TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've only been to SFMM 4 times (The last time was for TPR's Media Day for Tatsu-that was fun- but anyway)-

I read on a website within the last month (and no, I cannot recall which one, I browse as many theme park websites as I can with my usual half hour a day on the internet)- that the new coaster was either going where Deja Vu is now (BOOO-I still miss DV at my homepark of SFGA) or that it was going 'near' Batman.

If either of these is true, I hope that it's the one that doesn't require DV's removal.

That's my .02 (but it's not really even mine-credit goes to where ever I read it).

Anywho . . .here's to the new woodie at SFMM regardless.

Magic Mountain adding wooden coaster in 2009

Terminator: Salvation

Six Flags Magic Mountain officials confirmed plans to add a wooden roller coaster in 2009 with details on track specifications, location and theme likely to come in September.

Six Flags Chief Executive Mark Shapiro mentioned during a speech in June before the American Coaster Enthusiasts that the Valencia amusement park would be getting a Great Coasters International woodie themed to the upcoming “Terminator Salvation” movie. (Hat tip to Screamscape and CoasterBuzz.)

Opening in May 2009, “Terminator Salvation” stars Christian Bale in the fourth installment of the sci-fi franchise, directed this time by McG.

Magic Mountain has not added a new roller coaster since the flying Tatsu in 2006, opting for a $10-million upgrade to the troubled X coaster this year. Since 2006, the “extreme park” has removed the wooden Psyclone coaster, steel Flashback coaster and Freefall thrill ride.

so apperently it is going to be a wooden coaster..... cant wait for the details...... WOOHOO!!!!!

link

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/magic-mountain-woode-2357/

All that really confirms for me is the ride is going to be built out of wood, which most people here already had agreed with. I must say that I'm still a little surprised the park would go with wood, but I think it'll be good for the park.

I really thought that little tidbit was "confirmed" a few weeks ago when Shapiro announced "Magic Mountain will be getting a wood coaster..."

I thought all we don't know yet is the layout, location, etc, etc....

--Robb

It just reiterates what was said at the convention by Shapiro.

Yeah, it bugged me that the last "article" in that blog relating to Magic Mountain had Screamscape as its only source. It's like he's just posting the latest buzz and rumors in a more formal setting.

I wonder if they are really going to go for the "Terminator" theme, which some people here seem to think is improbable, because there is a Terminator "themed" ride at Universal.

Guess we'll have to wait until it's confirmed, but it sounds so cool to me.

Yeah, it bugged me that the last "article" in that blog relating to Magic Mountain had Screamscape as its only source. It's like he's just posting the latest buzz and rumors in a more formal setting.

Bingo!

That's why I was really questioning even the validity of the GCI woodie. The only place I've read it is at Screamscape. I'm sure it's a woodie (if rcdb changing the ride type is any indication), but still not convinced of all the details.

• 1 month later...
I wonder if they are really going to go for the "Terminator" theme, which some people here seem to think is improbable, because there is a Terminator "themed" ride at Universal.

Guess we'll have to wait until it's confirmed, but it sounds so cool to me.

Universal's Terminator is a 3D show, otherwise Six Flags would have named the ride something else or we would have seen some talk between Universal Studios and Six Flags I think. But, like you said, looks like we'll have to wait for the next few days.

But this brings a question to mind I may have already asked: why didnt Universal think of Terminator themed roller coaster first? My last visit to Universal Studios Hollywood confirmed my thoughts that it needs a new roller coaster, in my opinion.

^ That's because they move/get rid of all the stuff that 'doesn't matter'. Y'know, the stuff that used to give the park its character, like the Haunted Shack.

Magic Mountain usually announces their new stuff in the fall, so hopefully within the next 3 months or so we'll have a definitive answer to all this.