TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly don't care if we get an Evel Knievel clone (though not expecting that). If it's a good ride, then bring it on here at SFMM. No one in this area will have a clue that another one exists elsewhere. The GP couldn't care less about that.

Eric

^ Given the economy and Six Flags other issues, I don't think you're far off. But I wouldn't care, EK looks like a blast.

that's what i was figuring.

Six Flags in good times = original designs

Six Flags in bad times = Something like 10 Batman The Ride Clones, and the same ride showing up 4 times across the country. The GP doesn't care if there are clones.

Six Flags IS building some B&M Dive Machines in 09-10 from all I've been told from the most reliable sources, but I doubt any will show up here. SFMM is due for a woodie

^ Honestly, I don't think that's going to happen. SFMM has too much potential to close off areas.

"The GP doesn't care if there are clones." (pacoasterrider)

Unless you're a die-hard credit counter, I don't see why anyone would care. If it's a good ride, make more of 'em.

Eric

My God is it really true that the Wooden coaster is gonna be themed after Terminator? one that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of logical sense and two it tells me SF is really ***** out the place.

Notice

Tony Hawks - Nation-known franchise

Dark Knight - Batman (everyone knows) but more importantly summer blockbuster.

Evel Knievel - Nation-known franchise.

Goliath which was the oddball is a name i think is owned for SF to use on their coasters. which also doesn't make a whole lot of sense because Goliath the tall strong Philistine, doesn't conjure the image of flying ie like an inverted.

it made sense with Hypers because of the height.

Just saying when it comes to names and themes it doesn't matter. and Dark Knight while this time around is well known franchise of Six Flags, is more aimed towards a single movie which shows short term planning not long term.

the only thing i see them doing long term is fixing up the parks operations and the parks themselves. and Six Flags Dubai.

^ I think it's supposed to be themed after the Terminator movie coming out next summer which is no different than the Dark Knight rides themed after the movie that came out this summer.

Prior to a couple of months ago, I don't think many people beyond film buffs and comic book geeks probably knew what Dark Knight was.

--Robb

I wouldn't care if this coaster was a clone. I don't think it will be because Six Flags is putting most of it's money into the bigger six flags parks like GA and MM anyway. I just hope they cover this ride in theming. I personally, would like to see a pre ride video of some kind. Just to kind of get you pumped up about the ride. I want it to be more than just a ride. I want it to be a "story" that you ride. You know what I mean?

Whatever the ride is, I'm sure it won't disappoint. Magic Mountain and its higher ups carry great pride in offering some of the best and most unique roller coasters in the world (evidence being the love they gave to X2 this year), I have a feeling this one won't be an exception.

Even with a clone or two in the park, MM typically makes a ride that's similar in the chain, and upscales it a notch or two to be in contention with the other "xtreme rides" in the park. I can't wait to see how this one measures up to Magic Mountain standards.

When SF announced Evel Kneivel I thought it was a stupid idea for Six Flags St. Louis, but it turned out to be really good. Six Flags Magic Mountain only has one wooden coaster (two tracks). I'm sure they'll figure out some sort of good theme for it. Even if the theming is a total mess up, you still have a good coaster.

So according to this article, SFMM almost DID get the SFNE Dark Knight but ultimately passed on it. Probably because of the lackluster response. I really think Shapiro needs to stay out of the ride placement/development business, and leave that to park level execs.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/dark-knight-roller-c-2280/

SFMM is Shapiro's pride and joy; I think he'll put something unique in there.

The pride and joy that he tried to sell for real estate in 2006?

Pride and Joy Well, perhaps now with ow the park is cleaning up, but it's not Shapiro's pride and joy, but the company's. Although it is slowly being restored from the craphole it is in, I KNOW the Six Flags company has put more money into this park than any other park. I mean, we don't really see any other Six Flags park with a multi-D coaster (refurbed, I mght add).

This won't be a clone, I know that, but it might be similar.

^Yeah well, he now seems to think that SFGAM needs a splash battle(going by Screamscape), so that means SFGADV would get one too. SFGAM and SFGADV already have tons of family rides, and a new major thrill ride is needed.(for SFGAM at least) However, I'd wait until 2010 for a new coaster if it meant a good dark ride, sky swat, or screamin swing over any coaster. I know Screamscape isn't a great place for reliability, but it seems to be correct fairly often lately.

Shapiro's favorite park seems to be SFSTL or SFFT, as those two parks have had a lot of capital invested in them lately.

As for SFMM's new coaster, it should be great if it is anything like EK. However, just like Dark Knight, teenagers probably won't like it, and families will love it. I'm not saying that is bad as SFMM could use anther family coster. However, the reviews I heard coming off of EK were a lot like Dark Knight. So while it will be great for families, in the eyes of teenagers, the media, and enthusiasts,(which the park will rely on to help bring people in) the coaster isn't that great. Now, I loved EK, so this will be great for SFMM, but I think SFMM will have a tough time getting people to ride this coaster.

^ What? I've heard nothing but good things about EK, and this from enthusiasts who are a lot tougher to please.

A new woodie in So-Cal? The first one built in over a decade? I think just the opposite as you. I think this will be the easiest coaster for SFMM to market since Goliath. Mainly because they can market it to families as well as thrillseekers.

The one thing that Jay Thomas said about the new coaster is that we (enthusiasts) would really like it.

I believe him.

^Enthusiasts do seem to like EK, but our opinions only really matter when we are with the media. Nearly every teenager came off saying "That's gay" or "That sucked." Now, I know SF is trying to appeal to families, but just like the Dark Knight, I think any EK style coaster is going to get a lot of negative reviews.

I'm so glad we didn't get a Dark Knight coaster. Nothings worse than knowing its going to be disappointing before its even installed.

As far as how an EK clone might be, they don't look like anything too extreme, so i can understand some room for disappointment, especially for teenagers. Hopefully what we get will be another 50 feet taller and another 500 feet longer. A woodie not breaking 3,000 feet in length is just too short a ride, IMO.

^Enthusiasts do seem to like EK, but our opinions only really matter when we are with the media. Nearly every teenager came off saying "That's gay" or "That sucked." Now, I know SF is trying to appeal to families, but just like the Dark Knight, I think any EK style coaster is going to get a lot of negative reviews.

Anything a park can do to attract less of those highly articulate teens is a great idea to me.

A woodie not breaking 3,000 feet in length is just too short a ride, IMO.

Ravine Flyer II is AMAZING at 2,900 feet. It's just the right length. I wouldn't want it to be any longer because I'd rather it finish on a high note than putter out at the end like many coasters do. RFII easily made my top 3 woodies and I think it'll break the top 10 this year on Mitch's poll.

Some other top woodies that are under 3k include Cornball Express, The Raven, and Avalanche.