivor: The Ride, and Drop Zone are ok flats, but still, the park is very average. There is a water park, which is nice, but again its small and isn't exciting.

Basically if you go to Great America with no expectations, or extremely low ones, you will be pleasantly surprised an have a very nice day because the park is nice. But if you go there expecting a great amusement park and a vacation of a lifetime you will be very disappointed because the park is purely average.

At least with Discovery Kingdom you get V2, Medusa, and Roar. They at least seem like 3 coasters that are above average. Medusa looks great, as does Roar, and any Intamin Impulse is better than the Great America selection. Plus you get the Boomerang (which I don't think is much worse than Invertigo), and although the SLC isn't great, I'm sure it still beats Grizzly. You would also get Tony Hawk's Big Spin, which I'm sure will be better than Psycho Mouse at Great America. The flats at Discovery Kingdom are comparable to the ones at Great America, minus the drop tower, but you gain a rapids ride which I really think are enjoyable and can be ridden over and over. Then, after all this, you get the animals. I'd honestly say go to SFDK, purely for my average and extremely boring visit to Great America.

I agree Top Gun is short like the rest of the coasters at CGA but it is far from average, it is a very intense inverted coaster. Invertigo is different besides being inverted it catches the train smoother, has better restraint padding, and is more forcefull at the bottom of the loops than Boomerang. As far as rapids rides go, BOTH parks have one and they are both fun although I seem to remember you get a little wetter on the one at SFDK. If I were looking for longer coaster rides then I would go to DK. The only problem I have with DK is the layout..it is not one big circle like CGA but I guess that doesn't matter much.

I've only been to SFDK about 3-4 times, and each of those times either the rides took forever to open or they were down all day. The last time I went there over the summer, the only coasters that were open at opening were Medusa, Kong, and Boomerang (I didn't care about Cobra or Roadrunner). Roar didn't open until half way through the day with a one train operation, and V2 didn't open until much later.

That's what I like about CGA. Although their coasters are not spectacular, they keep them open! God forbid an amusement park would ever have their rides running! And SFDK's flats totally get smoked when compared to CGA's collection of flats.

^SFDK has one of the most bizzare layouts for a park I've ever been to.