TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sea World Abu Dhabi back on the docket for 2022

Jeez, people. Use freaking Google instead of looking like idiots.

Also, Dubai gets about 6 percent of its revenue from oil, so it's not trying to build up when the oil reserves run out. It's something else. I blame a rich sultan mad with power. And maybe a tiny penis since he wants the tallest buildings in the world.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Dubai can actually sustain this park. It's growing faster than people are coming in.

Of course it can sustain it. Have you seen the other, more ambitious projects that are happening in Dubai? These few parks are minor compared to other projects.

Dubai's population has more than doubled in the last 10 years, it is currently building a new airport that will be able to handle 40 million more passengers per year than ATL. On top of that, tourism has quadrupled in the past 8 years and shows no signs of stopping. The growth is really phenomenal, they just need to watch out for inflation.

Im no engineer, but these reclaimed islands dont look like the best place to build.....well anything. I can't even imagine the kinds of footers you would have to pour for a large coaster, let alone any substantial size building. I got to think in the long run, mother nature will win this one. A perfect example is the airport in Japan that was built on a reclaimed island. It has sunk over 4 four since its been built.

Actually, the soil sinkage was anticipated and has now stopped. It very easy to make artificial islands-all you have to do is drive the pylons deep enough into bedrock.

Geography lesson of the day:

Shows map depicting Dubai's exact location

Where is Dubai?

Epic fail.

Maybe I can sell fake marriages for our certain TPR friends who are not allowed in Dubai!

It will pay for my trip!

LMAO! Really, all I would have to do is be well behaved and act all butch, but I don't know if I can do that for more than 2 or 3 days, tops! I may just burst into Mary Poppins songs in the shower and start vogue-ing in the streets with any reference to Madonna. Guys will start grabbing "Lou credits", and I'll start screaming like a terified school-girl. But then, at that point, we're all getting flogged.

BACK ON TOPIC, this is really impressive, and I hope the plans go without a hitch. But the Middle East just scares me. I get chances to visit Isreal now and then, and I always chicken out after all the stories I've heard.

Anyway at least it should be fairly quiet as all the Americans will not come because they think we live in Saudi Arabia and will all get bombed or flogged and made to wear Bhurkas in public.

On a more serious note. The drugs laws here are very strict. If you have any amount on you you will be jailed for 4 years. That is the law. Obey it or do not come here. Its very simple really. Groovrider was an a$$hole about it and deserved everything he has got.

I love the fact that Dubai respects its country enough to tell you to obey the law or be arrested.

I wish my own country had followed their lead years ago

I love the fact that Dubai respects its country enough to tell you to obey the law or be arrested.

Yeah, now if they'd only treat their migrant construction workers like humans, they'd seem less like oppressive and greedy tyrants, and more like a civilized nation on the rise.

Although the drug laws seem like a great idea to be that strict, the new prison statistics for the US were released yesterday. 1 in 99 Americans are currently in jail. That's the highest percentage in history. That'd be great if it were more important for our government to concentrate on prison overpopulation rather than 100 other pointless things (like, um space travel to Mars, for instance). I shudder to think what it'd be like if we were that strict....but hey, maybe then Bud Selig could continue to care less about enforcing any rules.

Yeah, now if they'd only treat their migrant construction workers like humans, they'd seem less like oppressive and greedy tyrants, and more like a civilized nation on the rise.

Totally Agree, However, without those migrant workers none of the theme parks would ever be built.

Although the drug laws seem like a great idea to be that strict, the new prison statistics for the US were released yesterday. 1 in 99 Americans are currently in jail. That's the highest percentage in history. That'd be great if it were more important for our government to concentrate on prison overpopulation rather than 100 other pointless things (like, um space travel to Mars, for instance). I shudder to think what it'd be like if we were that strict....but hey, maybe then Bud Selig could continue to care less about enforcing any rules.

This is the legacy of "three-strikes" laws, as well as tougher sentences for low-level drug users--more people incarcerated at the taxpayers' expense (no wonder so many companies want to get into the prison business), who become "smarter" criminals while in the joint. There is a movement in courts now toward what is called "problem-solving" justice (or "altlernative sentencing"), wherein efforts are made to teach such offenders better behavior without locking them up for years at a crack. Courts and judges play a more active role in helping minor offenders, such as drug addicts, become contributing members of society. It seems more cost-effective than incarceration (but is still a bit controversial).

And now back to the topic at hand. Dubaidave, let me see if I'm understanding you here--it's a "good" thing that these migrant workers are exploited just so we can have theme parks in the Middle East? (I'm not trying to be a wise guy--I'd just like you to elaborate a bit.)

Paint me ignorant, but I've HEARD of Dubai in news & articles here & there, but never really knew WHERE it was (I knew it was near Iran somewhere) & what the "deal" with the country is. Been doing some reading & it looks like this is a BIG score for BEC to build on that island. the publicity alone is gonna make 'em that much richer.

I always picture myself retiring in some (safe) foreign country & living somewhere "different" like this...having a BG so close by would make it feel like home (Tampa).

