TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

Maybe the supports will be metal and the track wood. Who knows, they might be able to pull it off. I'm not saying I agree with it, but who knows.

After all, probably after the ride opens, we'll all forget about how it's not suppost to be themed after terminators, and enjoy the ride anyways.

--James

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the coaster is a good one, then Team Thriller should be right. All really good coasters have the ability to make the riders to forget about poor theming choices, or just the total lack of theming in general.

That being said, theming can add a lot to the overall experience and can take an otherwise average ride and make it really good. If this Terminator thing is correct, this could be one of the worst themes for a wooden coaster ever. SF better make this ride really good, or else the cheesy theming could ruin the experience.

Yes, there are multiple earthquake codes that all structures around here need to be built to. That's why you see woodies in places like CA & Japan looking like they have 100x the structural wood that they really need to have.

The quake that damaged Psyclone was the '94 Northridge quake which darn near liquified the ground Psyclone stood on, seeing as its an old dried up lake bed. This area took a ridiculous amount of seismic energy from that quake. Many structures collapsed or were heavily damaged, though Magic Mountain came through pretty well all things considered.

I totally forgot about the Earthquake code. That will make the structure for this even larger. This is going to be one massive looking GCI.

I find the terminator thing hard to believe, to be honest.

Its one thing to theme a ride to a movie, but to theme it to a movie that is new and has no guaranteed longevity? Its a bit strange to me.

Especially considering the nature of the ride.

Woodies can really get away with minimal theming anyway. Just throw some trees around it make a wooden station building and everything fine.

I guess in the end it wouldn't take away from the ride... but its just... odd.

Good for SFMM. After riding Evel Knievel I can say that you are in for one awesome ride.

The Terminator theme has me saying, "What the heck?", but then again so did Evel Knievel and now really like the name so maybe I'll just have to give it some time to grow on me.

I just hope that it ends up not being a clone of EK...Yes I know EK is a near clone but its a clone of a ride somewhere in Scandinavia. I doubt most of the GP and us (unless you go on a TPR trip) will get to ride Thunderbird.

Terminator for Six Flags? Thats a Universal thing!!! I really don't think a Terminator themed woodie is going to happen. It could be anything but that & I don't think it will be themed. Maybe an Evil Kenival or El Torro clone? I'd like to see that at SFMM.

To clear a few things up, the Terminator franchise is now owned my a company called Halcyon, who bought the rights in 2007. There seems to be a clear distinction between who owns the rights for the first three movies, versus Halcyon, who owns the rights to the future movies and licensing. This is probably why Six Flags will be VERY specific it's based on the movie coming out in 2009.

Most interestingly, check out the paragraph I bolded below. Seems to allude to the Six Flags licensing.

The Halcyon Company announced today the acquisition of all the "Terminator" franchise rights. These rights include the right to produce any future "Terminator" films, as well as all future merchandising and licensing rights, certain future revenues derived from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, as well as certain rights in the television project "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and the sole right to produce all future "Terminator" projects in any new or existing media.

The Halcyon Company is a recently formed, privately financed, film development, production and financing company, headed by co-CEOs Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek. "The 'Terminator' franchise represents by far the most popular and successful franchise not owned by a major studio," said Mr. Kubicek. "While we have several other projects in the works, we see this global franchise as a cornerstone of Halcyon's future business plans."

Anderson said, "We also plan to maximize the potential of the 'Terminator' franchise by entering into strategic relationships with world class merchandising and licensing partners. By quickly pursuing and finalizing these new opportunities, we are confident that all of these ventures can be completed in time to fully maximize their value by coinciding with the first of the new 'Terminator's' release."

GCI building a hybrid coaster? I really don't see that happening. GCI are all about wood... Right?

Hmmm... I wonder if this is the "Secret big project" GCI Joe was talking about on the Midwest trip? Or would the be Eval Keniev-however you spell it.

I am compeltely thrown for a loop about the whole theming choice, I mean, sure, a coaster is enjoyble no matter what its themed to, but there's a certain logic that goes behind it. I just don't see robots and technology surrounding a ride that looks like Kentucky Rumbler or Renegade. And besides, that one specific movie out of the whole franchise... I just don't see that being too long-lived as far as pop clture icons go. But who knows, maybe it'llb e like the Italian Job coasters, and will just be a good enough theme on it's own for a rollercoaster even after the movie itself has long since moved out of people's minds.

