TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It says wood not steel. I am glad SFMM is getting a giant-maybe record breaking woodie that will be so kick a$$ it will rank on our lists even higher than Ghostrider. Thats why SFMM took out that awfle Physclone. They were thinking ahead.
GCI doesn't build "giant record breaking" rides.

Yeah, GCI believes in the "less is more" philosophy. Most of their rides are relatively small(not all but most), yet they are constantly rated some of the best wooden coasters around. They don't build coasters to scare you to death like Gravity Group or Intamin, but rather to be a coaster that is simply a lot of fun to ride.

Ok, I'm calling straight up shenanigans on the Terminator theme.

First, there is no source for this information. After doing a little research to try and find the origin of this leak, and to the best of my knowledge, it came from some random Joe on the forums of ultimaterollercoaster.com. This is all "according to his sources." The exact same lines he posted is quoted word for word in every other major forum, including this one, with nobody questioning the validity of it. To my knowledge, there was no "ACE Banquet recently," however CoasterCon was this past week, and I have never heard somebody refer to that event as a banquet.

Second, and quite possibly the most important, Terminator movies are not family films! Every single Terminator movie has been rated R. Why on earth would Shapiro theme a "family coaster" to a film series that, by law, requires its viewers to be at least 17 years old without an adult?

So either the Terminator theme report is completely bogus, or I have been giving Shapiro waaaay too much credit.

EDIT NOTE: While the directors of Terminator Salvation have mentioned the possibility of the film being rated PG-13, they also said that they won't compromise the film's quality to attain the lower rating. Nevertheless, it still wouldn't make much sense to theme a "family coaster" on a series in which three out of the four films are rated R.

Yeah but if you think about it Dark Knight id rated pg-13, The mummy is rated PG-13, All the superhero movies are PG-13,

I think the "family ride" means something about the height requirement than the overal theme.

Kick Ass please be my first good wooden rollercoaster.

RCDB=FACT.

Sure they have GREAT information. But who declared them the authority on upcoming coasters? Aren't they just guessing like everybody else?

I agree. There is way too many rumors circling around that you can't really believe anything any more. Not until an official press release comes out or info from an "Official resource" like someone who works at the park is stated.

A thought on how the coaster would fit the Terminator theme. Who's to say the wood structure wouldn't be painted? A lot of people are assuming it will be a natural wood color, but what if the entire thing was painted silver or grey? Scooby Doo Ghoster Coaster is painted blue after all.

Yeah they could paint the wood, but what was the last new coaster that had this done to it? A lot of old coasters were painted white and other colors, but these days they just splash on a coat of thompsons waterseal.

It seems like 2009 will be a coaster-filled season and a very busy one for GCI.

I personally wish they painted woodies more often. I love the look of coasters like White Cyclone. A silver woodie would be kind of weird, though. Counterintuitive, like painting a steel coaster to look like pine!

Add me to the people who see "Terminator" + woodie and instantly think "termites."

Since everyone keeps yelling at me at the SFMM thread, can someone please show me official news that SFMM is getting a GCI. I believe you all, but I want to see the artcile for myself. I've looked through this thread and have not found a link or a quote. I think more people than me would want that confirmation as well.

^There is no official confirmation yet. Just the news article stating a family coaster of some sort is on the way for 2009, and strong rumors suggesting Mark Shapiro talked about the coaster at CoasterCon. Take it for what you will.

^ I totally agree! At WCB, I kept thinking that the park really doesn't have something that's super re-rideable. Everything is either a little TOO intense or extreme for multiple spins. If Kentucky Rumbler is a good indication of the new GCI's, then MM will finally have a ride that you could reride over and over.

I hope it's unique because I was dissapointed when I first heard the rumor that it was wooden! But then I thought SFMM needs a good wooden coaster! The only thing is they need to take care of there wooden coasters! But I heard it'll be more of a family coaster then another intense coaster! That disappoints me! [/i]

I agree with Wes completely! The mountain doesn't really have something that is rerideable. I don't want to go on an extreme ride all the time! Sometimes I just want to ride something that is just plain fun, something that you can ride over and over again and it just not get old. But they'll have to maintain it to keep it from getting rough, because a ride isn't as fun if it's rough...

Watching six flags' stocks, I'm really not sure what six flags parks will still be left, or how many of these Six Flags new attraction rumors will be coming true. But if this rumor does come true, it would be nice to see SFMM get something relatively calm with decent airtime and not as intense as X or some ride of that type.

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja is TOTALLY re-rideable. I rode it like 10 times at WCB. LOL.

I guess the only problem was the 2 lift hills, got annoying after a while. But as far as the "less extreme" approach goes, I'm all for it. I love Ninja, Revolution, and even Gold Rusher Would be nice to add to the collection of terrain-type coasters.

Chris.

I personally hate Ninja and Gold Rusher! And Gold rusher has a flash pass I hate that Why put a flash pass on a ride no one ever rides! (Unless they are trying to waste time) Take the flash pass off GR and put it on a ride a lot of people ride X2!

I personally wish they painted woodies more often. I love the look of coasters like White Cyclone. A silver woodie would be kind of weird, though. Counterintuitive, like painting a steel coaster to look like pine!

Old woodies have to be painted to protect them from the elements because they didn't use pressure treated lumber. New woodies are made of treated wood that doesn't need to be painted.

Personally, I prefer the new way because too many parks are slack about keeping up the paint jobs and the "desperately needs a new paint job" look is hideous.