Very cool. I love the Shamu shaped island.

Edited to add that sometime in the last year Nat'l Geographic ran a cover story on Dubai covering both the vision that lead to such plans, and also the plight of the workers involved. It's a very interesting situation, to have the poorest of poor building a playground for the wealthiest in the world.

On a more serious note. The drugs laws here are very strict. If you have any amount on you you will be jailed for 4 years. That is the law. Obey it or do not come here. Its very simple really. Groovrider was an a$$hole about it and deserved everything he has got.

He was an idiot about it and I don't feel sorry for him, but nobody deserves 4 years for such an insanely low amount. Draconian measures such as these call into question the viability of Dubai as an entertainment hub. A huge portion of entertainers share Grooverider's habits and may decide Dubai is just not worth the hassle. Of course, they could get around this by just throwing large amounts of cash at performers.

There's a couple things I don't get about this project.

1. Someone said this earlier but I wanted to repeat how I don't understand the point of holding animals captive, making a man-made island on the habitat in which the animals live formally, and then having them on that island where they'd be anyway, except now they're an attraction.

2. So is the parking going to be in that section of "palm leafs" that jet out to the sides? Again, if they're doing this, i don't get it. All the crap from the cars (fluids, oil, human trash) is going to be going right into the ocean!

3. It just doesn't make sense that a company that means well for the sea animals would build an island destroying the very habitat many of them live in for profit. I think it's a great idea, very different from anything else out there, I just see it being a problem with how the parks are way off the coast like that.

To me its like one of those "just cause you can doesn't mean you should" kinda ideas.

There's a couple things I don't get about this project.

1. Someone said this earlier but I wanted to repeat how I don't understand the point of holding animals captive, making a man-made island on the habitat in which the animals live formally, and then having them on that island where they'd be anyway, except now they're an attraction.

See many orcas, polar bears, and manatees in the Persian Gulf do ya?

EDIT: Okay, upon researching it a bit further, perhaps an orca sighting isn't out of the question. Still, not the first place they come to mind. Point still stands.

2. So is the parking going to be in that section of "palm leafs" that jet out to the sides? Again, if they're doing this, i don't get it. All the crap from the cars (fluids, oil, human trash) is going to be going right into the ocean!

Didn't you listen to the webcast? BEC is moving in another direction....they're bucking the "Green" trend that's sweeping the world. It's all about pollution now!

3. It just doesn't make sense that a company that means well for the sea animals would build an island destroying the very habitat many of them live in for profit. I think it's a great idea, very different from anything else out there, I just see it being a problem with how the parks are way off the coast like that.

See above response.

Cmon, dude. Give BEC a little more credit than that.

^No. Its a company, bottom line.

I'll believe how well the parks maintained to keeping the surrounding ocean clean when I see it. It doesn't matter how "green" BEC is, being out on the coast like that with big groups of people (especially the size to keep a park like this profitable) is not easy to keep clean.

Regardless of which animals live in the Persian Gulf, when you plop large man made islands off the coast, you're destroying some sort of habitat, polar bears or not. It's just ironic that Seaworld happens to be that company doing it this time.

Sea World is not the company doing it. They are just going to be on one of the islands that are being made. If they built the park or not, those islands will still be made. Yes it is destroying a habitat, but if you think about it, building ANYTHING, in the water or not, is in fact destroying a habitat.

Also, all of the palm islands and the semicircle surrounding them are not all BEC, only the killer whale shaped island is. Everything else is for residential or other buisnesses. As are the world islands being made nearby. So your theory of the parking on the "fronds" is completely wrong.

So, I'm enjoying this thread...but I have to ask a serious question:

Where is Dubai?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if the Bush Gardens had both Sheekra and Griffith? And one could be built on top of the other one, so that instead of one having a 200 foot drop, it could have a 600 foot drop.

Would that be awesome!!!

I'll believe how well the parks maintained to keeping the surrounding ocean clean when I see it. It doesn't matter how "green" BEC is, being out on the coast like that with big groups of people (especially the size to keep a park like this profitable) is not easy to keep clean.

It's just ironic that Seaworld happens to be that company doing it this time.

Where is Sea World San Diego again?

So, I'm enjoying this thread...but I have to ask a serious question:

Where is Dubai?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if the Bush Gardens had both Sheekra and Griffith? And one could be built on top of the other one, so that instead of one having a 200 foot drop, it could have a 600 foot drop.

Would that be awesome!!!

Either you have the worse sense of sarcasm I have ever seen or this may be the worst post I have read. So a shrub (Bush not Busch) has two dive machines. One that is based on a screeching sound and the other is themed to Family guy (griffith not Griffin). Then when you combine the two 200 foot drops you end up with a 600 foot drop. (200+200=600?) Adding to this mishap is the 20th time someone asked where this place is while using a device that can easily find the answer to said question. Course considering your last sentence is a question, but you end it with multiple exclamation points leads me to believe questioning is also not your greatest skill.

Every young poster on the site should read this as proof that it is not just the teens who butcher posts.