Anyway, thoguh, I am happy that they decided to put in such a good coaster. I am really happy that SFMM seems to be taking a turn for the better!

I really don't care what the name or theme of the ride is, I'll simply be grateful that SFMM gets a quality woodie. I mean, I have yet to ride a woodie that really wowed me (though Ghostrider did back in the day...and Psyclone when it first opened...but my woodie count is kinda low). In any event, Colossus just doesn't cut it (what happened to that ride?), and a solid woodie makes the most sense for the park's next coaster.

-Doug

Maybe the supports will be metal and the track wood.

Actually, the Terminator Theme would make a little more sense if the coaster was built this way. It might also increase its length of operation and quality ride experience in the long run.

Its also going around that this ride might be some sort of prototype for GCI? A steel frame would kind of explain that too, I don't think GCI has built a steel framed wood coaster yet.

Does anybody think Shapiro might have planned a mock up "slip" to see how much uproar would be created on the coaster sites, just based off rumors?

Although I think SF should stop trying to "majorly theme" every new ride that comes out because of how degraded it gets a year or so after the opening, I'm not gonna complain about the theme clashing with this ride until I see what they've got up they're sleeve. We really don't know what this ride is going to be like.

Even if it is themed to the new movie, it's still a marketing blunder IMO. Terminator is established as a USH attraction, new franchise/character/movie or not. It's still bound to create lots of confusion.

Maybe the supports will be metal and the track wood.

Actually, the Terminator Theme would make a little more sense if the coaster was built this way. It might also increase its length of operation and quality ride experience in the long run.

Its also going around that this ride might be some sort of prototype for GCI? A steel frame would kind of explain that too, I don't think GCI has built a steel framed wood coaster yet.

Does anybody think Shapiro might have planned a mock up "slip" to see how much uproar would be created on the coaster sites, just based off rumors?

Good point. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a steel frame, which would make perfect sense considering this is SFMM we're talking about.

Perhaps Intamin priced them out, so GCI was the next logical choice.

Either way I would support the Terminator theme, it sounds cool. The universal ride is almost a DECADE old, not to mention Universal caters to many tourist, while SFMM is mostly supported by locals.

Ok, I'm calling straight up shenanigans on the Terminator theme.

First, there is no source for this information. After doing a little research to try and find the origin of this leak, and to the best of my knowledge, it came from some random Joe on the forums of ultimaterollercoaster.com. This is all "according to his sources." The exact same lines he posted is quoted word for word in every other major forum, including this one, with nobody questioning the validity of it. To my knowledge, there was no "ACE Banquet recently," however CoasterCon was this past week, and I have never heard somebody refer to that event as a banquet.

Second, and quite possibly the most important, Terminator movies are not family films! Every single Terminator movie has been rated R. Why on earth would Shapiro theme a "family coaster" to a film series that, by law, requires its viewers to be at least 17 years old without an adult?

So either the Terminator theme report is completely bogus, or I have been giving Shapiro waaaay too much credit.

EDIT NOTE: While the directors of Terminator Salvation have mentioned the possibility of the film being rated PG-13, they also said that they won't compromise the film's quality to attain the lower rating. Nevertheless, it still wouldn't make much sense to theme a "family coaster" on a series in which three out of the four films are rated R.

Whether the Terminator rumour is genuine or not, the Six flags philosophy on the new coasters at the present time seems to be to go for a solid existing design, clone it and wrap it in licensed/branded packaging which are not entirely related to the ride experience itself, for example Tony Hawk, Evel Knievel, Batman in a Box

These names / brands aren't going to be as relative to guests in ten years time as they are to the guests at the parks today, so in this respect the thinking is very short term and quick fix

Of course the long term solution is taking the time to create something individual

That would be awesome to come around from either Riddler's or from behind the hill and see this massive monster of wood looming in front of you. And now the light went on in brain, if the theme mainly the queue line and station, and present the story and though you are the Terminator or something and have the area around the ride be chaotic, the theme would work. Can't wait.

And again, my bet is they will not do a clone of anything. Something this big will be completely fresh.