TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

I agree it's not likely it would be wood because of that but at the same time that hasn't stopped parks from building wood coasters in earthquake prone California before. If they did decide on a wood coaster it would have to be built with lots of extra support as required which would make the project more expensive than if it were built in another state. But "no inversions" and "family coaster" sounds like it's likely to not be steel eventhough a steel coaster can fall within those lines. Considering what happened with the lift hill shifting on Psyclone after that quake, as I understand it, and the extra maintenance required by a wood coaster, you have to wonder if MM would risk building another one...if they feel it's worth it then that's what we'll see. I would hope they have learned from their mistakes and this time if it is wood it won't just be something that was plopped down at the last minute but instead a very well designed, thought out, and well built ride.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No wood in California because of earthquakes? We have, what, two Giant Dippers, GhostRider, Colossus, Grizzly, and ROAR!

A good wooden coaster is quite possible here in "earthquake country." But, of course, it needs to be structurally sound. That's why GhostRider has about twice the wood that a comparable sized coaster would have. Colossus hasn't fallen down yet, has it? (though it feels like it...LOL!!!).

The area where Psyclone was has some unstable ground (from what I've heard), so any coaster that might go there would need some extra TLC in its design, or perhaps not ever use that area for a coaster again.

I wouldn't rule out any new wooden coasters at SFMM, but I won't expect to see one that soon. There's too many other things to do there, and they're getting around to them.

Eric

^Mountain Express

I'm sure they could put a coaster wherever they wanted to, but I think the size of space back by where Psyclone was is underestimated. Its a pretty serious plot of land where basically anything could be put (or started) back there.

In my opinion, their best bet building out there if they were going to make a ride might be an out and back, the station being where Psyclones was and the rest of the ride stretching across the back of the park to where Dive Devil or the Go Carts are and coming back. That space still allows room for helixs and whatnot. They could even make a new "area" much like they did with Riddlers, if they built the station against that east side of the park allowing for more room in that corner.

But because of its size there's just so much room for any type of expansion anywhere in the park.

When SFMM sits in the long shadow of DL,DCA,Uni,&Knotts - they can always need new coasters. That is their one point of uniqueness in the local market, which the other parks cannot or do not really pursue.

And, SFMM is missing a few styles of coasters that would help fill in the park. Their goal of family audience and coaster loving ways do not have to be mutually exclusive.

"I think any sort of B&M would be amazing." (Team Thriller)

We have four B&Ms already. I can't think of any other kind---except for a dive machine---that SFMM doesn't already have.

Eric

El Toro would be the best buisness decision. A Eurofighter would be really cool also.

With the value of the dollar right now, I think another El Toro is completely out of the question. As far as I know, the track is all manufactured by Intamin in Europe which means Six Flags would have to pay a lot more for it than getting a wood coaster from one of the American companies. I think that the same would apply to any coaster by a company that manufactures the rides in Europe and then ships them over to the States.

^I've heard that the pre-fabs cut down on cost becuase it takes less man power and man hours to make them. Lasers cut the track, it's made in puzzle piece-esque sections, so paid workers don't have to hand-cut everything (on site) and then readjust and whatever to make it fit. I don't know how much the shipping would increase the cost of the ride though.

^ As interesting as that would be, I personally doubt it because of the similarities that the Eagle prototype have with X2. The two of them are kissing cousins of each other, with the Eagle using a similar car idea, just aligning the quests parallel to the track instead of horizontal. Though the Eagle would fit the parameters set by the blog post, I doubt that it would be the right option.

I think a Mack Bobsled would be nice for Magic Mountain as it would be unique and family friendly. Something like the Caveman Bobsled @ Parc Astriex would be great IMO.

SFMM needs a Kumba clone!

I think any sort of B&M would be amazing.

--James

I think they have enough B&M. a clone like Kumba would not create a much different experience from what Scream offers.

If anything A prefab Intamin woodie, an Aquatrax, or a dive machine would be a good addition to create a different experience from all of their others ride

Six Flags Magic Mountain WILL NOT be building a massive thrill ride like an Intamin pre-fab or dive machine in 2009, so stop saying it can be done. Shapiro said in the interview that this will be a family coaster which means something up to the size of Evel Knievel. Sure a ride like El Toro or Sheikra would be great, but it's not going to happen at Magic Mountain in 2009. Maybe by 2012 it will be an option, but Magic Mountain is building up its family ride selection first. If you want to ride a dive machine at a Six Flags park in 2009, go to Great Adventure or Great America.

As for what this will be, I hope it will be an EK clone as it will be a great coaster that will appeal to anyone tall enough to ride. Of course, Six Flags has had a lot of surprises lately, so it could be something completely unexpected. Someone mentioned a bobsled, and that would be a great addition as it will be family friendly, and it will be unlike anything in the region.

^Do you mean near future? Or long term?

Six Flags probably don't know whats happening to the park much over 5-7 years from now, so to make a statement like that sounds a little far fetched to me. Near future you're probably right - Long term, who knows?