TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really just want to wait and hear some actual conformation for this. Not sure how many of you remember the old Wild Rumors section on Thrillride, but I'm pretty sure that this would have made it's way on there. Maybe not whopper of the week material, but still pretty high up there.

Overall I think the GCI part might have some truth to it, I'm still not 100% sold on wood so soon after the removal of Psyclone. The theming of the ride to Terminator however just really surprises me.

As far as enclosing it inside a building I'm sure they could... With that said I think the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Yes, a robotic theme for a wooden coaster does not mix well. I know we bashed Cedar Fair for odd and generic names, but I really don't think Six Flags is that far behind. It seems as though that all of their (new) rides are earning names from pop culture. Completely uncreative in my opinion.

I agree with all that has been said so far... A terminator woodie?! It could only possibly work if it were painted silver, or had enough theming to make a Disney park feel inadequate.

Also, why that movie speicfically as opposed to the whole series in general?

My guess is they jsut wanted to build a GCI woodie, and figured they might as well suck up to the governator along the way to amke getting permits easier.

Don't you think Terminator would be a good theme for a steel coaster? I Don't really think it fits with a wood coaster though.....it will be interesting to see how they pull this off.

How about a Wicker Man theme?

dutchposter.thumb.jpg.b04f8db4f431329051b41cb626739fbc.jpg

^I wish Psychlone had a Wicker Man Theme as in setting it on fire many moons ago, how many vertebrae injuries could have been prevented.

I'm in total agreeance that Terminator doesn't seem right for a wood coaster but, this project is still filed firmly in rumours so I guess we'll have to see.

Psyclone could have been called "Terminator" because that's what it did to people...

"Not sure how many of you remember the old Wild Rumors section on Thrillride" (AllenA07)

I really miss that. That column was one thing I looked forward to all week.

Eric

THANK GOD!!! SFMM is not getting a Tony Hawk or the el yucko Dark Knight. I can't picture a Dark Night at SFMM. I think Dark Night is awfle like everybody says-a not very well themed in the dark mouse. Who needs another mouse style coaster?-Since there are too many mouse coasters as it is why all of a sudden make an indoor one. YEY for a new giant woodie that will take Physclones place. I hope it will be like Eveil Kenivel or even larger!

It's been said that any future wooden coaster built in Psyclone's spot would be confused for Psyclone. I don't see where else it could go, besides undeveloped land outside the park's current borders. It is a "dead" corner of the park, though, and would be completely dead if not for Déjà Vu. A great new coaster is just what that area needs.

That's some pretty good news! Of the coaster selection they currently have, a great wood coaster is definately needed. I'm really glad that they decided that a "family" coaster for SFMM didn't limit them to a small install.

The theme choice is odd, but then again, depending on what happens in the next set of films, it may fit. Example, will there be a scene set in a present day amusement park?

If they go for the post apocalyptic look, the Psyclone graveyard is already partially themed.

And, considering that the next set of Terminator films is set to be a trilogy, it's a theme that will remain in the public's eye for the next 6 years as the movies roll out.

A good woodie in SoCal! A shocker that would be! I hope they can deliver. My brain is pretty baffled with the Terminator theme, but if they work it right, we might be getting one of he most unique woodies ever built. Especially, looking at SFFM's history, they only have two "exact" clones (Batman and Scream!), and one ride that was designed based off another coaster (Viper), and two that inspired new types of coaster designs (Superman and X). SFFM will not be getting a clone, mark my words. If we do, I will go onto that new ride and lick the grab bar.

We do need more flats, but hopefully they do what they did with X and Dejavu and (ironically) X2 and Thomas Town. You know, give us the main course, and then sneak in some desert under the table to keep us at the table. Who knows. We'll see when Shapiro has had a few less drinks.

I wonder if they'll do a Movie Backlot thing like at SFGAdv.

I'm I the only one who likes the idea of a Terminator themed wooden coaster at SFMM? Who cares if it's wood. Only geeks care about specifics like that. Most people will just enjoy the ride.

Anyway, it's just a rumor at this point. But it is a rumor directly from the horse's mouth.

Ghostrider is funny I rode it in September in 2004 & 2005 after it's annual rehab, and it was fine. Then last year I rode it in August before it's annual rehab and it was awful, I got pounded and I couldn't wait for the ride to be over.

Do the coasters at SFMM have to be built strong enough to withstand (or at least minimise damage from) earthquakes? I've heard that Psychlone was damaged by an earthquake which certainly wouldn't have helped it's rideability. So I imagine a hybrid structure wouldn't be out of the question.

I'm thankful it's not going to be a Dull Knight Coaster or a Tony Hawk clone.

Do the coasters at SFMM have to be built strong enough to withstand (or at least minimise damage from) earthquakes? I've heard that Psychlone was damaged by an earthquake which certainly wouldn't have helped it's rideability. So I imagine a hybrid structure wouldn't be out of the question.

Yes, there are multiple earthquake codes that all structures around here need to be built to. That's why you see woodies in places like CA & Japan looking like they have 100x the structural wood that they really need to have.

The quake that damaged Psyclone was the '94 Northridge quake which darn near liquified the ground Psyclone stood on, seeing as its an old dried up lake bed. This area took a ridiculous amount of seismic energy from that quake. Many structures collapsed or were heavily damaged, though Magic Mountain came through pretty well all things considered.