TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain SFMM 2009 Coaster - Termintor?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This question was brought up at the Spain/ Mini Europe DVD release party during the Q&A. At the time, Jay or Neil said that the coaster would be a Dark Night or Tony Hawk "TYPE" of ride. That does leave it open to many different possibilities; however, I wouldn't venture too far away from those ideas.

^ Who says SFA deserves a coaster more than SFMM?

"...at a park I've never been to...nor will ever go to just because I'm completely at the other end of the country" (Coasterlicious)

I thought that at one time about Walt Disney World, but I did finally go there---at age 42. And I went back once again at age 47. You'll get out here if you save for it and make plans. You'll be glad you did.

Eric

SFMM has been getting coaster after coaster since at least 2003 at the rate of one every two years while SFA remains the ONLY park in the chain to not recieve a new coaster since 2001 now that SFOT is recieiving a coaster for 2008.

SFMM needs flats more than they need yet another coaster right now.

If you read RCDB, you will find out that is a steel coaster. So I think we can rule out a GCI.

Why does everyone assume that RCDB is 100% accurate when it comes to unannounced rides?

If you ask me, RCDB is just putting "steel" because it's obviously very unlikely that SFMM will get a new wooden coaster anytime soon.

Honestly, GP in SoCal don't care for a new wooden coaster. SoCal's experience with wood is Ghostrider and Colossus. It seems obvious to me that a steel coaster will draw in more guests than a wooden coaster in this market.

Factor in earthquake potential and how park management and park maintainance feel about wood coasters and it all makes it even more unlikely.

^ Actually from what I understand of physics (granted it isn't much, so correct me if I'm wrong), a wooden structure would allow more flexibility than steel, and therefore handle the lateral forces of an earthquake more effectively than a steel structure would. It's when things don't flex that they break. The forces have to be released somewhere.

What makes any of you think Six Flags is going to put in an Intamin coaster at this time? (Or Vekoma for that matter?)

Intamin has not been on top of Shapiro's list, especially after Kentucky Kingdom's incident and other reliability issues as of late. Vekoma. Enough Said. When they came to "fix" DejaVu at Six Flags Great America, it was closed for the next three days after operating everyday for a few months. Shapiro will only be putting in products he knows are reliable and have acceptable capacity.

Many signs point to a GCI(Reliable, maintainable, proven-product) which probably may or may not go where Psyclone was if the park doesn't want their customers to relate the two rides. The 48" minimum height requirement is a good clue IMO. Other signs point to one of Mack's coasters. (Reliable, maintainable, proven-products) Shapiro apparently was very impressed with his visit to Europa Park(Mack's playground) and I wouldnt't be surprised to see more products from them in the coming years if The Dark Knight's are any indication.

^That's a very good point. I'm just hoping for more than that, it just doesn't seem like MM's type.

Earthquake factors have NOTHING to do with what kind of coaster MM will be putting in. Some of you forget there are huge buildings in LA (The USA Bank Tower at over 300 meters) only 25 miles south of MM, you're telling me they're worried about installing a 100 foot wood coaster because of Earthquakes? Makes no sense.

Maybe it could be a mix of Space Mountain, Revenge Of The Mummy & Rock N Roller??? That would be cool. I am SOOOO happy its not going to be a Tony Hawk clone or a Dark Knight. SFMM is not getting a Tony Hawk because hello! SFDK is getting one this year & a GCI woodie doesn't seem possible either since CGA is already going to get one in 09.

SFMM is not getting a Tony Hawk because hello! SFDK is getting one this year & a GCI woodie doesn't seem possible either since CGA is already going to get one in 09.

It has been said many times that SFMM and SFDK are over 300miles and at least a 6 hour drive apart. CGA is even farther. It wouldn't matter if SFMM got a TH or a woodie. Northern and Southern California are almost like seperate states.

Think of it this way.

SFSL got a TH this year, yet across the state, there is an exact model of the exact same ride. Same with SFOT and SFFT. WoF got Patriot in 2006, yet SFST already has an B&M invert, Batman. So don't think that SFMM and SFDK could not both have Tony Hawk's.

Earthquake factors have NOTHING to do with what kind of coaster MM will be putting in. Some of you forget there are huge buildings in LA (The USA Bank Tower at over 300 meters) only 25 miles south of MM, you're telling me they're worried about installing a 100 foot wood coaster because of Earthquakes? Makes no sense.

Uh, that wasn't my argument. It was only a little side note. Anyways, the Bank Tower isn't a wooden structure is it? They went with steel for that project. And I'm not saying that a sturdy wooden coaster can't be built. Wood coasters just need a LOT more wood in the SoCal area to be "earthquake proof"...just look at Colossus' and Ghostriders supports structures compared to wooden coasters not in earthquake prone areas.

*shrugs*

If I could pick a ride to put in MM I think I might pick a Euro-Fighter.

They are good intense but family friendly rides.

Speaking of Gerstlauer, I remember seeing something from the IAAPA coverage on

Screamscape.

Maybe this could be what is in store for MM.

Yeah, except for that it has inversions. I seriusly think that this will be a GCI. Don't Intamin woodies has a height restriction on 52"?

If I could pick a ride to put in MM I think I might pick a Euro-Fighter.

They are good intense but family friendly rides.

Speaking of Gerstlauer, I remember seeing something from the IAAPA coverage on

Screamscape.

Maybe this could be what is in store for MM.

Yeah, except for that it has inversions. I seriusly think that this will be a GCI. Don't Intamin woodies has a height restriction on 52"?

Spongebob has inversions and it is still being considered a family coaster.

Did you even read the article in the first place? Very first line: "Six Flags Magic Mountain officials said a family coaster with no inversions and a 48-inch height requirement is 'on track' for spring 2009."

For the new SFMM coaster,I gave more thought on what I would like to see.I would love to see a Highly Themed Vekoma family or junior coaster like Trailblazer at Hersheypark(coastergallery.com/2000/hp37a.html ) or Super Grover's Vapor Trail at Sesame Place (rcdb.com/ig487.htm?picture=1) I've been on both and they're fairly intense coasters the whole family can ride.It's not tall or feature massive elements,but it's a fun ride and the helixes pack a punch.Well,that's my two cents

Did you even read the article in the first place? Very first line: "Six Flags Magic Mountain officials said a family coaster with no inversions and a 48-inch height requirement is 'on track' for spring 2009."

I completely forgot about that....my bad.

Quote from Screamscape.

(2/29/08) The latest rumor from Six Flags Magic Mountain now indicates that the park could possibly be looking to lure both family guests as well as coaster enthusiasts back to The Mountain with the addition of a new GCI wooden coaster project, similar perhaps to the current Evel Knievel coaster going into Six Flags St. Louis. Certainly the park is due for a new woodie after taking the wrecking ball to Psyclone last year. Anyone know more?

"It has been said many times that SFMM and SFDK are over 300 miles and at least a six-hour drive apart. CGA is even farther. It wouldn't matter if SFMM got a TH or a woodie. Northern and Southern California are almost like separate states." (Sticky Nicky)

Several times in our history, dividing California into two states has actually been proposed! SoCal and NoCal are so...different from each other.

And just a geographical correction, CGA is actually closer to SFMM than SFDK is---by about 100 miles or so.

Eric

^I need to make a trip to those parks, they look nice, I've always been interested in them, and they're only 4 hours or so away.

Since California has earthquakes we all know it can't be a wood coaster!

Intamin Hyper! Intamin Hyper!